The "Bean" (Cleaning the Sheath)

Gracie

Pony Lover
Jan 27, 2001
Canada!
simply_sweet_gifts.tripod.com
Okay here it goes...
I know there is already many threads regarding sheath cleaning.
I looked through them, and even tried to revive an old thread, asked my question,but people seemed to skip through it.
(maybe because the thread is too long).
So I figured I'd start a new thread...
I cleaned Cherry last night and I was able to remove the bean.
But it was quite big!
I would say the size of a gumball (not perfectly round), but that size.
How big should they be?

Sorry can't answer your question, but i have one for you if you don't mind?

How far 'down' did you find the bean. Was it near the end of his 'little man' or did you have to dig for it? The reason I ask is that my pony seems to have his out all the time and is constantly weeing, I wondered whether the bean was stopping him emptying his bladder properly and whether I should perhaps be having a poke around, but I'm a bit scared as to how I go about it:eek:

ive never tried removing the bean,...afraid id get killed for trying...i do however clean their sheaths. ive readup on how to remove the bean - is it painful for them (ie will he notice if i attempt it and end up squashing me??) any tips?

Last edited:
The size of the bean will depend on how long it's not been in there, growing (ewww), along with lots of other factors.

ashlingm, if you've not removed one before, and the pony hasn't had it removed for a while, then I'd wait and get your vet to do it when he does an annual inspection or whatever ... and then after that you can practice. because if you have a big bean in there, yes it can hurt like hell. My vet says that's the only time he's ever got really hurt was getting himself in slightly the wrong position and getting very kicked by a gelding. You need to be able to stay in very close to his flank, and when you find it, hook the thing with your finger and hoik it out all in one smooth move.

If you're regularly cleaning him, though, with your hand inside the external parts of the sheath, then you will be able to feel the bean if you just go careful and take note of the different textures that your fingers come across. The regular folds and flaps of his body have one feel, the bean is altogether harder, more solid - less give to it .. it's like a roundish lump of solid grease. joePony's was about the size of the last part of my thumb when I pulled it out, which was a year after the vet cleaned it for him.

It has to be the most awful equestrian task!! even reading descriptions makes me feel nausea!!! lol !!

It's not 'caused' by gelding, no. It's a side-effect of gelding though. A stallion, wild or captive, will be using his penis in ways that a captive gelding is not.

horses4eva888 - Wild horses put up will all kinds of horrible discomforts so a 'bean', if they get one, is probably the last of their worries. But since most stallion have their appendage in work regullarly :eek: then the bean doesn't build up.

errr... no I don't think it's sweat. Mel will put us right on that, but it's more yukky, greasy, lubricating kind of greasy yuk. Not sweat.

Nope, not sweat - smegna - the sebacios secretion that keeps things supple. Definintly not sweat:eek:

To go rid of the bean I kind of prised it out like when you pop a spot... nice thought realy... It is a hardy waxy type thing think its discharge or smegma build up. Yummy...

well whoever is good at this job and knows what their doing? PLEASE come and "do" Pickle, my friend and I tried, didnt get any where close to cleaning it, he was doing hand stands :eek:,
I am glad that the trees are so thick to the road as anyone passing would look gobsmacked as I have been trying to "desensitise" Pickle to having those "bits" touched :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Bo's bean was about the size of a kidney bean ( and that shape too) and that was the first time he has been done, he was 8 :eek:
I waited until he needed sedating for bean hunting and managed to pop it out with a gentle squeeze (like spot popping!) I do clean the rest of his bits without problems but wasn't keen to try that for the first time just incase it hurt! hense waiting for a sedation.
I knew Bo had one as he would occasionally 'dribble' a bit, the vet said thats a sure sign!

newrider.com