Those silly questions that pass through our minds thread

My experience of those, they’re just about manageable with for a couple of days away, but wouldn’t cut it for daily work, they’re not all that tough, are small and not very sturdy.

That’s a very good question, why don’t they? I guess they need to be pretty tough to stand up to rolling etc
Thanks, saved me some pennies. And she's produces some pretty hefty molehills.

Reactions: Jessey
All rugs should have a breaking point though?
I don't like leg straps unless they are quick release. They used to be leather didn't they.
Do they, where? When I've known other horses put a leg through the belly strap the rug itself usually rips open but the strap is nearly always still intact. Then you end up with a horse with a ripped rug and belly strap stuck round his legs. He's only a petite boy so he obviously couldn't break the rug

Don't know where, just thinking they should.
Mine is a baby bull and breaks everything. She snapped a nylon headcollar in half at two.

I may or may not rug this year so I may need a good supply if she trashes everything.

Don't know where, just thinking they should.
Mine is a baby bull and breaks everything. She snapped a nylon headcollar in half at two.

I may or may not rug this year so I may need a good supply if she trashes everything.
Sorry thought all this time they had one I didn't know about. I've had a few horses stuck in their rugs and it's hard to get them out, something you could pull to release everything would be good. But then no doubt the field mates would cotton on and there would be lots of naked ponies out there

• Haha
Reactions: Jessey
Mine is a bit too intelligent. She used to lean forwards to get the horse to poke his head out of the stable, nibble with her headcollar, will then fell off, so she go and talk to the other colt!!!
That's forward planning.

I know horses can occasionally have genuinely freak accidents but I honestly believe MOST accidents related to tack/rugs/equipment are avoidable if things are done correctly.
They shouldn't really be able to get a foot caught in a belly strap if it's correctly adjusted. They need to be fairly snug. I can't stand seeing droopy straps!
I actually think if rugs / straps were too easy to break there would be far MORE rug-related accidents.

I think that the whole Covid situation has resulted in people having nothing interesting to talk about, hence the lack of posts. I check in most days but am going through a lull in posting. Partly because having a horse as lame as mine makes me feel really sad and I don’t want to talk about it much. But also because I don’t do anything other than walk round the field on him so there is nothing interesting to say.

I pop in and try to follow what everyone else is up to, but often don't post for a while. Normally, it's just time related - I ride most evenings but by the time I get back, it's late and then it's dinner and spending time with the OH.

During the day, I'm still working full time from home and use the saved time in the morning where I used to go to the yard for a home exercise session or start work early.

I've popped in today as currently on a speaker phone meeting - for which, I only need to actively take part for about 15 minutes but I'm still on the 90 minute call :D

I have fair bit to write about, and hundreds of cool photos to share, but I'm too lazy to post ;) Besides, it would feel a bit mean to be going on about what a great time I'm having living, working and travelling freely around a covid free country :p But I have just got one step left to go in my uni application, having got through the first three stages, and if it goes well I don't think I'll be able to refrain from talking about it here!

Last edited:
I have fair bit to write about, and hundreds of cool photos to share, but I'm too lazy to post ;) Besides, it would feel a bit mean to be going on about what a great time I'm having living, working and travelling freely around a covid free country :p But I have just got one step left to go in my uni application, having got through the first three stages, and if it goes well I don't think I'll be able to refrain from talking about it here!
I would love to hear all about what you are up to in your Covid free environment Joosie, it would be wonderful actually, a bit like travelling back in time to when this dreadful virus was just a twinkle in its mother’s eye. ?

newrider.com