Things that do what they say on the tin!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
What horse care items do you consider have really done what they say on the tin?

Mine are;

Canter mane and tail spray - lovely smell, and de-tangles quickly and lasts for ages - avoids broken hairs etc. It is a good price too.

Aromesse cream for mud fever - I find this really soothing and has done the trick on our Chloe - particularly like the fact you can put it onto any scabs you cannot first remove (hers was so bad we couldn't get them off).

Hoof pick with brush! I just love a hoof pick with a brush on, don't care for the ones that don't come with them. I got mine from Rideaway - they've been really good. The bristles last ages.

So, what things have you enjoyed using and "do what they say on the tin"?

I also think Keratex mud powder does what it says on the tin. Chloes feathers don't come in clarted half as bad as when she goes out without it.

Seven Day Mud Away *nearly* lives up to it's name..... the "seven day" part is a bit debatable but the "Mud Away" is fantastic!

Kocholine IS a tin.... and does what it says!

Agree about Canter M&T spray too.... nothing else I've tried comes close....

What horse care items do you consider have really done what they say on the tin?

Mine are;

Canter mane and tail spray - lovely smell, and de-tangles quickly and lasts for ages - avoids broken hairs etc. It is a good price too.

Aromesse cream for mud fever - I find this really soothing and has done the trick on our Chloe - particularly like the fact you can put it onto any scabs you cannot first remove (hers was so bad we couldn't get them off).

Hoof pick with brush! I just love a hoof pick with a brush on, don't care for the ones that don't come with them. I got mine from Rideaway - they've been really good. The bristles last ages.

So, what things have you enjoyed using and "do what they say on the tin"?

I also think Keratex mud powder does what it says on the tin. Chloes feathers don't come in clarted half as bad as when she goes out without it.

Agree with all of the above! Also love Kevin Bacon hoof dressing, it has worked wonders on my horse's hooves- farrier is v impressed.

Hmmm... haven't used much tbh. But:

• Red Horse field paste and Hoof Stuff;
  • agree about the Canter mane and tail spray;
  • Schwarzkopf shampoo for Cool Blondes to whiten grey tails;
  • Effol hoof gel.

Great thread Trewsers!

Not sure I have anything useful to add though as not used many products.

I love Kevin Bacon's too. It works on inside of hooves too as a moisturiser when hooves are dry/cracked :happy:

Magic Sheen is good for stopping manes getting rubbed off so easily and gives a lovely soft, shiny coat and tale too.

Premier Equine rugs - fab fit, excellent anti-rip fabric and lovely quality (including NO leg straps - I hate those)

Badminton nuggets as healthy treats - great for clicker training

I must get a hoof pick with a brush on it :wink:

Spot on-sorts it

Dynamite-again sorts it

Tack cleaner in bottle-cleans it

Fast Fibre- fast and simple

Badminton nuggets, treat ball combo-cob tested

Last edited:
Love all Red Horse products so far... hoof things, anti fly & now trialling their joint supp.

Premier equine rugs, only ones that fit my big boy & don't look like a ballet tutu.

Another vote for Kevin Bacon!

Suber pad. Not everyone's cup of tea as they do lift you a little off the horse's back but a fab solution to saddle fit worries.

The new pooh picking rake, short handled thingy with prongs. We have them in our tack shop but I can't find a link they are excellant. I will enquire later and post a piccy.

Also,

Canter mane and tail stuff as already mentioned
Toggi Ottawa Jod boots (bit cold in winter but I stick in sheepskin liners)
Round headed mane and tail comb with plastic coated wire prongs (only for the thick manes and tails though)
Rambo rugs
Bucas summer lightweights
Most Shires products
Carr day and Martin Belvoir tack cleaning products
A snow scoop for mucking out (just don't know where I would be without one of those)
My beloved hay fork.
A square wooden frame for holding haynets whilst filling
MSM cream
WW muck boots, only thing that has lasted me all winter and still in good nick
Cornucreasin foot stuff. Really works on hoof growth and helps get rid of cracks.

Oh goodness the list goes on:smile:

newrider.com