That left handed/ right handed theory again

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I noticed instantly with the cob on the track, that she grazes left to right and front to back. So nearest the water and resting spot first, moving along clockwise first. She's technically strip grazing herself. ( she's obviously not forward planning that she will be furthest away come winter! But, it's how the previous herd "taught" her to graze.

Cantering in a field she prefers to go through the middle or to the right. I know this because I have done a loose rein to see where she went a few times- it's definately us as riders that expect a straight line. On the left hedge she puts herself back into the middle :) (for a bit of fun you could try it) They follow the camber of the land.

When we walk from standing, we always step with the same foot first. It's the same for the horses isn't it.
Everyone go look at hooves today. :)

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I'll have to watch ours..................I hadn't noticed either way. Though from memory Storm preferred one rein to the other. Or that might have been me.

Billy definitely goes better one rein than the other. Confirmed yesterday by the instructor that sat on him. But last week when i was trying to work out my rise and fall, as he was always on the wrong leg, i shut my eyes and asked him to walk on and im pretty certain he was always going off the same leg.

Horses do have a handedness. But once humans start handling them, we must surely affect that? Just by always mounting and leading from the left.
I was told that when hacking I must alternate the diagonal in rising trot so as nt to make the ne sidedness worse. But both Maisie and I preferred the right diagonal and I think the right is preferred by most horses I have ridden, even though it could be my own crookedness that makes me feel that.
My new share is ridden by several people and no one seems to know her history. So I havent yet got far working her out.

It's no secret that Raf is very one sided. He always grazes with his right foot forwards and hs front feet are different shapes. An EP I had said his feet were different because of the way he grazed. He's also much more comfortable on the right rein than the left and always used to strike off in canter on the right lead although he seems to have evened out with that. That's why I think (and confirmed with the physio) that it's important for me to have my flat lessons (theoretically do some schooling on the flat, but I lack motivation hence the lessons). Schooling isn't my thing but it helps Raf to supple up, bit like Pilates for us I suppose.

We don't know whether the stiffness comes from being one-sided or whether it causes the one-sidedness. The EP suggested it might even have been the way he lay in the womb!

The cob always strikes off on the correct leg in canter. Ideal one less thing to teach then.

I lead from either side. If she's on the road, I am on her right. Leading to the paddock today she was choosing to be more to my right. But she cuts in on the right rein.

We don't do everything on the left, it just looks that way. Her mane being on the right needs me to be on that side.

I completely forgot to look at the hooves!

I am so forgetful. Yes on the road I always led the led mare from the right. Once a week for 14 years. And so did everyone else.

Hogan is happier being led on the left, which explains my neck and shoulder spasms. He'll lead on the right, but walks up better on the left.

Jess was always incredibly even, stands square naturally, picks up either canter lead as asked including counter and on the straight and grazes with alternate legs forward. Since her predominantly left fore lameness, she’ll chuck me onto the left diagonal in trot and prefers left lead canter. I’m now inclined to pick up left trot on anything, so think I’ve been compensating.
Niko is far less even/balanced, he’s always stood wonky, I’m starting to square him up when I halt him, hopefully he’ll get in the habit of it as we do it more.

My two lead from either side when being brought in or turned out. Most of the time i bring in both together, so its who ever ends up in whichever hand. However as billy will walk in close to me if im walking him across a bank i try to make sure hes led on my down hill side from me. With my set up and the public footpath near, if something is going to spook him it will come from the top side, so if hes on the top side more chance of him running over me as he freaks sideways onto me.
Although i think im more confident leading him on my right side as i have more strength in my right arm if he descides to be a numpty.

Funnily enough, when Hogan had his melt down at the runner coming up behind us, as I led him, he went round my back from left to right and shot past me on my right, where there was actually less room, and ended up facing me.

I looked up my old threads and I started this topic three years ago. Guess what she moves her left.
So I will check stationery to moving, is this still the case. :)
I suppose they roll on one side first then the other?

I dunno but I always go left foot first (and I'm right handed). I always put my left sock on first too. Is that because its my choice or because we're indoctrinated into working left to right? ?

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
The cob always strikes off on the correct leg in canter. Ideal one less thing to teach then.

Does she have a favourite lead if you just pop into a canter when you're hacking, or sets off in a canter across the field? I've noticed racehorses often change leads during the race, a change is as good as a rest and all that ...

I dunno but I always go left foot first (and I'm right handed). I always put my left sock on first too. Is that because its my choice or because we're indoctrinated into working left to right? ?

oooh I always put my left sock on first lol never given it any thought until now. Must observe mr t later....hahahaa
but I am left handed so always assume my left handed ness makes me do stuff a certain way. But I knit right handed.

Reactions: Huggy
Edited to alter the fact i misquoted the wrong person.
@Bodshi
Without looking I haven't a clue. But I suspect it's the left lead because that's the rein she finds easier.
However, she may well swap because that could explain why sometimes I have to rise and others be forwards or sit.

Last edited:
We are indoctrinated Left Right. Army drill shouting of LEFT!. Is that the same overseas where they drive on the right? I am left handed too and put my left sock on first and my left shoe.

newrider.com