Thinking ahead to winter, recommendations please

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I want to reproof all my rugs before I need them, as I have quite a lot sending them out to be done is a bit expensive, so what's the best home waterproofing you've used?

I used Nik wax on mine - it seemed to work. I used it on rain sheets - you just added it to the washer drawer for the final rinse. Never done any thick rugs as they don't fit into my washer. Guess you could do them by hand? Think Newforest has done hers (or I could be getting mixed up!)

Reactions: Jessey
You can Nik wax without a washer, tis easy if you get a nice dry day, just lay them out and brush it on then hang over a fence to dry! Used to do Oscar's rugs like this and it worked a treat.

Reactions: Jessey
I used nik wax in the washing machine before but it seemed expensive at £10 for a little bottle that would only do 1-2 rugs and her big ones won't fit in my washer but helpful to know you can paint it on.
I have a rather large selection of rugs for madam, I have 2 standard light weights, 2 standard medium weights, a combo light-medium and a combo medium that def need doing, and a couple of others I use less which probably need it and being 6'6" that's a lot of fabric. As she lives out I like to be able to change out rugs if it's really wet as they get so heavy after a while.
When I was a kid we used to use a big can of something you just painted on and it went a long way but I can't remember what I was :rolleyes: That was back in the days of old canvas rugs tho.

I don't bother using nikwax anymore, I paint on a tin of stuff I bought, I think I bought it from robinsons, can't remember it's name tho!

Yes Trewsers you are getting me mixed up.
New forest only owns three rain sheets and sticks the hosepipe on before storing. :)

I don't do waterproofing, if it leaks its called EBay.
I have to say Amigo rain sheets have yet to do this and she will be in last years sheets.

What you could be thinking off Trewsers is my DIY repair job by hand with Storm sure. :)

Yes Trewsers you are getting me mixed up.
New forest only owns three rain sheets and sticks the hosepipe on before storing. :)

I don't do waterproofing, if it leaks its called EBay.
I have to say Amigo rain sheets have yet to do this and she will be in last years sheets.

What you could be thinking off Trewsers is my DIY repair job by hand with Storm sure. :)

Yes yes! That's it, I knew you had fettled a rug or two but I couldn't remember exactly:D

Reactions: newforest
I paint mine with Thompsons Water Seal and it works a treat.

What a good idea!! I personally am none too impressed with the washing and reproofing people, I don't think they reproof properly at all.

What a good idea!! I personally am none too impressed with the washing and reproofing people, I don't think they reproof properly at all.

I had several done 'professionally' last winter and had to send them all back to be done again - very disappointing when you put a rug on your horse to keep it dry and it comes in wetter than it would have been without a rug!

I think they are pretty impossible to reproof once you put chemicals on it to wash. That's why I favour the hose or if your yard has one a pressure washer. Then just leave it alone.
I don't touch my waterproof coat/trousers and those last until they finally turn shower proof.

Also as I only use sheets, they dry quicker than a rug as I have no filling for it to absorb. It worked well last year for us.

newrider.com