The Post Weekend Thread

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
Unless I missed it, I don't think we had a weekend thread so thought it might be a nice way to ease the Monday blues by re-living the weekend ;)

What did we get up to?

Friday evening my OH & I just took the dogs to my local (as my parents were away on holiday).

I had a fairly quiet weekend horse-wise as a combination of Pete being bitten (again .... :rolleyes:) by flies and OH staying meant that I didn't ride. Pete had the trimmer out this weekend (we changed about 3 months ago - which is quite a big deal, as I've struggled to get farrier's to work with him so voluntarily getting rid of a barefoot trimmer feels a very risky move ...!) but he was so good & for the first time in months, he was able to have all 4 feet trimmed :)

Then I topped up my tan in the afternoon by ragwort pulling & fence mending & OH and I went for dinner & drinks in the evening.

Sunday morning, I did Pete's chores & OH and I went for a bike ride on the Downs (naturally a circular route going by a pub or two ..!) and then I jumped Pete on the lunge.

Dad is hopefully going to put up a stall guard in his stable, so I can put him out at night from tomorrow or Wednesday to prevent him being bitten by insects so quite so much ...! Then fingers crossed, normal ridden service can resume - although it's tricky as he's such a good doer/has had laminitis in the past I'm worried about his waistline too on extra grass! o_O

What did we all get up to?

Sounded like a nice weekend @Pete's Mum . Well, Saturday OH worked until mid afternoon and then rode Zi, they are still getting to know each other, but both seem to "fit" each other, lovely to see:Dthen Saturday night OH cooked lamb gigot in a jus with loads of nice veg. Sunday I rode the gingerbread man Zi and it was windy too - but I needn't have worried as he was super safe for me again:Dthen in the evening we hopped across to our neighbours who took us out for a wonderful meal at a local hotel as a thank you for pony sitting:D so nice of them and it was a gorgeous place right near the sea front, the sun was shining and the food and view was grand:D
Hmm. Now back to reality today..........but I do have a trip to the feed merchants to look forward to later, I always enjoy looking in their clothes / tack section:)

I took part in a bike ride in Berkshire for our charity of the year at work, what a beautiful part of the country it is!!

I cycled just over 127 miles (205km) in 9 hours 41mins moving time and raised around £400, it was the hardest thing I have ever done haha and the last hill at mile 118 felt like Everest but I made it :D

Pic of me at the finish
received_10211479262992043_1_1.jpg

Sounded like a nice weekend @Pete's Mum . Well, Saturday OH worked until mid afternoon and then rode Zi, they are still getting to know each other, but both seem to "fit" each other, lovely to see:Dthen Saturday night OH cooked lamb gigot in a jus with loads of nice veg. Sunday I rode the gingerbread man Zi and it was windy too - but I needn't have worried as he was super safe for me again:Dthen in the evening we hopped across to our neighbours who took us out for a wonderful meal at a local hotel as a thank you for pony sitting:D so nice of them and it was a gorgeous place right near the sea front, the sun was shining and the food and view was grand:D
Hmm. Now back to reality today..........but I do have a trip to the feed merchants to look forward to later, I always enjoy looking in their clothes / tack section:)

What a lucky boy Zi is to have a home with you, so glad he's settled well and you get to ride a little again :)

Reactions: Trewsers
I took part in a bike ride in Berkshire for our charity of the year at work, what a beautiful part of the country it is!!

I cycled just over 127 miles (205km) in 9 hours 41mins moving time and raised around £400, it was the hardest thing I have ever done haha and the last hill at mile 118 felt like Everest but I made it :D

Pic of me at the finish
View attachment 87508

That's fantastic, you are def super-girl:D

Reactions: lauren123 and MrA

Pic of me at the finish
View attachment 87508

I can't believe how fresh you look at the end!

Wow well done @Ale, i love the pic of you smiling and looking like you are just about to start your cycle not just finished it!!! I would be a sweaty mess and would probably need peeled of the ground :p:D

Well done Ale - I am really impressed. My weekend daughter and s.i.l. dropped in with new puppy - and supermarket in afternoon. But Sunday all day at polo.
After the Gold Cup matches a special experimental game. Rivetting play.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...e.com/&usg=AFQjCNH1TZ4zBuToGRT3VeToFWoKgAhy6w

Instigated by an Argentinian pro
They say the idea is to return polo to the past - I am interested in polo history as my grandfather played. But I am not convinced they are going back. The aim seems to be
to have players of equal skill playing together as a team (can be rare in high goal polo).
to cut the cost by limiting horses to one per chucka - tho one might still needs 5 horses.

