This is breaking my heart - UPDATE POST TRIMMER

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Ziggy is no better. He's worse. If his leg was broken it could hardly be worse.

I am poulticing and watching him hobble around to eat grass is just awful. He seems quite happy, except that he can't walk. It makes me :cry::cry::cry:

Trevor is coming tomorrow afternoon (and typically I can't be there), but my friend Catherine says that as a podiatrist he is unlikely to take invasive action. I just want someone to make my poor in pain pony better.

Howl, howl, howl....

Last edited:
I am really sorry Jane, I know how much it hurts to see your horse suffering and having the visual aid of him hobbling will make it loads worse... big hugs Jane:cry:

So sorry Jane,healing vibes for ziggy and hugs for you and keeping fingers crossed something is found tomorrow xx

Healing vibes winging their way from Bucks! And I prescribe a large glass of red wine (for you, not for Ziggy!). Well it works for me...

I shouldn't say it but do you know a really good farrier? I wouldn't let many vets treat an abcess, ( except senior partner who tells us where to get farrier to pare).... our farrier is great at releasing pressure safely. I think this is beyond most 'podiatrists'

I shouldn't say it but do you know a really good farrier? I wouldn't let many vets treat an abcess, ( except senior partner who tells us where to get farrier to pare).... our farrier is great at releasing pressure safely. I think this is beyond most 'podiatrists'

This is what I was thinking. A farrier won't automatically suggest putting on shoes, indeed I've known more than one farrier suggest taking them off if the horse is capable of being without them, and they do know how to trim & balance a hoof.

Last edited:
I would agree with EML and Carthorse.

I don't know anything about barefoot trimmers, but I do know that I would prefer my farrier to deal with an abscess rather than a vet any day of the week.

Farriers see abscesses ALL the time, they know where the seat of it is and where to cut.

I have seen vets - even from very good equine practices make a proper mess of trying to find the seat of an abscess.

And Ziggy will look like he has broken his leg - but he will be fine - honest xx

Awk pet hugs.....was there with in summer with that with mare and my farrier sorted it. He is worth his weight in gold and right everytime plus good with my back footie mare and of course it was hind foot so a nightmare to poultice.

So upsetting as she was hobbling too :cry:

I'd be wanting to investigate the sole and see if there was an obvious place to have a dig at.

newrider.com