The great Surrey hay shortage 2021

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
It's like gold dust at the moment it would seem!

Everywhere is either out or not taking new clients. My supplier has run out of £6.50 small bales so I'm now on the £45 4ft bales. Been warned at another price increase to £7 when small bales are back in stock. I remember the good old days when I used to pay £3.50 😂

Just hoping for a good season of hay making this year!

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
It’s the same around here, my friend and I were just chatting last week about maybe having to bring truckloads over from possibly Wales if it’s another bad crop but this rain and sun has the grass growing now, hopefully come harvest time it will be dry enough for long enough to get good hay.

Reactions: Huggy

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
I agree the hay shortage is getting scary, my yard owner makes his own hay, wrapped hay and haylege and he’s seriously low on stock right now. Never seen his bale yard so bare! I think the quick hot spell last year with no rain didn’t do us any favours and this year it’s been too cold to get the grass growing here. Normally I’m seeing silage getting cut round about me but the silage fields aren’t when long enough to properly roll.

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
I'm very grateful for the blasted rain atm. We're almost out of hay, but the grass is coming back, and we've 8 acres to play with. Going to get in fast in the summer for next winter though.

Reactions: Jessey

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
Fortunately i buy from the farm nearby and so far ok. I am resting my summer grass and letting it grow and they are grazing a small area where there is new grass coming up

scevsc

Oct 29, 2017

Everywhere is either out or not taking new clients. My supplier has run out of £6.50 small bales so I'm now on the £45 4ft bales. Been warned at another price increase to £7 when small bales are back in stock. I remember the good old days when I used to pay £3.50 😂

Can I ask where you got the 4' bales from. My yard owner is running out of hay and says she can't find any.

scevsc

Oct 29, 2017

Can I ask who you use? My yard owner has run out so we've got to source some of our own.

scevsc

Oct 29, 2017
Hi @scevsc , I bought some hay recently at Whipley Manor Farm near Cranleigh. Last time I looked Rokers and Frosbury's also had some.
Thanks for the reply. I'll give them a call. Yard owner has said we can't take hay to give while horses are tied up or travelling so we need to source our own. While you're there - I'm looking for assisted/full grass livery or part livery where they can be out in the day all year. I don't suppose you know anything?

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Thanks for the reply. I'll give them a call. Yard owner has said we can't take hay to give while horses are tied up or travelling so we need to source our own. While you're there - I'm looking for assisted/full grass livery or part livery where they can be out in the day all year. I don't suppose you know anything?
That's a tough one. I have grass livery for my 2 boys next to my house near Blackheath and there are several small yards near me which have turnout all year. Mostly their vacancies go by word of mouth but it's worth looking on the advert board and asking at Whipley Manor Farm shop. There's a lovely (expensive!) private yard at Lee Farm on Northcote Lane: she never advertises vacancies but it's worth asking speculatively. Westland Farm in Shamley Green usually has space but they are at the valley bottom on clay and it's not good in the winter if your horse doesn't like the wet.

I would also try Postford Farm Cottages livery - gorgeous big sandy fields, a gelding and a mare herd - and Lockner Farm Cottages yard, which also suffers from the wet but is a nice yard with good management.

scevsc

Oct 29, 2017
That's a tough one. I have grass livery for my 2 boys next to my house near Blackheath and there are several small yards near me which have turnout all year. Mostly their vacancies go by word of mouth but it's worth looking on the advert board and asking at Whipley Manor Farm shop. There's a lovely (expensive!) private yard at Lee Farm on Northcote Lane: she never advertises vacancies but it's worth asking speculatively. Westland Farm in Shamley Green usually has space but they are at the valley bottom on clay and it's not good in the winter if your horse doesn't like the wet.

I would also try Postford Farm Cottages livery - gorgeous big sandy fields, a gelding and a mare herd - and Lockner Farm Cottages yard, which also suffers from the wet but is a nice yard with good management.
Thanks for the reply. I'll look these up. If you do hear of any vacancies I'd be very grateful if you could let me know. The yard I'm at isn't great - my pony's had ulcers and I think it's because he wasn't getting enough hay. We're no trouble! I'm 'mature' - pay my bills and know how to sweep up. Pony is good in the field and to handle.