Think we're getting there.....

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
Well, feeling brave enough to do Hogan' s "before and after" pics, although we're only halfway to "after" lol. 2nd pic June,2018 1st pic Dec.(got them wrong way round!)20181215_094308.jpg20180627_133219.jpg
Have a saddler coming 1st week Feb, so hopefully fun will begin thereafter! It's been a double edged sword, not having a saddle. On the negative side, our rides out are very sedate. On the positive, call me crazy, but I think we've bonded a bit quicker, because I've had to take it slow. He hasn't been ridden for 2 years, and we get a real vibe from each other without a saddle blocking the signals. Having said that, can't wait to get going! He has the most beautiful trot, especially with those feathers flying!

Reactions: Jessey and domane
Wow! What a difference. Well done he looks fab.
How did you manage that?
Honestly? Don't have a clue!!! With no saddle we've only been able to walk while out and despite not wanting to completely starve him (soft of me, I know!) He's lost a bit of weight. He's got quite a big field so he's walking around a lot as well. I haven't touched his mane and feathers though - he just looks tidy because he's wet! Thanks for the encouragement - wasn't sure if I had rose coloured specs on and seeing what I wanted to see!

Well done you!

Walking is greatly under-rated as a form of exercise, it's actually very good at burning calories & toning muscles without putting too much strain on joints, sort tissues & feet.

Reactions: Huggy
What a stunning boy! He looks to have lost loads of weight, so well done you. I love his colour in the sun.
Thank you! On his passport he's described as black, but when I got him in the summer he was a vibrant dark bay. Swear he changed overnight in November lol. Came up one morning and he was indeed, well -black!

Well done you!

Walking is greatly under-rated as a form of exercise, it's actually very good at burning calories & toning muscles without putting too much strain on joints, sort tissues & feet.
Thanks! I'd love to preen and say it was intentional, but it's really been trial and error. I got a lot of good advice from everyone on here and that was an enormous help. He's a VERY slow walker, but discovered if we went out in company, he picked up his pace nicely. Cue lots of begging and hassling very nice neighbours to come and plod with us!

Reactions: Jessey
On the note of going out with others - rubbish ride today - other pony was being led, and was pretty spooky, our first time out with this one, and Hogan got silly. Managed to sit a couple of little bucks, and some head throwing, but he really didn't settle. First time he's been like that, and I'm a bit fed up with myself for letting it bother me.:(

Look at it positively - being silly meant he used up more energy, and you coped just fine with the little bucks & head tossing!

Reactions: Huggy
:D - Good point! I suppose I was getting a bit smug about how good he's been. Brought me back down to earth - thankfully not literally!

newrider.com