The glass slipper fits! Also, Prolite girths

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
When I tried Sid one of the things I really liked about him was that sitting on him felt, well, quite like sitting on Ziggy. In fact very like sitting on Ziggy.

So perhaps I shouldn't be surprised that Ziggy's saddle fits him without adjustment! It is a little snug on his left (bigger) shoulder, but far enough back from the scapula that it shouldn't cause a problem, and he was relaxed about wearing it and being ridden in it. I can't use my nice LemIeux half pads until he loses a bit of weight, and I need a bigger girth.

Which reminds me, the saddler recommended a Prolite girth because he is wide and flat backed. Does anyone have any views?

I dont. However I would always do what my sadler said. That is, I know the saddler who was used at both my former yards and would trust him entirely.

I like Prolite (I like the Fairfax more as they're the leather version, but they are pricey).

Pros:
- the shape of the girth means you don't have to do it up as tightly as you normally would on a wide flat backed horse
- they sit clear of the elbow so if you have folds of skin there it helps avoid rubs
- they don't pull the saddle forward if you have a forward girth groove (common with cobs and natives)
- I did notice an improvement in how freely Little Un moved, his stride lengthened and became |(slightly) less hurried
- he never objected to being girthed up with it

Cons:
- I found if I didn't wash it off after a ride it became quite hard, even more so if he'd sweated, and so in the winter if I was riding every day I needed two girths
- when clipped I needed to use a sheepskin cover on it or he would sometimes get rubs, but he was sensitive
- if people rode him and didn't wash the girth he would get rubs
- if someone overtightened his girth he would get rubs

To be fair he was sensitive and girths had long been a problem, he had a whorl under the girth that meant ant fabric, grippy or textured girth was unacceptable and lots of loose skin around the elbows that made him prone to rubs. The Prolite was a lot better than most, though eventually I gave in and got a Fairfax as I found wiping off and soaping less hassle in the winter.

If you do go for one then ask your saddler which fitting you need as they come in two fittings and it does make a difference.

Reactions: Jessey
Thanks @carthorse , a mine of information as always!

He is bang on 20cm between his front legs so I have gone for the Standard fit.

They are a weird shape. Does someone make a sheepskin cover to fit? Wow!

Are you looking for a short or long girth? Le Mieux do one for short girths, for long ones maybe do a search on Horse and Hound forum.

On Horse and Hound it was mentioned that NuuMed would make to order, so that may be an option. Or try it on it's own first? The girth is smooth so won't catch on hair like some synthetics do, I found it was only when freshly clipped I had a problem and Little Un really was very sensitive about girths.

Curious to know why a Prolite has been recommended for a wide horse? 🤔
Y'know.... coz I have a horse like that! 🤦

Well, apparently the shaped girth helps to hold the saddle in the correct position on a wide flat back without it slipping forward.

Apparently my saddler advised Fairfax on the design of the original girth, so I shouldn't be surprised she recommends it! But @carthorse says it works well for her cobby boy.

newrider.com