Tell me about sheep.

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Following on from Tina's thread about grass can anyone tell me about keeping sheep?
I have been pondering this for some time but my knowledge is almost none existant. Obviously if this is something I do decide to go ahead with I'll do plenty of research but am curious about fencing/shearing/feeding which breeds etc.
I have access to a good few acres of land thought about just a couple of sheep possibly for eating (although not sure I could raise them to eat at this stage) anyone?

This looks quite useful information

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/livestock/sheep/an-introduction-to-keeping-sheep/

I don't now much except you do need good stock fencing to keep them in.

Also the field needs to be in an area where dogs are unlikely to get in and chase.

I am also thinking about it but it wont be this year as my pasture was only sown in 2011 and I don't feel it is well established enough.

I like the idea of keeping Two to be slaughtered in Autumn but in truth I am not sure if I would get to attached to them:frown:

I would pick a breed that suits your local area to start.

Don't get Swaledales!lol Our local ones are a swale mix and they are like goats, they can get in and out of any field - fenced / dry stone walled - you name it they are clever and very good at climbing!!!lol And also I spend a lot of time un-hooking their horns from fencing - they have a habit of getting them stuck after they've had a jolly good scratch!!! We also have Herdwicks here, they're no trouble - and very hardy but I think they prefer the fell to lush, flat pasture. If you only get two then you'll probably get attached............(well, I would - I mean, I seem to get to know all their faces and there must be over a 100 here !!!lol)

Just wanted to add: reason I say they are like goats is if you are really wanting to just keep them in your field - you might struggle. I don't think they can get through post and rail - the lambs can and do, but not the big 'uns. There was one persistent offender that kept clambering up the dry stone wall into nowty neighbours field and eating his young tree shoots - hilarious!!! Farmer got a right ear full but I don't know what neighbour expected him to do about it (give the sheep a good talking to maybe?!)

lol my hubby has decided I am officially bonkers!
I too doubt I could raise them for eating although I do like the idea, mmmm tasty lamb and mint sauce.
Fencing would be a problem, they would be allowed to roam our top fields about 5 acres in total but I imagine they would get into YO mums garden and then I'd be in trouble!
We already have a goat (golden Guernsey) on the yard (belongs to one of the other liveries) and he's allowed to wander anywhere but never goes very far and hates getting his feet wet so tends to stay off the fields.
I think I'm just having a mid life crisis and instead of wanting to go out and find myself a toy boy or a fancy fast car I just want to get sheep and chickens and grow veg..... :nerd:

Shetland sheep too jump like jack in the boxes and ordinary sheep net fences are nothing to them. BOING. However most don't need shearing, the wool drops out of them and you can roo them ( pull ot out)
SHeep were put on this earth to come up with new and different way to die.

Get a nice big fat stupid lowland breed. Hill, mountain and rare breeds tend to be scatty as a box of frogs.

lol my hubby has decided I am officially bonkers!
I too doubt I could raise them for eating although I do like the idea, mmmm tasty lamb and mint sauce.
Fencing would be a problem, they would be allowed to roam our top fields about 5 acres in total but I imagine they would get into YO mums garden and then I'd be in trouble!
We already have a goat (golden Guernsey) on the yard (belongs to one of the other liveries) and he's allowed to wander anywhere but never goes very far and hates getting his feet wet so tends to stay off the fields.
I think I'm just having a mid life crisis and instead of wanting to go out and find myself a toy boy or a fancy fast car I just want to get sheep and chickens and grow veg..... :nerd:

Yes I think that's my trouble. I am past the men and kids stage and I am not much good at settling to knitting etc.

If I do get any I expect it will be the bog standard Romney Marsh ones we have around here. They are pretty hardy (enough for here at any rate), reasonably tame, don't tend to jump or climb and have good feet.

My yard won't be having the sheep back again this winter. They killed the fencing or escaped and went missing. Failing that they were always looking for new and increasing complicated ways to kill themselves. I like 'em but our fencing was in adequate and the shepherd not too grand at caring for them.

newrider.com