The cost of owning a youngster

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
So I have had Ginger for nearly 8 months and as you all know I like to do things properly so this is the current costs.

Jul
Purchased price: Gift from OH (love him)
Travel for first visit and collection - £50 fuel
Vet injections - £35 (free call out wednesdays)
Dentist - £30
Back lady - £45
Saddle fitter £45 to reflock dressage saddle to fit
New rugs as Chanter old ones didn't fit £350
Bridle - Gift from work
£555

Aug
Shoes - £45
Mud fever stuff £30
Mud X £25
£100

Sep
Wormer £15
Saddler £20 reflocked again

£35

Oct
Shoes - £50
Mud fever stuff - £20
Mud boots - £40
£110

Nov
Another rug £50
Hard feed - £25
Mud X - £25

£100

Dec
Shoes - £50
Saddler again and change of saddle £50
Feed - £25
£125

Jan
Back lady again £45
Dentist £10 call out
Feed £25
£80

Feb
Shoes - £50
Feed £25
£75

March
Back lady £25
Dentist £30
Feed £25
£80

£1150 This does not even cover stabling:cry:
Yes you read that right dentist 3 times, back 3 times, saddler 3 times and he is still not sound now

Ouch! When you itemise it out like that, I'm grateful that I'm only getting a bill for gelding, microchipping, passporting and vaccinating Boo!

Neither of ours are youngsters but they sure do cost a bit...................They both get their teeth done twice a year cos they're over 16 years old, so that's usually about £40 call out plus whatever needs doing. Wormers twice a year at £18 each. Worm egg counts each twice a year costs me about £40 via the vet. Chloe's medication each month costs me about £30. Storm's injections are about £300 all in every year. Trimming both every 8 weeks is £60. My monthly bedding and feed bill from local feed merchants is £190 per month - in winter this goes up even more. Storm's latest supplement is approx £40 per month. Flu and tet jabs (tet is every two years I think) approx £40 call out plus the jab which is about £20ish.
Thankfully both are hardy and don't need things like rugs and fleeces - but having said that I have an enormous pile of both laying around from when Joe was alive............
Oh, and Chloe's mud fever - well the vet bill for that was about £150 including the expensive creams and antibiotics. Her boots were £66.
Humph. No wonder I buy value toilet rolls!!!!!!!lol

I better keep quiet about the cost of mine else she will get cob napped.:running:

From July to now

One rug-won in competition
One rug purchased, worn twice 40

Physio lady 3 times, 120

Bag of feed 12 and still using

Vet, Vacs, teeth, worm, sedate 100

Trim 52 as I do myself now

Bridle 40

Saddler-O
Hard feed O

Insurance-huge!!,:cold:
Shoes O
Hay 0

Thats a good idea of your vets to have a free call out day.

Ouch at your bills! !!

Ouch indeed!

I had a spreadsheet but after a while I found it best not to look, as it is Millbry Hill store my back orders for Skratch etc to remind me of my bi monthly orders from them! I worked it out one day that with skratch, a flex product and a general vit and min her feed cost a day was something around the £1.70 mark - and then there are the days it has bute in... She's stuck with me whatever the cost so apart from taking advantage of offers I try not to look into it too much!

One of our very good local vets has call out days too which reduce it to £10 when they are in your zone, sadly not my vet though!

???

Purchase Price
Vet stuff
Saddle #1 incl numerous fittings
Saddle #2 incl numerous fittings
6 monthly chiro visits (more if needed)
Farrier
vet for random 'baby' field injuries
'gear' eg bits, bridles, longreining equipment .... numerous girths and girth sleeves ...

lessons!
lessons with pro!

urgh .... this is 'only' for a 12hh pony btw

Scary stuff isn't.

I did not include insurance or stabling etc This is just the youngster the old once cost me more as he is on bute every day plus lots of supplements.

The vets only do free Wednesday for jabs but it helps when you are paying for two

Not that much in my case.

Purchase two year old Summer.

Sold some jewellery plus hi jacked my mum and son lol

Own transport

Usual vet jabs, can't remember I have three done at once

Worming £10 per month (intelligent worming 10 mths at £10)

Extra 'head and four feet in field' £20 per month

Head collar and lead rope £5 approx.

Shires lightweight turn out rug approx £30

Extra hay/ feed. Don't know but not that much.

Rubber snaffle £12.

That's about it. This year I need to have her teeth checked soon before biting.

I will also have to buy a saddle and bridle.

I would have had to spend more but I have so much stuff for the others she 'shares' a lot of things:smile:

It isn't just youngsters OBC!!

I think I am going to have to have lovely but disappeared off this forum Norm out again to re-flock saddle - rubbing again on the back.

Have had back lady this month, and weather has been so horrendous this year, I don't think I have ever spent so much on hay!!

Tobes is very accident prone, so at one point in the winter, the vet was with us almost on a monthly basis!!!

I have an absolute never keep receipts or add it up policy! I don't want to know as it would be that bit harder to justify. I have a second job ghat pays for them anyway but even so....
While I try not to add it up, Logan was just so ridiculous I totted it up to around £2000 since January which includes castration, teeth, stabling, sarcoids, 2 lots of infections, 2 lots of wormer, delouser, hard feed to fatten him up etc etc Hope we are all done with treatments now so should be just everyday costs now (hopefully!)

newrider.com