The importance of Taking care when dealing with injuries...a warning!!

Shiny Boy

Jan 17, 2009
Westcountry
I thought I would share my misfortune yesterday in the hope of helping other from ending up the same!

Friday night my horse cut his pastern in the field, he was sound and not bad enough for stitches, but I decided to poultice it over night after cleaning it just to be sure and protect it a bit....Saturday morning I went outside and rather absent mindedly (only been awake 15 minutes) started to slide the scissors in down the front of the vet trap to snip it off and have a look..Feeling the cold metal sliding in he flicked his hoof, splitting my cheek open and giving me a huge black eye and swollen face.

There are so many things I SHOULD have done and it was completely my fault.

I should have picked his hoof up and held it to see to the wound, rather than doing it with his foot on the ground. I should have made sure I was more awake. I should have thought about my safety rather than going straight in absent mindedly..

Its so easy to get really complacent when you know your horse well and forget entirely, as I did, that as much as they are good and loving animals, they have no idea how fragile you are!!

So there, I thought I would tell my rather embarassing tale of woe to help everyone think a bit harder when they are dealing with injuries!!

I feel like an idiot and look like the elephant man - but it could have been sooooooooooo much worse....:eek:

At least you recognised your mistake!! :)

Hope your eye and horse gets well soon :d

jen
x

oh my god. thanks for sharing this.:eek:

dont feel too bad, we all make mistakes like this, its how you learn a serious lesson and you'll never make the mistake again

goes to show you can never be too careful

i hope your face heals up soon

Ouch, I hope you feel better soon

Dont be to hard on yourself, I'm sure we all do things on autopilot every day, I know I do!

Just this morning I absent mindedly picked up some hay a horse had dropped outside his box to sling it back in and he put his head down and cracked me one, wouldnt have hurt it I hadnt had my sunglasses on my head! there was a bit of blood! and a nice bump!
When i told his owner he apologised! it was entirey my fault!

How wonderful to know that there are other eejits out there stumbling about in wellies and nighties ! I always trundle about to do early morning feeds in a long teashirt and flip flops ( wellies for the couple of weeks wet weather) and only once realised that if I had an accident my embarrasment would cause much greater grief than any injury !!!Now I usually remember my pants !

Hope your face and his leg are 100% now

newrider.com