The older the horse the more sensible?

Kc..

Nov 7, 2007
North Cotswolds
www.casseywatson.co.uk
This is something that is really bugging me at the moment.

Nimby is 23 now and i've had him 8 years. I was nine and pretty novice when i got him. The first time i rode him in an open space he bolted with me. I still remember loads of parents standing in front of him but he wouldn't stop. Scared for life :rolleyes: anyway..

Over the years he has taught me so much, and personally i owe the fact i am able to ride a lot of different horses, jump over 4foot and ride let's say difficult horses to him.

Now numerous times i am told "oh he'd be an easy ride now", "i bet he just plods" etc etc. No such luck, he still has the spark of a youngster and he is happiest at a flat out gallop or if he's jumping. He gets extremely silly and idon't know many people who can ride him. In fact i know two... me and Tone. That's it. Now to meet that seems odd, to me it's alien people are afraid to get on him. But this is all beacause he's a bit of a loony bin.

(i can safely say i have never felt like he's put me in danger and always thought he would look after me)

But anyway i know a lot of older horses that if treated right don't loose the spark they had all there life, so why do so many people believe it??

Ha Ha - if only this was true! Mine has got worse as he's got older - 26 and going on 6!

I think they gain more confidence as they get older, especially if they remain with an owner they like and get on with! Many people won't ride him - he only likes certain riders - fortunately he likes my mate, as she looks after him when I go away, this is handy!

He's even worse after his first clip of the season - roll on next saturday! :rolleyes::D

i have noticed this winter that when on a couple of ocasions Ruby hasnt been allowed to gallop off with the group [usually because the ground hasnt been right] that she is more likley to go at a steady canter altho she did try & CLIMB a stone wall on sat & on her last fun ride outing she & her even older friend were apppallingly badly behaved & failed to set good examples to the young horses they were meant to be babysitting - so im not sure if shes developed any more sense or just lost her turn of speed

Drummer is going more bonkers every year! He was doing his best " oh Mum i can't walk down this hill, my leggies won't go! " act then a car went over a grate just behind him. Que one 23 year old Piebald cob going skyward with an almighty squeak, then preceeded to jog down the rest of this "killer" hill!

I wonder if it's senility really :D lol.
Caz xxxxxx

Having seen my mate's 28 year old hoon round in the field, I think they act like babies no matter what age they are! I figure a horse will do what he feels comfortable with but will always maintain his basic character as long as he is able!

My 15 yo is worse than my 3.5 yo! Lol!

And my friends 29 yo is even worse than the two of them sometimes!!!

My Welsh D is rising 22, and apart from a couple of unfortunate health problems, he still behaves like a lunatic! He was a lunatic when I got him 15 years ago, and has never changed! He's not 'dangerous' at all, he's just a 'rider's horse' - very fizzy and fantastic fun! :D I do NOT let novice riders anywhere near him! On the leadrein with a little child, he's sweet and gentle and plods...with a good rider on, he is superb...I can't say what he'd be like with a novice off the lead-rein....none would last long enough on his back for me to get an opinion! ;)

The older he got the more opinionated TheG got :D:rolleyes: .. it seemed he was calmer to me but in reality every year we had together we knew each other more until we were dancing partners.. knew each others every move.. so the crazy antics never seemed too crazy to me but to others... er... yeah.. they were'nt keen to get on :D

Well i ride a 19yr old going on 3 and a 25yr old going on 5!! Cant bet them (well except for my girly who's 8yrs going on 2!!)

Spyder's 20 and still thinks he's on the racetrack when out in a group :rolleyes: We did think he was getting slightly better in his old age, only the silly thing then had to go and lose 60% of his eyesight in his right eye, so is now more spooky than ever!

I took my mare out on hound exercise and was speaking to some hunt people there, who thought she would make a great hunt horse when she grew up a bit, until I pointed out to she was 23!! She is now retired, but still of there is any charging about the field, it is always her that eggs my 6 year old on not the other way round. She is definately growing old discracefully!!

And she is still a total tart, :eek: she had the poor hunter pinned in the corner of the field when she was in season in the summer, constantly squeeling at the poor chap. :p

I ahve the same with the 2 boys I mentioned, i think i just know their little oddities and it doesnt bother me.

When im out and about experienced horse people think im using a 4/5yr old to lead a 3yr old and are shocked when i explain.

The 25yr old was hunted upto 3yrs ago and was always upfront. And the 19yr old is still hunted and frightens the gibblys out of people!!

i would LOVE to ride the nimbus 2000
however
it would feel like riding a broomstick compared to harvey ;) *get the gag eh ;) ahah*
and id squish the poor mite
xxxx

Mines slightly wiser with age but still daft as a brush at 18! He seems a steadier hack now but only cos Im in an area with no traffic. wierd thing is though rode him out and bumped into some other riders. He was piaffing along in a v.overbent and bucking manner to show of to strange horses:cool:. Other rider went oh he lovely blah blah, how old blah blah. I went ' yes he is blah blah and hes 18' to which she said 'oh I thought he was about 7 or 8 will you be selling him soon to get a younger one:eek:'.

How profoundly wierd - if he passes for 8 and is fit and sound why sell him? is it me:confused:

My horse is definately not getting calmer in her old age, she still has a lot of spark and is opinionated as ever! I bought her at 16, shes 18 now (so i dont really know what she was like when she was younger, only what her old owners told me) I like it though, i would know something was wrong if she didnt have a paddy everytime she isnt aloud to go for a canter or jump as fast as possible!:rolleyes:

newrider.com