Temperature drop and yeehaw!

L

Lora

It's got down in the 20's last night, I could sure tell too! I pulled my horse out this afternoon and started to ride. Boy was he was steamy!

I decided after a few mini bucks and spins a lunge warmup may be in order (I'm getting a little smarter now about my pony's mood swings) for twenty minutes on lunge that little arab was trotting, then BAM! He's a wild bronc and daring me, etc. He was doing the strait up jumps, then a buck for florish. I didn't mind these, I know he's just fizzy.

But when started squaring me off, trying to change directions or imply a threat like coming at me, I was irritated.

Eventually I got back on and rode, he wanted to go so bad I just let him go into a canter. It was so offbalance he had a big trip in the back end where I just waited for him to right himself and went back to trot work.

the last bit we did some walking on a long rein and he looked so tired he'd like to lay down right there. He looked like a child coming off a major sugar rush and now has nothign left.

Anyone else getting this sort of thing this time of year?

I get this sort of behaviour the first few days after clipping my mare:D

I just give her time and make sure she doesn't cross any boundaries and she usually settles down.

:D Horses - never a dull moment :D

newrider.com