The Chronicles of a New Rider - Part LVII

Pedro

... and Pimpao!
Oct 12, 2000
Visit site
Tuesday, 24 April

As is becoming usual, my first sight upon reaching the school was of the horses at pasture. While I walk along the wall towards the gate I always try to make up which horses are at pasture or being worked. It's a little "recognition" exercise. Some of the horses look a little alike, and the differences of lighting can confuse matters a bit. But even so, by elimination of possibilities if need be, I can always match a name to every horse in a couple of minutes. This time, though, something was not right. There were two horses that were hard to make apart, one of them must be Ice, but I didn't know who the other was. At first I thought it was the new mare, Lezíria, but when the horse in question started to pee I realized that it couldn't be her :). I just assumed it was Lord and I was being fooled by them being in the shadow.

I came in, said hello to everyone and proceeded to wait for the end of the previous lesson. Lotus "mom" arrived shortly after and, having greeted us, went to the fence to watch her horse. As soon as she came up to the paddock's fence (without calling out) Lotus ears perked up. His gaze on his owner drew the attention of the rest of the herd, who shortly after were grazing relaxed again. Not so Lotus, who stood gazing a few seconds more, then he walked the thirty meters to greet her. After he had been with his owner for a while one of the other horse, who I assumed to be Ice, came from the herd, and very gently and subtly took him back to the company of the others. When the owner joined me again I commented on Ice's behaviour. She asked me if that was not the new horse, and I was like "New horse? Is there a new horse?".
After all that was the new horse - called Pampilho - who, I was sad to learn, is replacing Astérix :(.

Astérix was hardly the best school horse, his nervousness and a couple of bad habits made him difficult for new riders (like myself) to ride him. Still he was a sweet curious horse and I really liked him - even if, I must admit it, he was not my favourite ride. I do hope he ends up in a nice home, I know I'll miss him.
Pampilho had arrived last Sunday and in just over two days was friends with the other horses. He was so relaxed in the midst of the small herd, that it looked as if they new him, and he the others, for a long time. He and Lotus had taken to each other strongly and that was why he had gone "rescue" him from the human.
After we had taken them from the pasture, I went to the boxes further inside to help close them up. When I got there I found both Pampilho and Lotus looking out from the later's box! I got a lead rope to take him to his proper place, but convincing him to leave Lotus took some gentle coaxing - and lots of whinnies. This under a choir of lewd jokes about Lotus sexual orientation and his "betrayal" of his owner :)!

Besides the usual students from Wednesday's lesson (April 25th is a holyday here and this time the school would be closed, so we anticipated our lesson) we had a couple of new students. They were friends of another student and were here for just this lesson. She had some experience but was a little rusty and rode Chèrie. He had no or very little time on saddle and was there just to accompany his girlfriend.
The lesson went along as normal. Posting, sitting trot with and without stirrups, circles at different gaits and finally canter. I always find that doing canter transitions with Mefisto can be even more frustrating than doing them with Astérix. The later was frustrating because he wouldn't understand what I wanted and required both correctness of aids and insistence. Mefisto is frustrating because he is so willing! I'm just gathering myself in preparation, about to ask, and he just jumps into canter... always on the right lead, no less! I'll learn nothing this way ;)!

After we were done with the cantering Francisco asked the student riding Pipas if she wanted a try at the jump which was set up between X and D. The pole was set to about just 1' 4'', nothing much. She did it twice and afterwards Francisco asked the second in line - the experienced new student - if she wanted to try it. She passed the offer, and there I was, fourth in line, wanting to raise up on the stirrups shouting "Me! Me! Please can I? Pleeeaaase!!!". As if he had read my mind, Francisco told me to give it a try.
I trotted past the others, turned inside just after C and pointed the two of us to the jump. I had turned too soon so we were going a little edgeways. Mefisto, thinking that I just wanted to go past the jump like I had done dozens of times today, started to turn out from it. I just kept him pointed to the jump and he understood what I wanted. I rose from the saddle as we got close and with a hop we were past. I slowed Mefisto down, who had picked a canter when passing the jump. Francisco told me to try again and to keep my eyes on the jump starting sooner, I did so and this time we were square on. This was pretty much the end of the lesson and soon after we were taking our horses to their boxes.

Jumping was a lot of fun! To be truthful barely could it be called jumping - more like a little hop while trotting than anything else. Still it was exciting, the anticipation more than the jump itself, but nevertheless...

Pedro Fortunato
Lisbon, Portugal

newrider.com