Thinking of putting Ale back with the herd, wwyd??

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
I have two options. (recovering from a check ligament injury)

1. Keep him in his paddock on his own where he is gradually settling down although does have a little run around when other horses in nearby paddocks are bought in. HE WILL HAVE TO COME IN ALL NIGHT ALL SUMMER, he usually lives out during the summer so this is a major negative for me.

2. Put him back in with the herd. About 10 geldings, sometimes like to have a hoon about, much bigger field, playfight sometimes :/ but HE WOULD GET TO LIVE OUT ALL SUMMER

what would you do?

tough one, I think for me I would persevere with Option 1 for a little while longer giving his recovery a bit longer for strength and then maybe try introducing into the herd with the option of maybe out with the herd and in on a night for a short while until I was happy could cope - the best maybe if he could stay out 24/7 separate at the moment to test his stamina but as you don't then it might be a case of suck it and see.

I'd be leaning towards option two. He can hurt himself with both options. Option 1 he could get stressy and do something silly, option 2 he could hoon about with his friends and hurt himself. if he really does settle in his own paddock (some horses won't and the moment they can't see other horses they freak out big time. MIne still will, she's 22 ...) go for option 1 if it's doable. could you get him a calm companion for option 1?

feel for you Im in same boat, our mare had colic surgery and needs to be turned out in small paddock after box rest of 8 weeks we have been having problems with her stressing to get to others which she can see in big field i dont think we will last another 8 weeks with her like this she will do herself or someone an injury. Yesterday she ran at the 4ft gate and jumped it from a standstill she doesnt usually jump at all so i am thinking maybe best if i just let her out with rest of herd its so hard to keep her and us safe

Number one, I wouldn't be considering the herd. Hasn't he only just gone out into the paddock after box rest?
I would think about a quiet companion, if that is a possible in the same paddock.

Number one, I wouldn't be considering the herd. Hasn't he only just gone out into the paddock after box rest?
I would think about a quiet companion, if that is a possible in the same paddock.

This is what I thought, don't know why my yard owner is pushing me to put him back with the herd, she asks every time I see her :/

I dont see why he can't live out in his smaller paddock on his own as girl with the horse in the one next to him also wants to leave hers out overnight so they would have company

It could be that she's suggesting it as she thinks it's a way to improve his behaviour? But what it comes down to is that you have to work out what's best for his recovery. I've just read over a few of your other posts as I hadn't seen them before, it sounds like he possibly isn't ready for the herd yet, but Carthorse made a really suggestion regarding Sedolin, this is definitely worth thinking about!

Be a bit tougher and hold out for a while longer. I know it's tempting to put him out with the herd, but Ale is still early on in his recovery, and you really don't want a set back which could lead to months more of box rest.

We may have a compromise in that he will go out overnight with one quiet pony to start with and see how it goes :)

What does your vet think?
I know when I got pressure from other liveries, my answer was the vet has said xyz. It meant it settled me and as a result she was if you follow, your yard owner isn't a vet.

I asked if mine could go in the school as she was becoming a handful in the afternoon walk out. Obviously we didn't have an injury but she was knocked for six with her illness fitness and stamina wise though it didn't stop her leaping and rearing.

I've fallen back on the vet/farrier comment too NF, it's something that can't be effectively argued with & because I know mine so well I would actually point anyone who did in their direction (though I'd warn them first & say that I was happy following their advice).

I just can't see that it's worth ruining everything that you've done so far & ending up with him back on box rest. I'm in a similar situation & have done even longer on box rest so I understand how you feel x

If it were me I would go for option 1 and see how you go - while he can have a bit of a hooley alone, being in a herd is inevitably going to increase the chances of that, and if he sets himself back, it's just going to take longer to heal.

Mine come in at night all year long, in summer I may let the three comtois stay out, but the donkeys prefer to come in - they can be left with their doors open so they can go out and in other stables, and Bud much prefers to come in at night, it's what he's used to.

newrider.com