Those of you who are solo workers, work from home or don't work...

My OH works alone, but as he's SE he has new clients all the time but he works outdoors so does work on his own and only hears from them when they offer him a cup of tea. He has said he never gets lonely because has always been happy in his own company, he is an only child though so probably has always been like that.

I have worked from home on occassion on my own and enjoy it, I certainly get more work done ! But I couldn't do it all the time, I like working in the same office as people (doing a different job to mine though ! )

the first year home with the baby was hard. i totally missed my work and coworkers.
starting a business from home has helped a lot. I get the customer interaction and I have lovely customers. Plus I do the online thing.
Being an introvert that sort of seems to fill y need for people interaction sufficiently lol

I am at home not working atm and I also keep the horses on their own. The family are home in the evening.

I don't get lonely, got lots of friends I see from time to time but I do miss a chat. Thats why I come on here:smile:

I do a bit, leave abit, have a coffee and come on here. Much like I would chat to someone in the office, or whatever, during breaks.

I'm a homemaker. I miss my hubby when he's away but I don't get lonely. I prefer working for myself but like to have human contact and feel helpful in whatever job I do. Client contact (Cambridge Consultant and landlady) would give me enough of that.

I like working with Mr T, but equally enjoy it when I am working alone and he's on site. I miss him when he's away but I don't mind my own company - and like Tina, there's always somebody on here to chat to!

I'm here quite a bit on my own and also on my own at work down in the big house. I'm an only child so it doesn't bother me at all.... I enjoy peace and quiet and I only ever put music on to do my own housework. The TV is never on unless Dom is in the house!! I don't even have the radio on in the car, except on rare occasions. It did take some getting used to, living where we do but I'm OK now.

Saying that, Dom left at 4pm to drive our employers down to Heathrow so he probably won't be back until around 9.30. I don't like being here knowing that there is NO-ONE on the estate but me!

Last edited:
I enjoy working alongside my boss but I admit I also like it when she's off on holiday or teaching or whatever and I have the yard to myself. I don't mind working alone at all, the horses are company enough and I like a nice quiet yard where I can bumble around doing my jobs in my own time.

i work at home, normally on average 2-3 days a week, but over the last 6 months thats gone to 100% of my week due to being pregnant and them not wanting to send me to site.

I LOVE it. I dont have to 'make' an effort with people i wouldnt normally want to spend a day with. I get to go up to the horses whenever i want. I get to ride during the day. I get to arrange deliveries/contractors at the house whenever. I also dont have ridiculous early starts to travel to sites all over the country, i dont have to stay away like my colleagues do either.....

I dont miss office politics and bitchiness AT ALL.

I find i do have to be strong willed and driven - yes i do go up the horses but i always make sure i make my hours up and start early/finish late to make sure i have done all my work.

I've been retired for 12 years now and my OH for 11. After he retired from his "proper" job he was self employed for a while. I quite enjoyed the novelty of being at home alone and being able to please myself what I did when. We both say we don't miss the work, but we did miss the people we worked with although we both meet up with our ex-colleagues from time to time. Neither of us mind being on our own while the other is off somewhere doing their own thing but as we get older it does worry me what it would be like if one of us was left on our own, I try not to dwell on that too much though.

I crave time on own, I work in a busy noisy huge open plan office where its really hard to concentrate and people are always comming over for advice and to 'just run something by' me....GGGRRRRR bugger off and let me get on, I've got deadlines too. Then I get home and OH is there having retired, alnd not spoken to another human being all day and is full of chat.

I am an only child, I need time on my own and blessed blessed silence.

I'm a masseur & work part-time from home. But I have my clients to talk to, so it's never dull or lonely. I live with OH & my mother. We all get on very well. OH has retired now, so he & Mum are more alone than me!

Sometimes I do crave a quiet house with nobody home.................

Nope, radio on, in my workshop, dogs in and out all day. I is perfectly happy with nobody about.

I work from home with my OH and have done so for the past 20 years .. but I don't do many hours.. most of my day is taken up with children, school run, horse, then a couple of hours work, then two dogs to walk, pick up children, do shopping, home, dinner, etc etc... my day is very busy.

I have to nip in to the office (i.e. spare room) every now and then for emergency customer requirements, invoices etc at any time really including weekends which is fine.

Not sure I would like working from home if I was completely alone, single, no children or animals though :frown:

newrider.com