To remove almost all fouls unless play is actually dangerous or at speed. So goals are won by hitting goals in play and not via penalties.
If a player hits a ball out of play, the other side get to hit if off again (makes it like football).

I really enjoyed watching this match - Players hit the ball from one to another, good passing, long runs, accurate hitting, always on the move.
Contrast with normal polo. Where the theory is that possession becomes too important as players aim to get penalties.They get possession and then footle around with the ball, waiting for the other side to foul. Then the match is won by converting the penalty (free hit in front of the goal) to a goal.

I wish I had your energy @Ale you look so fresh, well done!

The first weekend being horseless, well without one fit to ride and feeling a bit lost and a tad jealous of friends who've been out to fun rides. Starting to climb the walls in boredom.

Last edited:
I wish I had your energy @Ale

The first weekend being horseless, well without one fit to ride and feeling a bit lost and a tad jealous of friends who've been out to fun rides. Starting to climb the walls in boredom.

Will you be looking for another? It is hard not having anything to ride, specially if like yourself you are used to riding quite a lot.

Reactions: Jessey
Will you be looking for another? It is hard not having anything to ride, specially if like yourself you are used to riding quite a lot.

I'm keeping my eye on adverts but not sure if I'll have another. I just feel like I'm missing out on summer, hacking out after work, fun rides etc. But need to know I really want another before I commit to buying again. Also buying always seems hard work, difficult to find the right one, dishonest sellers, then vetting's to be arranged and I'd be worried about buying the wrong one, all of which is putting me off tbh.

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
I'm keeping my eye on adverts but not sure if I'll have another. I just feel like I'm missing out on summer, hacking out after work, fun rides etc. But need to know I really want another before I commit to buying again. Also buying always seems hard work, difficult to find the right one, dishonest sellers, then vetting's to be arranged and I'd be worried about buying the wrong one, all of which is putting me off tbh.

I am totally with you on the vetting and people being honest. I am SO LUCKY to have found Zi, his old owners are lovely and live just at the other side of the island - they truly wanted a good home and were completely honest about any quirks and health issues. I just hope I can find another for me so easily!!!!! It was one of the things I dreaded, because a lot of people really don't tell all - and I know how attached I become in a short time, so anything I did buy that might not be quite right will be staying - issues to be worked through. Anyway, I hope that something comes along or you find something when you feel ready.

Reactions: Jessey and Lissie
We had the saddle fitter in Friday night. Both saddles reflocked and a new girth for Kez as he's super slim this year. Saturday was miserable and wet but we had to do some work on the arena, scraping up weeds brought up by harrowing. Sunday we had a play around with some poles. I think Louisa has a job as an M&M WHP when she's backed as she gave the poles some clearance initially!!

Reactions: Jessey
Friday night a friend helped me move more stuff and do a few bits that needed a 2md pair of hands, then another friend popped by the yard and we all sat nattering, next thing I knew it was 9pm.

Saturday I did chores at the yard, rode Jess for 45 mins, and gave her feet a little tidy up. Then a friend came over with some pimms, we picked up fish and chips and had a bommie at the yard :)

Yesterday I went to a local country show with my friend and her almost 2 year old, we had great fun taking her round to see all the animals, watched some demo's including the horse from the lloyds ad and his owner doing horseback falconry which was awesome :D

Today I rode early as it was friends daughters 2nd birthday party :) I've got the week off so we're off to the coast and zoo one day with her too :D

Long hack Saturday doing new ride with billy. We went past the church yard, with its dry stone wall, lots of gravestones and timber archway. He wasn't too keen with the brown colours and tried to vere across the road to get away from it. I will make sure we venture that way again soon now I know he's not keen. After we past it he settled no problem.
I went weeding my veg plot. So far I've kept up with it all summer, barely a weed in sight.
Put up a fence in the garden to stop the cows getting to the dry stone wall. Its fallen down in a couple of places so they can just walk straight out. Cows looked very pleased this morning having spent the night in grazing on the fresh long grass.

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
Saturday consisted of dog walking, horse walking, sheep walking, holiday house and general pottering at the field followed by waking the dead drooling at Trevor eve
Sunday was a productive day field wise. Got the roof on Tigger house and done some more fencing, made a start on dock and ragwort removal. Started tidying the back of my hemmel and got rid of a lot of rubbish and stuff I don't need. Pamper day for Torin and Rhan and a lovely long walk with Harry and Tigger. Put up electric fenceing at a friend's field for them in thw aftwrnoon then went to do the small zoo im looking after for the week. Got settled at my field about 8 with a flask and pitched the tent up for the night where Harry, Tigger and I slept, it was cost to say the least

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
newrider.com