This might encourage us older riders

This is lovely, what a very sweet pair they are. I would love to watch them performing dressage although I'm sure it would probably make me cry! And what a great idea the century club is, they both look amazing for their age!!

When I was a kid we had an old guy who used to hunt twice a week, he was 82, and I think his housekeeper was about 92, he did all his own mucking out and clipping.

She was brilliant, if you went round to see him, she used to summon him in from the yard with a hunting horn!

There is a presentation hunting horn in our hall - never thought of using it to summon OH!
I think that pic is stretching a point. The rider is 70 and her horse 30.
I aimed to reach the joint 100 with my share but she was retired one year short of our target.
OH could get there in 3 years time as he is riding a very elderly horse at the moment.
I am very happy riding a younger horse now. By the time I am 82 (I hope I will still be riding) the two of us still wont hit 100.

I will need to be 79 for me and Mac to add up to 100 - only 7 years away ! As I had to withdraw from a dressage competition at the beginning of January because of a problem with a hip, my chances of winning a class are getting less and less. When I used to do dressage regularly I had lots of 2nd places but never won anything. It would have been nice to get a first but we had lots of fun trying.

MAC 66 how nice that you are in your 70s too. I dont feel so lonely now. I am sorry about your hip. I havent yet ever competed at anything, Dressage competition was held out to me as a hope last summer but plans changed so you are well ahead of me. There are some very fancy older riders who compete near here on lovely horses - so being realistic I wouldnt come anywhere near the top. Even our RIs didnt get rosettes lately.

Reactions: MAC66
Skib, when I used to compete a lot I was a livery at a very popular show centre so I had no transport problems and it was so easy to take part in whatever I wanted, usually one dressage and 3 or 4 showjumping a month. Then I moved from there and the horse I had then retired so everything fizzled out for a while. When I got Mac, which will be 9 years ago on Friday, I got the itch to try dressage again and did a few shows now and then when there was something within an easy hacking distance, we didn't do too badly. My RI lost her horse so I offered her Mac to do some dressage and she did really well with him. she qualified him to go Hickstead and we took him there,won a novice championship and won several times at Elementary level. I enjoyed all the preparation for shows and generally being a groom for my RI but I still have this itch to do it myself. I shall never be as good as her obviously but if I can get my hip sorted soon I hope to try again before next winter.

I know two other ladies which are older than me, one is bent double with arthritis but still rides and does all her own mucking out and so on because she doesn't trust anyone else to do it , the other was still doing dressage but I haven't seen her recently, she may have just stopped for the winter.

Ah that's lovely - I hope I'm still riding at 70. I'm 40 now. I have a feeling that I might be shrinking as I get older, and as I'm only 4 foot 11 at the moment that's slightly worrying. But by then, I might have managed a canter :)

This thread from 2015 seems quite sad now with Mac66 out of action. But it reminds me that OH will be 77 in September and I think he and his trusty steed will then qualify for 100. Tho last I heard there were plans to switch him to a slightly younger horse. Sooner or later the big story for us oldies is picking up the reins on a new horse.

Aww I just read that article and have tears in my eyes what a wonderful end to her horses career and hers. and looking marvellous for a 30 year old horse. and the lady rider too for 70 I hope I will be still riding at 70

newrider.com