Tell me about Le Trec.

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
A few year ago I was going to try Le Trec Lincolnshire..... but my partner fell ill with Cancer...... now ready to start learning with Melody.... I am trying to get a small group together to train alongside me in the Lincoln area.... I have looked at classes maximum of 6 for 90 mins is £60 + 25p per mile so would be about £20 per person which I don’t think is bad really. One day I would like to compete for fun doing this and it gives me an aim while losing weight. Does anybody on here do Le Trec ? What level of rider would you need to be.

Last edited:
I have done a bit with Ziggy at our local riding club. It's great fun and I was a real novice at the time and with a novice pony too. You can do it in hand - we did our first ever little competition at in hand Trec: there's an obedience and accuracy test (like dressage but it doesn't matter what shape you make), a control of paces test - how fast can you walk? How slow can you trot? (or canter if ridden) and an obstacle test which is a hoot.

In the real thing you have a navigation and endurance section over a hacking route. Many Trec competitions at a low level miss this out, but it's fun, like orienteering on your pony!

The obstacles can be anything but are often things you will meet when out and about - gates, dustbins, flags, mazes, getting on and off from the wrong side....

I went to an indoor trec training session once and it was great fun. Not convinced Raf would be any good at it because he spooked at most of the obstacles and point blank refused to go near the bird table that I was supposed to collect an 'egg' from. We were also rubbish at mounting from the wrong side because Raf couldn't understand the concept and kept turning round and I couldn't coordinate in the opposite direction. Really good at low branches though and we got the hang of the s bend poles and the cantering through the narrow pole passage.

Such good fun, I can't understand why it isn't more popular but there doesn't seem to be much round here. There is one club but it's too far for me to travel to their training sessions. Hope you enjoy :)

Reactions: Trewsers
I did the outdoor trec pairs and we came second.

Initially we went to the venue to watch, walk round and learn.
Then it was booked and I went as a stand in as the other person was unwell.
For level one you need a horse fit enough to trot and canter ten to twelve miles. We did stop at the compulsory stops, and to check the map. My friend traced the map and had that role, I kept us to a steady pace throughout.
Then we went onto the control of paces. Walk fast then canter slow.
Then we went onto the obstacles which was possibly two miles of fields. Some mounted some unmounted.
It's right up my street so I was competitive. :)

Reactions: Trewsers
I went to an indoor trec training session once and it was great fun. Not convinced Raf would be any good at it because he spooked at most of the obstacles and point blank refused to go near the bird table that I was supposed to collect an 'egg' from. We were also rubbish at mounting from the wrong side because Raf couldn't understand the concept and kept turning round and I couldn't coordinate in the opposite direction. Really good at low branches though and we got the hang of the s bend poles and the cantering through the narrow pole passage.

Such good fun, I can't understand why it isn't more popular but there doesn't seem to be much round here. There is one club but it's too far for me to travel to their training sessions. Hope you enjoy :)

Hahahahaha Raf is so like Storm sometimes by the sounds of it! I tried setting up obstacles at our old place in the arena, omg she was having none of them!!!!

Reactions: Bodshi
newrider.com