Those of you with shelters, or willing to give advice - Dissapointing update

You could knock them in the ground or use meta posts in the ground.
Do you not need planning permission for anything in the ground. I was reading up and apparently you are supposed to move mobile shelters every 28 days to meet the criteria. No one is ever going to police that though.

I noticed that your set up has the electric fence running in front of the trees. He can't tuck himself into a tree for shelter.

What's along the fence boundaries where you are? You wouldn't just have trees surely, they would be in front of something? A bank, sheep fencing etc.
The hedges at certain times of year would provide protection from the sun/ wind if it vane from behind obviously.

I have made her a shelter by trimming back an overhanging hawthorn. I have it seen her use in the heat of the sun.

I noticed that your set up has the electric fence running in front of the trees. He can't tuck himself into a tree for shelter.

What's along the fence boundaries where you are? You wouldn't just have trees surely, they would be in front of something? A bank, sheep fencing etc.
The hedges at certain times of year would provide protection from the sun/ wind if it vane from behind obviously.

I have made her a shelter by trimming back an overhanging hawthorn. I have it seen her use in the heat of the sun.
We have hedges, wire fencing and banks. But all outside my fence line and not the way the sun goes so offer no shade until after 4pm

It maybe cheaper for you to plant something quick growing?

But you can put together something to act as a windbreaker simple enough with pallets, straw bales. What have you been using for the summer is that not movable?

He would eat hay, pallets are dangerous unless I line and then there is a fire risk. I made a small paddock in the shade that he went in when we were mid 30s. That isn't a permenant solution as it's not my field, today he just stayed in his field. None of the horses up here use the shade that's available, they are all out grazing at mid day. But I want him to have the option really.

I also really want somewhere dry for winter. But that's just for me more than him!

That's terrible that anything wood is an arson risk. :mad:
What did you do last year in winter? I can't remember? Sorry if you've already said.

That's terrible that anything wood is an arson risk. :mad:
What did you do last year in winter? I can't remember? Sorry if you've already said.
Nothing, wind was mainly from the sides that were hedged, when not he turned him bum into it and got on with eating. He was never cold or seemed bothered

Do you not need planning permission for anything in the ground. I was reading up and apparently you are supposed to move mobile shelters every 28 days to meet the criteria. No one is ever going to police that though.
Technically yes, I’ve put several of the pole type up over the years and never got any stick for it but I guess that will depend on your neighbours and where you site it. I have also always taken them down when I’ve moved on.

What size are those pallets? Would Ale fit under at 14.2?
They’re 1.2m x 1.8m, and the roof is about 8cm above that at the front which you could easily increase by using thicker roof supports at the edges, my friend has his up 30cm and his 16hh (but low head carriage) mare is happy in there

If push really came to shove, could you put up something like heavy duty tarpaulin up off poles? Then you could move then to comply with regulations.

Not ideal, but could be better than nothing?

Reactions: MrA
or use straw bales and put a tarp over them, no need for planning, and they can eat them in summer. you could use the small ones and make an E shape with them or use the big ones two high and stretch a tarp over top and tuck in between the layers

Definitely dont use straw far too combustible, for the little tyrates down the road.

Id put three meta posts in the ground and posts, get four 8 x 4 ply sheets and make up two walls at 90 degrees so Ale can stand behind it for shelter out the wind. Put a small roof over. Whilst it wont be moveable, if its only two sides i dont think anyone could say its a shed or building.

Definitely dont use straw far too combustible, for the little tyrates down the road.

Id put three meta posts in the ground and posts, get four 8 x 4 ply sheets and make up two walls at 90 degrees so Ale can stand behind it for shelter out the wind. Put a small roof over. Whilst it wont be moveable, if its only two sides i dont think anyone could say its a shed or building.

Think this is the idea that I'm going to go with, but I might try and get 4 posts put in and just a roof for now. Adding a back panel and then possible a side one at a later date.
I just need to run it past my yard owner and then see if I can find someone to do it.

Have you got something like this? This is next doors tree, it's going to lose its leaves, but I hope will offer something. The is a three foot bank on this side which again I hope offers something.
DSC_3055.JPG

This is what I have to one side. There is a bank behind the hedge so good shelter year round. Behind him you can see the open fields. To the left there are also open fields. 103923

And this is the other side, not a great picture but it's a mixture of trees and hedge, but the trees don't overlap the field and the sun goes round over the open field sides.
It's a residential area so the other sides of the fields are surrounded by houses etc but that's no good for ale to shelter in.

Ale just to say that my "mobile shelter" has been in its original position for 10 years now, and as far as I can tell nobody cares. I think you would need a neighbour to complain a lot for anyone to pay any attention at all.

ETA I am also in Surrey, in Waverley, a famously anti-development council - and in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and an SSSI too!

View attachment 103922

This is what I have to one side. There is a bank behind the hedge so good shelter year round. Behind him you can see the open fields. To the left there are also open fields. View attachment 103923

And this is the other side, not a great picture but it's a mixture of trees and hedge, but the trees don't overlap the field and the sun goes round over the open field sides.
It's a residential area so the other sides of the fields are surrounded by houses etc but that's no good for ale to shelter in.
Can you set up the grazing so he always has access to the right handed hedge?
Before mine went onto the track I incorporated where the shelter was, so all year round she can stand by it.

newrider.com