The dog from China

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
I watched you being buried today. You were 18 months old. You had your life ahead of you. People failed you.

Your 'rescue' failed you. They sent you from China to the UK as an un-neutered male. Your homechecker failed you - if you were homechecked at all - by passing a home that was completely unsuitable for your needs. You don't place a large husky in a home with no garden and young children visiting.

Your owners failed you by not following the breed guidelines and giving up on you within three months. You are not supposed to let these dogs off the lead, as they have no recall, and they need lots of walking. But you knew best. A week ago you were being walked up the road, a happy dog. You got half an hour if you were lucky. Rest of the time stuck in kennels.

Today you are dead. What happened to cause that i don't know. but suddenly you were an evil dog. You were dangerous. Maybe you were but I had a rescue home found for you but they wouldn't let you go.

The vet failed you by killing you. Did they check that they were your legal owners and that you might have a return to base contract. Did they offer to rehome you?
I failed you when you were alive as i could not intervene. There are many reasons for this and they are personal and private.

But i will not fail you now. I will ensure that the RCVS take action to ensure that all pets registered with vets are fully registered. If they are a rescue dog and adopted, their adoption contract is on file, together with full notes that there is a return to base contract and the pet must not be killed without permission unless it is an emergency and unreceoverable.

You reminded me so much of a pony i saw go to its death. It had been rescued and rehabilitated - it reared so quite dangerous. It was completely retrained and was a lovely horse. It was sold, big mistake, to a nice girl, who then proceeded to get a caveman as a partner. He somehow found out about its past and wasn't going to have his partner at risk riding this dangerous horse. He insisted it be sent for slaughter. The knackers van arrived, the horse wisely wouldn't load. But we trained it too well, the silly bastard went in and off to his death. We just had to stand and watch. All down to the arrogance of the owners and keeprs.

It is the hardest feeling in the world to watch something so wrong but not be able to stop it.
I am sorry.

I watched you being buried today. You were 18 months old. You had your life ahead of you. People failed you.

Your 'rescue' failed you. They sent you from China to the UK as an un-neutered male. Your homechecker failed you - if you were homechecked at all - by passing a home that was completely unsuitable for your needs. You don't place a large husky in a home with no garden and young children visiting.

Your owners failed you by not following the breed guidelines and giving up on you within three months. You are not supposed to let these dogs off the lead, as they have no recall, and they need lots of walking. But you knew best. A week ago you were being walked up the road, a happy dog. You got half an hour if you were lucky. Rest of the time stuck in kennels.

Today you are dead. What happened to cause that i don't know. but suddenly you were an evil dog. You were dangerous. Maybe you were but I had a rescue home found for you but they wouldn't let you go.

The vet failed you by killing you. Did they check that they were your legal owners and that you might have a return to base contract. Did they offer to rehome you?
I failed you when you were alive as i could not intervene. There are many reasons for this and they are personal and private.

But i will not fail you now. I will ensure that the RCVS take action to ensure that all pets registered with vets are fully registered. If they are a rescue dog and adopted, their adoption contract is on file, together with full notes that there is a return to base contract and the pet must not be killed without permission unless it is an emergency and unreceoverable.

You reminded me so much of a pony i saw go to its death. It had been rescued and rehabilitated - it reared so quite dangerous. It was completely retrained and was a lovely horse. It was sold, big mistake, to a nice girl, who then proceeded to get a caveman as a partner. He somehow found out about its past and wasn't going to have his partner at risk riding this dangerous horse. He insisted it be sent for slaughter. The knackers van arrived, the horse wisely wouldn't load. But we trained it too well, the silly bastard went in and off to his death. We just had to stand and watch. All down to the arrogance of the owners and keeprs.

It is the hardest feeling in the world to watch something so wrong but not be able to stop it.
I am sorry.
Am in tears - so very sad and unfair. What did animals do to deserve humans.

Oh so sorry D&T.

So many earnest people involved in "rescuing" dogs from overseas, good intentions not always matched with good sense.

Oh so sorry D&T.

So many earnest people involved in "rescuing" dogs from overseas, good intentions not always matched with good sense.

I do home checks for both UK and overseas rescues, I have seen some wonderful placements of overseas dogs, and I have 8 Romanian cats here who are all delightful. This dog was likely to be covered by a return to base but the new owners refused to use it. I also had an emergency rescue place lined up for him as well. He didn't need to die. In the end that might have been the outcome but he deserved a second chance in a more suitable home.

I am haunted by that dog and the fact I did nothing. It would have meant having a huge row with my own vet when the nearest one is then 20-30 miles away. It would have caused nuclear fall out with my nearest neighbour who I generally have no real issues with. Having already had to move house, at a huge loss, to get away from a dreadful neighbour situation where we were threatened with guns, attacked, vandalised, and generally lived in fear, I just had to keep quiet.

I am sure the dog was saveable and I am sure the rescue don't know this has happened.

You've had a horrible time of it, and have obviously done all you reasonably could, considering the circumstances. Give yourself a break - you can't shoulder the responsibility of many other people's shortcomings. You DIDN'T do nothing - you did your best - that's all anyone can ask

I have done the first draft of my complaint to RCVS as it is not only this dog who is being killed when he had a return to base there have been a lot of instances of rehomed rescues being pts without the consent or knowledge of their 'owners' i.e. the rescue, I am circulating it to 150 plus rescues to get them to put pressure on.

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com