The mud in our field is shocking...

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
... there isn't any!

We haven't had any meaningful rain since before Christmas Eve. I went and poo picked in good shoes last night (long story) and no mud on them at all.

I don't like this weird weather.

Looking through the gateway into the winter section:

IMG_3827.JPG

Our YO cleared the muck today. At this time of year this would normally mean the Somme. But no, just a couple of tracks.

.IMG_3830.JPG

The front of our shelter, usually at least hoof deep but now solid and firm

IMG_3829.JPG

How are yours looking?

Reactions: GaryB
Mine are good at the moment. You know when it finally rains it ain't going to stop. Mind I've had fields like yours and a few days of rain they get very slick.

... there isn't any!

We haven't had any meaningful rain since before Christmas Eve. I went and poo picked in good shoes last night (long story) and no mud on them at all.

I don't like this weird weather.

Looking through the gateway into the winter section:

View attachment 96462

Our YO cleared the muck today. At this time of year this would normally mean the Somme. But no, just a couple of tracks.

.View attachment 96460

The front of our shelter, usually at least hoof deep but now solid and firm

View attachment 96461

How are yours looking?
Same here - usually tarring my old boy's feet this time of year to protect his frogs, but totally uneccessary just now.

I'm a firm believer in 'what goes around, comes around' so I'm trying not to sing the praises of the weather because sooner or later I expect it to rain and rain and rain. Actually Dom said that the Met Office have just today warned of very cold weather - with snow - at the end of the month, from about the 25th so be prepared, peeps!

I'm enjoying the dry weather but starting to think that after the hot dry summer, having a dry winter will not bode well for grass growth next season, and therefore hay and cereal crops. It's lovely now but could make next year tough and expensive!

Well, you're all very lucky! We've had thick deep welly sucking off mud until quite recently. It's been drying up this last week but it's still deep in the gateways :rolleyes:

Two very dry good fields in fact ginger has lived back out since Boxing Day but it’s likely to change next week were he will be stables again at night

newrider.com