The joy of home grown

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
.. or collected. I love this time of year!

Last night we had pappardelle with fresh chanterelles foraged by my eagle eyed OH. We've eaten many many fresh shrooms of lots of different kinds since moving here, but these were our first chanterelles and they were DELICIOUS (so they must have been the real deal, not false chanterelles, which don't taste of much apparently). A little smoked streaky bacon, a little onion, a little garlic, a little parsley, a little cream, a glass of white wine... yum... We need a Yum smiley!

Today's dinner is slow roast shoulder of lamb, which I love, but the accompaniments will be just as good! We nibbled fresh pulled carrots with home made hummus to keep our appetites at bay, and with the lamb we are having fresh dug new potatoes and just-plucked beetroot roasted with honey and cardamom, plus a little rainbow chard for healthy green. Pud is crumble with plums from the tree and blackberries from our back hedge, and custard from our own chooks' eggs... :inlove:

I can't believe I used to buy everything in a supermarket. What's your favourite home grown delight?

Sounds a lovely spread, yum yum!

Haven't grown anything this year for various reasons and I am seriously missing it now. Favourites have to be runner beans, fresh carrots (shops ones just do NOT compare do they?) The nicest thing I've had so far this year is wild strawberrys - they grow all over the place here. They are only the size of a finger nail but are so sweet and juicy. Takes ages to pick a bowl full though!:happy:

Yumpers indeed!

Well, so far, I've had fresh peas with a bed of rice served with my favourite spiced chicken marinated in cayenne pepper and lemon juice, I've also had the peas just as a healthy snack! I LOVE peas........

Our spuds are nearly ready, but we started them late, so I am being patient about that........
Last night we ate our first crop of broad beans - hurrah! They are so furry inside the pods - love 'em! We had 'em with lambs kidney (braised slowly) and mash spuds, carrots and swede. Mmmmmmmm.
Carrots haven't done so well, for some weird reason I seem to have a bad touch with carrots........the ones that have survived will probably go as a snack treat for the horses.

Our onions are on their way too - they're so useful, I can't think of a more versatile veggie!

newrider.com