The heatwave

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
I'm panicking a little at the forecast for the weekend and early next week.

Anyone else concerned. Ale has a shelter but it's metal.

Can't bring him in stables are just as hot if not worse.

I was considering cutting down some branches and trying to attach them to the shelter to give him some natural shelter outside of it.

What are you doing?

There are a lot of posts on fb about the heat index and exercise, interestingly for most places the heat index is saying safe to ride! And while that should obviously be tailored to the individual since type, fitness etc will have an impact it does suggest most horses should be fine loafing around in the field. I'll be leaving out despite there not being much shade, Luka hates being in unless the weather is bad and I'd be more worried about him stressing.

We're not doing much to be honest - the boys have plenty shade all round, so at no point in the day can they not escape the sun. I'm sponging hogan down morning and evening with cool water. When we go out, there's lots of shade, so he's fine.

Mine will be staying out. They have half acre of woods they can get into. If i can bare to go out in it and they are at the bottom of the field i will take a bucket and grab some water from the stream to chuck over them. That should be coolish. I might actually take the fly rugs off during the day because they will be too hot in them. They need a wash so i can put back on straight out the washing machine.
Cows will be moving through daily paddocks all of which have some trees for shade. The last few weeks they have only had early morning or late evening shade. It has worried me but i have to say because they have been moving to a new paddock daily they are not being over troubled by flies. So theyve been quite chilled even in the sun. But im glad the paddocks for the next few days have trees.

Moved all the sheep around today and the large field they are all in now has a very long hedge, woodland and long grass protecting them completely from the sun from 10am to 8pm. Hopefully most will make use of the shade rather than out grazing the middle.

Reactions: Huggy
Is it possible to get the roof of your shelter insulated? My barn roof and my overhang are both insulated; you’d be surprised at the amount of heat it holds back, not to mention sound reduction when it rains🤠

If you’re home during the day, you could also hose them down part way. Legs, chest, forearms, the nether areas. Not the whole horse in the middle of the day, just the pulse areas.

Make sure they have hay and plenty of clean water that is cool. If you aren't able to move the tubs out of the sun, change it between 2-4 in the afternoon as that’s about the time the sun makes it too hot to drink::

Harry had a full clip this week in preparation. He is a hot pony who feels the heat normally so I am pleased this was done. If Ben were still here I would be hosing him down completely every couple of hours and keeping him in as his stable was cool. Difficult I know if you are working all day but perhaps draft someone in to help? I think hosing makes a big difference.

Reactions: lauren123 and Huggy
I’m a little bit worried but there is a good few shady places on the track so they can get out of the sun if they want too. I won’t bring in because the stables are even hotter. We will be hosing morning and early evening too, as long as they have plenty of water they should be ok.

I’m away but back Monday lunchtime, mine have plenty of shade, all my shelters have metal roofs too but it gives shade and the airflow under them is good, I’ve asked my groom to give the big ones a hose down twice a day, and when I get back I’ll go and give the little boys a sponge off but they normally argue about it so I didn’t ask Richard to do it. They all have plenty of fresh water and get salt in their feed of extra sloppy Speedibeet. I have moved all their hay into shady areas already, Jess and Niko already get damp hay and I’ll probably do the little boys too to get extra fluids in them.

I’m less worried as we’ve had high temps for a few weeks, so at least they’ve had a period of adaptation already, its not a sudden increase like we get some years and also the humidity is relatively low so cooling from putting water on them is more effective.

Buddy had a bath this morning but more in prep for next week's show. Suze had a rub down with a damp cloth to cool her. Have left the gate open so they can go into the field which has the most shade and closed the other one, so they can do as they please, stay out or come into the yard where they have a 3 metre canopy to stand under in the shade or can go in. The two fat donkeys are in the starvation paddock next to the yard there is huge tree creating shade and a stand of mud control mats so they can stay cool, if necessary will bring them onto the yard so they have more shade. Poodles no walkies just garden

Reactions: Kite_Rider
It's not happening here thankfully. I don't miss the heat one bit. Hope you can all stay cool along with your animals, such a hassle for you isn't it. There's a happy medium somewhere, it's one extreme to another!

I am not concerned because I made changes with the last heatwave.
She's got access to shade that's she's using as it doesn't have flies.
I bought more water buckets in a pale colour and watched the birds help themselves first!

They are saying 84 tomorrow, 93 Monday, rain on Tuesday.

The heat index forgets the rider completely. Depending on how I feel I might lead out, I won't be riding I don't feel like it.

Just a random thought.

As horses are just standing eating or sleeping, they can probably lower their temp?

I sat in the shade for a while and I was getting too cold!! I have the air dry top and it did its job.
Doing nothing in hot weather is different to trying to work in it.

Obviously not the hottest days yet but it's still pretty warm here today with very little breeze. I was thinking a short pootle. Luka wasn't! We were out for an hour and a half, though despite his best efforts it was mostly walk because I hurt my ankle a few days ago and it isn't comfortable or stable yet in trot or canter. He was barely sweaty despite it being warm, certainly cooler than I was, and that was with him being able to do his preferred very active walk and a lot of hill work. No I won't be riding Monday and Tuesday when my local forecast is 35c, but I suspect that's at least as much because of me hating the heat than him not coping.

I am not concerned because I made changes with the last heatwave.
She's got access to shade that's she's using as it doesn't have flies.
I bought more water buckets in a pale colour and watched the birds help themselves first!

They are saying 84 tomorrow, 93 Monday, rain on Tuesday.

The heat index forgets the rider completely. Depending on how I feel I might lead out, I won't be riding I don't feel like it.
I think it depends where you are, those are the kind of temps we’re getting already here in the midlands, expected temps are 98 to 104 degrees for Monday and Tuesday with rain for Wednesday, I don’t even mind the heat, it’s the humidity that kills me, no way can I ride in it unless it down to about 70.
The horses can sweat at least, which will help to cool them down, but why we must provide lots of water.

Out of interest what are the weather forecasts for where people are? Saying 35c for me.

Reactions: MrA
Obviously not the hottest days yet but it's still pretty warm here today with very little breeze. I was thinking a short pootle. Luka wasn't! We were out for an hour and a half, though despite his best efforts it was mostly walk because I hurt my ankle a few days ago and it isn't comfortable or stable yet in trot or canter. He was barely sweaty despite it being warm, certainly cooler than I was, and that was with him being able to do his preferred very active walk and a lot of hill work. No I won't be riding Monday and Tuesday when my local forecast is 35c, but I suspect that's at least as much because of me hating the heat than him not coping.
I think it depends on the horse too, Belle never has enjoyed hot weather, she gets very lethargic in the heat, now, when it gets cold she’ll happily pretend she’s a four year old 🤣

Reactions: MrA and carthorse
Screenshot_2022-07-16-13-30-48-271_com.facebook.katana.jpg

I'm making one of these posts later, going to hang some shade netting from my shelter so he's got the option to stand outside it under some cover. I doubt he will use it but only £30 and I think it's a great idea

newrider.com