The Guiding Horses Chronicles

guidinghorses

Jul 20, 2023
London, UK
www.besthandmade.co.uk
Is it okay for me to have a blog? If so, I shall be posting here everything there is to do about my equine crafts, equestrian stories and, if I'm lucky, something about my riding, horse experience and equine assisted therapy.

I'm 53 and I trained BHS style when I was 18. After I moved to London in 2000, I had a huge break from horses for a good 15 years+, then I rode for a few more months, working on my fitness and then came to another complete halt around Covid time. An increase of the cost of a one hour lesson (it was £48 when I first started again and is now £60) and my ill health has prevented me from going back onto a horse 😔 I am completely gutted; they are my life. I can rate my happiness in life depending on whether I have horses in my life enough. Since I last rode, I've had an equine assisted therapy course (7 sessions) and a visit to a horse sanctuary a number of miles away, where I paid £10 plus my travelling.

So we'll see how well things go for me this time around.

Reactions: Jessey
Lessons are expensive in London aren't they.
I know where I am it's only £30 for two or more sharing. I might book some pole work lessons after the summer hols, I really miss that.

Reactions: guidinghorses
Lessons are expensive in London aren't they.
I know where I am it's only £30 for two or more sharing. I might book some pole work lessons after the summer hols, I really miss that.
It's weird, some say it's the norm and others say it's expensive. I say it's expensive! If the prices stop working class people from riding then there's an imbalance. £30 for sharing is a great price, wish it was like that here. I could be riding several times a week for that. Now, it's more like never unless I sell a few books and make the bestseller list 🤣 I hope you get to do the poles; unfortunately it was the jumping I failed at in my stage two. Just not enough jumping lessons TBH.

It's weird, some say it's the norm and others say it's expensive. I say it's expensive! If the prices stop working class people from riding then there's an imbalance. £30 for sharing is a great price, wish it was like that here. I could be riding several times a week for that. Now, it's more like never unless I sell a few books and make the bestseller list 🤣 I hope you get to do the poles; unfortunately it was the jumping I failed at in my stage two. Just not enough jumping lessons TBH.
I wouldn't worry to be honest my instructor and myself both mutually agreed my lunging was shall we say not bhs and we didn't bother to do stage 3.
My cob was used to teach vet students how to lunge because she knows what she's doing and didn't flap if things were wrong. Life isn't a textbook.

Reactions: guidinghorses
I wouldn't worry to be honest my instructor and myself both mutually agreed my lunging was shall we say not bhs and we didn't bother to do stage 3.
My cob was used to teach vet students how to lunge because she knows what she's doing and didn't flap if things were wrong. Life isn't a textbook.
BHS stages I suppose were useful to gain if you were looking for a career or wanted to work all the way up to the fellowship. It seemed the right thing to do at the time. Now, mine are massively out of date and useless as qualifications. Also, another thing that is expensive. I even did an online course for some other horse qualifications, didn't take the exam, which is just as well, cos they don't exist any more.

Long time since I've been here last! Lots have been going on; mostly not good as is my way.

I'm running a giveaway for two prizes (one a funny horse mug and the other a headcollar (X)). If anyone is interested in entering you have about 13 days to enter! DM me for the URL. UK only

newrider.com