Testing the waters, If I spend a little more what would I get

Is it specifically dressage your wanting to do hun? Just wondering if a trainer i know might be able to help you in your search. I know the found my other trainer a cracker recently. Just another option if it helps in your search

I saw that horse and thought of you! But if you want to bring one on all by yourself, I wouldn't give up the search quickly - there are so many ex racehorses out there looking for a good home, and you could be it :smile:

Nookster yes it is dressage.

Julie I went to see him. It was a real eye opener for me, he was nice they told me his full history. He is working long and low at the moment to perfect his balance. We had a couple of wobbles and a couple of full on agreements, he tested me I tested him. Owners were lovely. He moves really well but not a novice ride. Hearing what they went through with him has not easy listening.

I now have an idea of what a 6 year old would mean to take on and how I would expect them to work. He was a nice lad lead in and out the field, lives out ticks every box but did not light up my world.

I did go an see a rescue another 6 year old only back last year as was in a bad way when the center got him. He is from the same place as Chanter is from so they know me. He is jumping 3'3 and happy hacking but green in the school. He is not actually ready to be re-homed but they said as it was me they will think about it.:biggrin: BUT he is only 15.3 a little compact boy with great character. waiting for the lady to call me to discuss tomorrow.

All sounds positive OBC,and at least a viewing under your belt gives you some ideas.

Have to say I wouldn't have thought in this market you would have had to pay any more than your original budget (or even close to it TBH) if you willing to do a lo of the bringing on work yourself.Although depends what is around at the time I guess.

Fingers crossed you search goes well:smile:

Personally I think £2500 for an pretty much unschooled ex racer is a phenomenal amount to ask.

You will pick up ex racers either at the sales or straight from the yards at between £200 - £500. Certainly you won't pay more than £1000 especially if he doesn't have the speed to make it P2P, which isn't something that you would mind.

If you really do want something straight off the track, let me know, and I will put a friend who works on a flat racing yard on alert. They have some extremely well bred TB's, and she will know which move well and have potential.

I think you need to see a few more!

At less than £500 you will take a chance, some will be easy, some not rideable. At £1500 they should be ridden conventionally but not schooled, at £2500 I would expect to be able to do a Prelim at least tomorrow

If you haven't had a TB before ride a few, they are not for everyone, expect to negotiate every step, never pick an argument, know they are ( as one dressage judge told us) 'gentlemen in velvet jackets' and accept they are going to love vet visits and find places to break that other horses would ignore!!

EML my last horse of 5 years was a TB, very difficult to handle to start with and had a really buck on her.

Casting net wider and looking at a variety to see what I like best. I will not buy for the sack of buying as I can't afford to do that and I want another keeper.

ooo he looks great and a good price too!! you must go to view him too! Really like the fact that they say his talents lie in the dressage arena - perfect for you :)

Ex racers can be got at around £600 and sometimes even less reason being if they are no good they will probably end up in the factory. They can make good horses as they are usually well mannered but obviously you need to start pretty much from basics.You also have to bare in mind they are backed really young and lots have issues with joints etc so make sure they are sound. Personally i would not pay £2500 for a 6 year old ex racer that still requires loads of work. If you want to go down that route you would be as well getting an exracer for a few hundred quid and start from the beginning yourself. However, re-schooling an ex racer is a big commitment even for an experienced rider. But it can be a rewarding experience for the horse and rider but you have to devote a lot of time and energy to it. My daughter works all over the world riding racehorses for a living and even though she can ride just about anything she would say be careful if and when buying one. [mind you i could say that about any horse i suppose]

newrider.com