Third week as a new rider

Tommy Matterson

Feb 22, 2003
location location
Visit site
And so I enter my third week of riding. The sun was out and Bob was in fine form. I had a crop but didn't have to use it. He slipped into trot after one or two requests. We did about three circuits at a time, rising and sitting in different places. I've still got a fair bit of work to do on both but generally built up a good rhythm. I knew when I was on the wrong diagonal etc. We did the usual stirrupless stuff and I managed to keep Bob going for a couple of 20m circles. Fred will be glad to know that there were no 'bashing' incidents although this time my underwear rode-up up an cut off the blood from my iliac artery. This required immediate attention (standing in the stirrups and pulling them down again). That kept my instructor amused. She told me to get kitted out properly (like I need more expense).

I didn't do any Cossack tricks but generally I felt there was a good level of progression. I was told I was beginning to look 'good in the saddle' which is nice because it gives me more chance of pulling horsey birds. My aids are becoming more definite and co-ordinated which is why Bob keeps going instead of stopping every time we go round a corner (so it wasn't his fault after all!). Dear old Bob! He had a good rhythm to his trot today.

As regards Adam's previous post my instructor never uses the term 'posting'. I assume that this is the rising part of trot? Anyway as for the question of doing it stirrupless - yes you can. How do I know this? Because we're doing it in the next lesson apparently.

Good luck with your lessons everyone, oh and Adam - remember next time you're cantering, you maybe going faster, but I look good! Ha Ha hah heehehheheh cackle cough splutter (in a manic way).

He is quite good but can be unforgiving - but then it would be boring if horses behaved like robots. I think for an absolute beginner like me he is perfect. Not too feisty but easy to tell when he's getting p****d off. Oh and he bucked for the first time today which was a right old laugh.

Nice one Tommy:)

My instructor calls posting when you kind of stand up in the stirrups and balance. Not sure if it's anything to do with rising trot etc, just standing...(Cossak style, y'know:D ) Let me know how it goes.

There's also the riding with my legs bent behind my back and the "look, no hands!!!" version of the stirrupless rising trot!

Nice to hear you're getting the rhythm and posture. (Although next time she tells you you're looking good, try riding without the Elvis costume and then see what she says:cool:

Joking aside, (which is probably a good thing as I'm so bad at it), it sounded like a pretty good lesson all in all. I'm still waiting for the day when it all starts coming together like it seemd to for you- I keep forgetting stuff like outside leg just behind a little on the girth when turning etc and can't seem to get the rising trot settled - still bumpy. Ah well, keep up the good work, sounds like you're doing realy well!
..and best of luck with those horsey birds! :)

Originally posted by Tommy Matterson

I was told I was beginning to look 'good in the saddle' which is nice because it gives me more chance of pulling horsey birds.

Oh and you were doing so well..... Never mind - your penance is rising trot no stirrups which will, quite simply, leave you in agony ;)

posting is when you do rising trot..ie rising up and down to trot. :)
(and the opposite is sitting trot where you park your behind in the saddle and keep there)(which is what you also do hen trotting without stirrups unless you have a mean instructor that makes you do rising trot without stirrups!:eek: )

newrider.com