Tempted :(

Sep 16, 2004
Land of Leeds
Visit site
I know really i want something between 15h and 15.2hh but i cant help thinking sometimes that i want a pony. I sort of grew out of my 14.1hh. Here he is :
38357561.jpg
. But really i dont look that rediculous. I was about 15 then, now im 17 and am about 5ft8 ish. I only weigh about 9 stone. Im not gonna grow mucn now i dont think but for some reason i feel safer on ponies and love everything about them.

I guess what im really trying to say us anything that i like over 15hh is a TB type, which im not a massive fan of.

My mum and friend think i need something bigger, but but...:(:p.

i'm almost 5ft 7 and used to ride a 13.3hh. but with Bons being a native her barell took up a lot of my leg so i didn't look quite so daft on her. Theres no harm in broadening your search to look at ponies too :)

I think you look fine on him.
The thing with natives is that they have such a huge barrel usually that they take up legs really well.
My ex boyfriend is about 6ft/6ft1 with very long legs and he rode my 15.1 hw cob without a problem, his legs didnt even come past his belly.
Ive got a 14 hand welsh d and she really takes up the leg, she also rides more like a 15 hand than a 14 hand.

At the end of the day the horse is for you, and after all we own them to enjoy them and have fun with them/on them not be terrified. I love my lil boy he's 15 hh and alot of bone but a fab height !! I feel alot more confident on him than my prev 16.1 hh hanovarian !!

Go for a pony, you look great on your prev, you can carry it off !!

And like I said before, just have fun. ;)

you dont look big for that horse at all...
loads of people get horses too big for them and then cant handle all the horse benethe them.

Thanks, thats comforting then :). I just think the sort of horse i want is another Barnaby - i just want to go back to what i had before, but bigger. But to be honest it seems i need a clone of him :D. I want something fun and safe, yet a project i can bring on and school and maybe teach to jump properly and go competing. The main thing i want to do is compete but as both my budget and confidence are pretty low i need something that will give me my confidence yet will also go as far as id like to go (i want to compete in a 1 day event :)).

To me all that equals a nice 14.2hh, lol :).

Jen I had this with Grady.

I tried horse after horse and each time they got smaller and smaller and I ended up with Bry. She was the first horse I felt safe on.

I think it's about time you have what you need and if that comes in the package of a 14.3 pony then so be it.

Get a pony! :)
Or at least a smallish horse.
It sounds like that's what you would be more comfy with and you certainly don't look too big on that pony!

Jen...you know how much I love my fantastic little Twig and he's only 14.1hh. If you lived a bit closer I'd happily let you come up and have a ride on him and see if he felt like a small pony to you. Twig is a lot to handle and I can just about managed him (at 5'6 and 9 and a bit stone) but I'm not sure that a smaller and lighter rider could. Some ponies are built for adults!! ;)

Ponies are brilliant. I love their cheeky characters and the fact they feel less 'grown up' than a huge horse (not that I'm knocking horses, but at 5ft I prefer them smaller!).

Ponies are lovely. They're cheeky, intelligent, easy to keep and less panicky than horses and they're more affectionate than horses

Jenren i was exactly the same as you when i started looking, then i tried little bim and loved her and now im kooing for a second pony. Ive ridden a few horses since but feel much happier all round on something around the 14hh mark :) (and im your height but a fair bit heavier :eek: )

For me, riding is about feeling, not about the looks. Other people are free to disagree with this, but as long as I feel ok, I know it's ok. I am 5ft7'', 110lbs, and after riding a 17hh TB for a few weeks, my instructor put me on a 14.3 arab. First I felt like I didn't need any stirrups to mount, then I felt like I had too little horse under me, but that was just for a few seconds. Once that horse took a step, I knew we were right for each other. She has incredible stamina, speed, and gaits. When I galloped on her for the first time, I was laughing so loud, that I scared my RI, it was awesome, I felt like I had more horse under me, than anybody else in the group riding their huge 16-17hhs. It's down to the horse's heart, not to their dimensions.
Look for something that will feel right for you. If you are intimidated by the horse no matter what the reason, and if you don't feel safe with that horse, he will "read" you at once, and will never have any respect for you, and you both will end up unhappy with each other. On the other hand, with the right horse, you confidence will be very welcome by the horse, and your feeling safe will make him feel safe too. Feeling safe is one of the most important things for a horse. Once you are happy, the horse will be happy too. Looks cannot be more important than that.

Well I think you look fine on your pony and I too think ponies are fantastic, they are so alive, and their characteristics are amazing.

The is too much into "Your too tall you need a horse" Height means nothing as long as your balanced and if your still having fun with your pony and your pony is happy "Why Change"?.

Don't listen to people telling you what you should do, listen to your inner self. If you feel you would like a horse you don't have to take on a thoroughbred there are many breeds out there to choose from.

Follow your heart and what YOU want.

Best wishes

If you were to get a horse, but not a TB, what sort would you like? Molly, for example, is horse sized, but has a pony attitude and pony paces........but I think she's probably a bit too cobby for you....am I right? As someone up there said, theres loads of horses that aren't TB!

And, anyway, if you want to buy a pony, then get a pony.........:D :D

If your mum is buying the horse for you then it should be a choice you both make......not just what your mum wants.

You need myNewMare Summer ! She's wonderful. 14.2, but my 6ft 2 husband rides her without looking silly. She's a nothing breed, sturdy, sound - you feel safe on her, even though she has no brakes and no steering :eek: Plenty of good fun 'work to be done' with her, so she's not boring for me ... but equally, she's not dangerous, or silly, or high-strung.

So, yes, I'm voting for you going and getting yourself a good honest pony-type horse to regain the fun in it all again. Doesn't have to be expensive or particularly well-schooled - as long as his personality is good and honest, you can do all the schooling yourself and enjoy it.

newrider.com