third lesson!!! woo!

Evelyn

Why is this title so shor
Sep 7, 2004
Belfast, N.Ireland
Visit site
Hi, back again after a two week absence. (absense?)

I had my third lesson today in Lessans.

We did 20m circles, changing reins on diagonals, 5 and 6 loop serpentines and sitting, rising and standing trot.

Overall it was a good lesson, I very much enjoyed it. But the horse I rode, Caz, was very lazy. I had to whack it with a whippy stick to get it to trot and to keep it trotting.

Claire.

edited to ask:

kgj66 or madge, were you there today? Might I have seen you? Did you see me? (private lesson with Sarah, 3 o clock)

Last edited:
Rising trot is about 74000 times easier. I can actually confidently do rising trot without thinking I'm going to fall off now.

But standing is so impossible! And I can do sitting a bit, not well at all.

Claire.

Hi! Glad to hear you enjoyed your lesson, it sounds like you are coming on well! Kaz can be a bit slow at times, but once you get him going hes really good. Its a bit ironic that his proper name is kamikaze!
Im not so good at standing trot either, I dont have very good balance and my leg muscles begin to sieze up about halfway around the school!

I know your instructor may have encouraged you to use it but beware that 'wippy stick'!

Your horse may well sense your tension at going forward, or you may simply not be giving it confident or correct enough signals to go forward. It is then a bit tough if it thinks it is doing what you are telling it to do (ie, go steady) whether consciously or not, and then you punish it for not responding.

I went to a school where I was routinely encouraged to use the crop in this way, and I spent 7 or 8 months there learning very little. Quite a waste of money.

Be aware that you have probably been put on a steady horse as it is only your 3rd lesson and you have much to learn, and that rather than being lazy, the horse is trying to teach you.

I was about on Sunday but I don't think I saw you - we are in the earlier group ride about 12 o'clock but normally are around for a while afterwards nattering to the horses etc. Glad to hear your lessons are going well. Kaz can be lazy but he is very steady. It can be good for you anyway cos you really get to work on the leg aids!! It can be a bit of a change then riding a horse thats very responsive - I got to ride Holmer a couple of times recently (the big grey) and he just goes with a wee nudge - was a bit scary at the start but once I got used to it I really enjoyed it (although typically I fell off when he decided not to jump a fence for some reason - which was more then likely my fault cos I didn't give enough "leg" - luckily I didn't hurt myself - quite a long way to fall - I tend to just go with it now! - I'm determined to fall off every horse in the school! (joke but I think it will probably happen!)

Maya-m: It may seem to you that I got on the horse and starting tappin it with a stick. Before I hit it, I squeezed, kicked, clicked, and talked to the thing. I signalled to the best of my ability. The whippy stick was used because it wouldn't listen at all.

kgj66: I have a lesson next sunday, 3pm again. It's the only time in the week I'm free!

clurly_wurly: I tense up and my legs go forward, so I fall back. I try very hard to pull my legs back whilst keeping the horse trotting. It doesn't work incredibly well.

madge: After I had Toby for my first lesson, after he was very responsive and nicely fast, Zazu was a big change. It would probably have been better never to have put me on toby, as I wouldn't know properly how lazy Zazu and Kaz were in comparison.

Claire.

newrider.com