The hardest decision

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
I had made the decision after the farrier came this week to try to give Sapphire a good summer and let her go before winter. Farrier said there was no point in shoeing her in front as she wasn't footy and that her discomfort was her joints and her arthritis.

Spoke to her vet tonight, as Sapphire is on 2 danilon a day. She thought that while summer was a nice idea, hard ground would make her worse. And if she was still very lame on 2 danilon then we really needed to think about her future sooner rather than later. She had had a similar conversation with another owner today.

Going to put her in the summer field this weekend and see how she goes. Fear that I may have to make a decision next week, as can't bear to see her hobbling.20240329_083240 - Copy.jpg20240329_083412.jpg20240329_083517.jpg20240329_083520.jpg

Last edited:
Im sorry it’s at that point, it’s the worst bit of horse ownership. I’m sure she’ll enjoy getting into the summer field for a while.

Im sorry it’s at that point, it’s the worst bit of horse ownership. I’m sure she’ll enjoy getting into the summer field for a while.
horrible conversation last night with vet as how we can safely pts such a big girl and avoid her falling on either of us. last resort shooting her which i dread. Have had to pts so many times but this is the worst as the others were colics, fractures, no option emergencies.

• Sad
Reactions: Jessey
I am very sorry for you. I have little experience but the horses I know of being put down were laid down first, tempted by grass and treats. Polo ponies were then shot. My old share died eating a pear.

Sadly, it's the loving owners who have to face this every time. The bad ones just shunt the poor creatures on. We can only take comfort in knowing we're doing it for the right reasons. Sorry for you having to face it.

I am very sorry for you. I have little experience but the horses I know of being put down were laid down first, tempted by grass and treats. Polo ponies were then shot. My old share died eating a pear.
I have usually held and cradled their head as they go down and it is usually very peaceful but she is such a big girl long legs and neck it is going to be more risky

You sound like such a wonderful owner, she's lucky to have you. I hope you can find a solution to make it as safe as possible, thinking of you

I have put her out in one of the summer fields so it is soft under foot and nice grass to eat. May even leave her out if it isn't too awful as she tends to lie down and sleep during the day. She was still going short on near fore but at least it is not muddy and she can chill out

I am sorry you find yourself in this position. I sadly suspect the old owner knew all.too well what the future held for her.

Sounds like you have made a sensible and nessercary decision, all be it a very hard one

I am sorry you find yourself in this position. I sadly suspect the old owner knew all.too well what the future held for her.

Sounds like you have made a sensible and nessercary decision, all be it a very hard one
probably but she was off for 3 years and then re-started and rode nicely when i tried her. I just liked her. If she had stayed in the area on very flat ground, she might have been ok but at her age to come to totally different terrain was something I sadly didn't calculate for. I just hoped she could remain paddock sound, so that she could just poodle about as she is one of the most beautiful horses i have ever seen and I just fell for her. cost me a fortune moneywise and heartache wise and dread trying to find another horse and go through all that again.

Her owner who had her as a 4 year old is coming to see her on Monday. I am really happy she is coming as we have been in touch a lot. She has another ID who is now old and she can't have two. It will be interesting to hear what she thinks of her and have asked Brian who rode her for me to also pop over when he can and have a look at her.

Reactions: Huggy
And of course this morning they were all up the winter field all came galloping down and in for breakfast including her. But walking short when i went to turn her out. Put her in a new field and she was bucking and cavorting so note to self tomorrow take Tintin the nanny donkey over FIRST

One of Sapphire's previous owners came to see her today, she bought her as a youngster and she won many shows, Great Yorkshire, plus she has dressage points. It was lovely to finally meet her, she sold her when she was 8 to what she thought was a good home, a young woman who then neglected her. So sad. It was sad to show her Sapphire as she was lame, and while they commented how well she looked physically, you couldn't really get away from the fact she was not sound. The turn in on her near fore always had it.

Brian who rode her for me came out yesterday and agreed with me that she was in pain, she cannot turn in circles, near fore not using it at all well. When i updated vet her response was "Sad thoughts. Always hard to know how much pain an animal is in until you see it out of pain to know the change in demeanour. Certainly she must have chronic discomfort but not thinking overt pain if she still joins the herd and eats , drinks etc. It can never be wrong to make a decision to prevent an animal suffering which she will do in time and unfortunately only you can make that timely decision which I will respect when you think she is ready"

Vet is coming out to do jabs on 18th april and i think we should arrange to call it then. She isn't going to get better, the weather is utterly shit and harder for her to cope with and her eyes tell us she is uncomfortable.

Buddy's ex owner and her dad came to see the old boy today, they are experienced around horses - they both agreed with me that she is in pain. I was supposed to get their lovely grey horse but he died very suddenly and was very aggressive towards the end. Poor Sapphire can't turn and swivel round, so she chases them off to guard herself. She missed her drugs one day as she didn't come in for breakfast and i didn't fancy trailing a feed bucket all the way up the hill in the mud - given it went over my wellies! Could see how much worse she was without the danilon, and even with it she is very very pottery.

newrider.com