The straw the breaks the camels back

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I hate to say it, and it would not be an easy decision, but I am seriously questioning Hanks place with me :(

In 2017 in the summer he was a horny little git, constantly fussing Jess, nipping at her stifles, mounting her etc. In the winter he was a royal pest, serious separation issues from her. Spring 2018 I brought him a companion, in the hopes of giving him a play mate and soothing his separation issues, They were besties until I put them back in with Jess then Hank went all defensive of his woman! He picked on Dan a lot but seemed to be settling at the end of last year with some reinforcement of the pecking order, but lately it's all kicked off again, I am guessing because she's in season again :( Even with them currently separated he is still being a bloody pest, annoying her last night, breaking in with her and setting her off has not helped his case! He is even pushing his luck with me, I get ears back threatening when I take food out to him and last night in the excitement he was charging up and fly bucking at me :mad:

Its negatively impacting everyone now, poor Dan is picked on and his hip gets sore, Jess is irritated and worst of all Hank's stifles are terrible, he's been quite lame a few times but he will not stop tearing around, he was sweaty every afternoon last week when I got there. I honestly don't know what to do for him, I still have some chaste berry so can try that, but do I separate him until he calms down? just leave them to it? start working him again (I sold his cart before Xmas as I hadn't used it so would have to start with long lining and lunging)?

I am wary about how he is going to react when we move, M&M have a stallion, I'm not too concerned about how Jess will behave, she'll be in season for a bit but she will be fine, we are used to being around studs. But Hank, I am really worried if he is going to be driven even crazier. M&M do have their own little pony gelding, would adding more to the herd help? I could also put Hank in with one of M&M's herds I guess. Any ideas welcome, I don't want him to go, I was looking forward to having the time and facilities to do more with him, but I can't have everyone hurting because he is a ruddy idiot!

I would start working him again. I was sad when you sold your cart. You put so much effort into him and there are so few driving horses. It's a great skill. I do think being in work keeps a horse calmer. I seem to recall in the new year you saying you were going to do more with the wee ones. Whilst jess is on rest/taking it easy this month, I'd get him doing something whilst you have time.

Reactions: Jessey
I would start working him again. I was sad when you sold your cart. You put so much effort into him and there are so few driving horses. It's a great skill. I do think being in work keeps a horse calmer. I seem to recall in the new year you saying you were going to do more with the wee ones. Whilst jess is on rest/taking it easy this month, I'd get him doing something whilst you have time.
Yeah I did a bit of clicker training but that made for nippy ponies, and wanted to get them out for walks but I lost focus on that.
Taking them out away from Jess would likely set her off given the mood she is in at the moment, I can do stuff in the field with him though. I put my friends daughter on to ride last weekend, he was marching about doing the L'oreal head toss so I whipped her off quick, he's usually so good with her :(

Did you sell his harness as well, cant remember. Just thinking if you didn't get some tyres and logs and pull those round like your logging. Drop off walk to next hitch up. Gave chunky a focus when I was teaching him.

Did you sell his harness as well, cant remember. Just thinking if you didn't get some tyres and logs and pull those round like your logging. Drop off walk to next hitch up. Gave chunky a focus when I was teaching him.
Nope I kept the harness for doing jobs like harrowing, problem with all of it right now is his stifles are too bad to pull, not even sure he could lunge currently as they are locking so much :(

Oh crikey Jessey, why are horses so difficult sometimes...
I've no words of wisdom, but like you say your kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Don't know about yours but Belle is definitely feeling the effects of a wee bit of spring grass this last few days, maybe it's that and he'll settle down again soon? Im sure you will figure something out, you always seem to be very good at thinking round corners as it were.

In my experience some really do not do well kept with or near mares, and I hate to say it but they can be even worse if a stallion is around. Have you considered having him tested by the vet to see if he's a rig, because if he is they may be able to help. I feel for you, but something clearly needs to give.

In my experience some really do not do well kept with or near mares, and I hate to say it but they can be even worse if a stallion is around. Have you considered having him tested by the vet to see if he's a rig, because if he is they may be able to help. I feel for you, but something clearly needs to give.
That's exactly my worry, Bo was late cut and a bloody nightmare anywhere near a stallion.
I am 100% certain he was fully castrated, was done at my friends rescue center, but he was cut late, just before he came to me. He had 1 retained testicle, so they had to knock him out and open him up to fish for it. Now having said that, for the sake of a blood test it is probably worth checking, the behavior seems to have got worse the last couple of years, but that could be coincidental as his body has recovered from the neglect from before he was rescued.

I was having doubts about Harvey at around the time I was forced to move yards so I decided to give him a chance at the new yard and then part ways if it didn't work out.. It turned out that he changed virtually overnight (for the better). Maybe its worth moving first and then taking the decision?

Can only empathise, it is such hard work when you have disruption like this. aimee donkey has been wantonly in season - age 30 - driving the boys nuts...fortunately our herd get on ok, though Suze was a challenge at first as she was completely hostile to any other equine

I was having doubts about Harvey at around the time I was forced to move yards so I decided to give him a chance at the new yard and then part ways if it didn't work out.. It turned out that he changed virtually overnight (for the better). Maybe its worth moving first and then taking the decision?
That is a really good point, all of our problems started once we moved to this field, perhaps he will revert back at the new place.

Reactions: GaryB
When I arrived this afternoon, no sweaty ponies and calm :) I did my chores and grabbed Hank out for a little in hand tinkering and a brush and he was all cute and sweet.
DSC_2204.JPGDSC_2205.JPG
Thinking maybe he'd heard what I said I went to top up my feed bins, came back out of the shed to Hank in with Jess, on the forbidden green grass :mad: I hadn't heard a thing but 2 fences destroyed, metal spikes on the posts bent an all. I put Hank back with Dan, and set about putting the fence between Jess and the good grass back up, blow me if Hank doesn't come through the fence again :mad: Repeat putting him back and fence up and as I'm doing the fence between Jess and the good grass bloody Dan decides it's his turn :mad: he then gives me the run around and goes through another fence towards Dude. Those fences aren't powered currently, they will be tomorrow! Hank has never gone through electric fences on or not before now.

I'm looking forward to mains electric fences and a maximum security wing!

Attachments

• DSC_2204.JPG
    DSC_2204.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_2205.JPG
    DSC_2205.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 2
Funnily enough our team did not like the last place we lived. Molly took two months to settle, dug a trench in the field fence walking. When they came here, they came out the lorry, into stables for lunch, then chucked them out, they just had a trot, put heads down and ate, opened gate they came in at tea time and filed into the same stables. Took to it straight away. So perhaps a change of scene could help rather than hinder.

newrider.com