That must feel better - photos

Wow that does look a lot. Mine went longer this time due to the covid thing - but nowhere near as much as that. Goodness, bet she feels loads more balanced.

Blimey! I wish Belle would grow good hooves, I think if I left her for a whole year hers wouldn’t grow that much. :(

That's without me seeing her for three months, so no work whatsoever.

I think they are born with good hooves or they are not?
And with the lockdown restrictions, a dose of luck thrown in.

Last edited:
I know it was out of your hands but if your horse hasnt seen a farrier i think your yard owner was being unresonable. I think its actually in my insurance that my horse should see a suitable trimmer for the health care. If you hadnt got her out of there how long would it have been.

Chunky will grow 3/4 of that on the spring grass in 6 weeks.

Reactions: Frances144 and MrA

And with the kickdown restrictions, a dose of luck thrown in.

Yes I think they are born with good or bad hooves. I think you can help them with supplements but overall I think it's genetic. Could be wrong but that's just my experience with ours.

What's really impressive is how little cracking there is on what you've taken off, that clearly wasn't going to chip itself off any time soon. I'm very jealous!

I know it was out of your hands but if your horse hasnt seen a farrier i think your yard owner was being unresonable. I think its actually in my insurance that my horse should see a suitable trimmer for the health care. If you hadnt got her out of there how long would it have been.

Chunky will grow 3/4 of that on the spring grass in 6 weeks.
No idea. Scary thought though.

What's really impressive is how little cracking there is on what you've taken off, that clearly wasn't going to chip itself off any time soon. I'm very jealous!
The back chipped off when it got too long. She's got a sand crack based on her conformation.
When I took her out inhand she was sounding rock hard, I will feel happier riding now she's been done.

Reactions: carthorse

And with the lockdown restrictions, a dose of luck thrown in.
That is a lot of strong growth! But, my trimmer always says that they grow can be linked to their workload - if you'd been doing a lot before and they were self trimming, there's be a lot of growth afterwards for a while!

I think it totally depends on the breeding, whether they have good feet from birth. Often good feet is lower down the list in terms of athleticism, talent and train ability.

Reactions: Trewsers
Some would say she was doing nothing before, but to me she was ticking over.
I wonder how much she walks about. And I wonder if I can set up a camera like @Ale has.

Reactions: MrA
I had the farrier on Monday and it surprised me how much he cut off considering it's only 6 weeks. Nearly as much as in the picture. He also commented that there was no bruising on his sole for the first time in nearly 5 years on his one foot. Ironically chunky hasn't had a rider on his back since early march. He's done some carriage driving and been lead out off Billy so he has been working. The farrier said he wondered if not having weight on his back was the reason why. He only gets the bruising on the one foot which I think is the one he had the pedal bone fracture in some 14 years ago. Be interesting to see if there is any correlation. Although it's the leg that he seems to be experiencing some lameness in the shoulder on so maybe he's not putting his foot to the floor if he's more arthritic.

Just need something to fasten the camera to a pole or a tree!

So some horses do fine self trimming. Do you think she wouldn't be one of them? Would these just grow and grow. Ales chip off when they get a little long.

I have no idea, he backs didn't need touching and the weak area on one chipped off.

I have a choice of trees :)

newrider.com