The versatile Quarter Horse

Am I imagining things here Keket or isn't it here in Canada that Impressive line is not allowed to be bred to? Thought I read it in a provincial newspaper a few years back.

That would be news to me. How would that be regulated?? Seems like it would be impossible to control.

Dunno... that's why I'm wondering if it was suggested or if it ever went ahead. I remember reading about genetic disorders and they pointed at the HYPP gene, and how some horses their skin litterally ripped. Gah *smacks head* wish I'd remember where I read that & what the conditions/regulations were.:confused:

Oh well... disregard... having an alzheimers moment with influx of info mushed up in brain:D

Now to get them other photos of MS... I know I have one somewhere of him in a conformation class all dolled up with a beautiful hunter braid, shown in his english bridle... and one of him in his first trail class...

Hence why I said you could buy a horse overseas and import it for less. And there's tons of good QH that don't have HYPP or Impressive bloodlines. Most ads will say "HYPP N/N" which means they don't carry it. It's really not hard to avoid.

I have thought about importing, but considering the money you end up paying on the actual import (not the horse) for something that isn't as well bred, plus being able to see your horse before you bring it home is a definate bonus.

I didn't say there weren't plenty of good QHs that don't have HYPP or Impressive bloodlines, just that anyone wishing to import needs to be aware that it exists, needs to know what it is and how to avoid it.

When there are many many good alternatives available I personally would not by any horse from Impressive lines whether that be N/N or not. That is just my personal ethical stance on any line of domestic animal that has such a severe genetic disorder.

my two QHs

i have two quarter horses of my own and i work at a quarter horse ranch i work with mostly reiners but my babies are barrel racers anybody else out there who is a reiner:)

Here we go... this is back (1985) at our first 4-H comp.
5.jpg

Here he is when I retired him at 20yrs old.
13.jpg

I have lessons on and will soon be part leasing a black quarter horse named Shadow.
He worked as a cattle horse for the first 10 years of his life, he wore a badly fitting saddle, he has a lot of white hair on his back, flanks and girth area as a result.
He also freaks out if you go near him with a rug or a saddle cloth, so has obviously had some bad experiences in the past.

My RI retrained him as an English lesson horse, and taught him that a saddle cloth would not eat him if placed on his back with the saddle.

He is a very intelligent and calm horse.

He is barefoot and haslovely strong healthy feet.

2008_01002_7x5groomed.jpg

2008_01003_7x5headshot.jpg

Last edited:
Naw, we still breed to Poco Bueno lines as well, Fly is out of him. (which is the line HERDA follows)

But I think what you are refering to is there was mass publicity to stop using Impressive lines until they could nail down the test for HYPP. Most people ignored it of course. ANd now there is a new registry down in the states that allows for HYPP positive horses to be shown and registered... which of course will lead to breeding more of them. Idiots. but anyway.

Lovie is of coures a Quarter horse, and Tripp is half. I always kind of think of them as the Lab's of the horse world. Athletic versatile solid citizens who aren't generally easily phazed. Course the variety in them is remarkable. anything from Pony sizes to 17 hand monsters - massive builds with dinner plates for feet to tiny and petite - and everything in between. No matter the job you can probably find the QH to suit it.

Their heritage includes many Tbred's, some arabs and some percheron's as well as a few other assorted horses of no particular breeding. They are a relatively new breed, and so have really been formed to meet the needs of americans :)

well..she jumps, trail rides, does halter and showmanship, reining and western pleasure all well, plus she makes nice babies (but thats just a bonus). Its amazing she is dead calm(most of the time), and you give her a kiss and she pops into a slow lope, give her another kiss and she is a reiner, put more weight in your saddle and she slows right back into a western pleasure lope.

here she is...

carolface2.jpg

and here is her daughter (which stands 16.2 hh) who sold for $6000.00 as a weanling, and won Reserve Champion Hunt seat 3yr olds at the Canadian Nationals.

amelia-250.jpg

Great photos of your QHs - they are all beautiful and sound so talented.

It would be scarey importing something over here without viewing it first though. Thats why I bought a Criollo, as Criollo Farm import them then you get to pick one out in the safty of the UK - try before you buy - well worth the money.

I agree with you, K.T., I think it takes someone with a lot of gumption and a very clear steer on what they're after to import a horse unseen. I had some exasperating experiences in the UK trying to source a QH through private ads, and looked seriously at importing - but quickly realised that there was little point importing a western-trained horse when I myself wasn't a western-trained rider. It's not as simple as reading a few articles to convert your English way of riding to match the expectations of a highly trained western horse, whatever the discipline.

Happily, I found that there are a number of Western trainers in the UK, along with a growing band of breeders and websites such as www.aqha.uk.com to put those interested in the QH in touch with people locally who can help find what you're after. Agreed, QHs are not cheap over here and it's easy to get beguiled at the thought of importing a value horse from US or Europe, as I very nearly did - but I'd have made a grave mistake if I had done so as I would, over a period of a few years, probably have wrecked that horse as I wouldn't probably have invested in the rider training needed to make us a really solid partnership.

But back to the OP, I am wowed - now that I actually own a QH - not only by his versatility - competitive in trail, horsemanship, pleasure; willing to jump; brave as a lead horse on the trails; about to do his first TREC, completed some pleasure rides - but ultimately relieved that I found a horse with a Good Mind, because that, and that alone, is what makes everything so great. And you can't google horse adverts for that on the internet, or rely on any one breed to provide it!!

newrider.com