Those who loan, do you wish you owned them?

Laura+Phantom

Jan 25, 2004
*sigh*, I do! It's so scary thinking that they could be taken away from you at any time, saphy's owner called tonight and I was out, it makes you wonder what they are going to say! (as they very rarely phone)

*Whispers* I wish she was mine!

I don't know if that will ever be possible though :(

Any other loaners feel like that?

I haven't got a loan, I've got a lease, but yes, I do wish she were mine. I love Coquette dearly, and at this point in my riding career, she's just about the perfect horse for me.

Heck, I owned my own horse and I didn't like her half as much as I like Coquette. It would be nice to own her, as that would give me more control over her and open up more oppurtunities with her. Her owner is very gracious about what I can do with her, but I still need to confer with her before going anywhere as she wants to go with Coquette if Coquette goes off the property. Which I can absolutely respect, but it would be nice not to have that to deal with. :) Owning her is a pipedream though as her price has been discussed if she were to ever be sold, and it's way out of my price range...

When i had my loan pony, yes, i wished we could have bought him. Dad did offer to purchase him. He was old (late 20's) and a chronic laminitic so worth pennies on the open market. But his owner wouldn't sell. And yes, i went away for a weeks holiday leaving him in his owners care and when i returned he was gone. I will never, ever loan a horse again after going through the heratbreak of losing Prince :(

right now... (cross fingers) everthing is working out really well with my loan but I do dread when/if the owner will give me notice. I care for her horse like a baby doing things with her that she cant and then for her to decide that she didnt need the money or whatever would be heart breaking. I would love to own her but the committment is massive that's one thing i have learnt loaning. I would want her riden five or six times a week but I could get a loan ... and the circle continues. (she wakes up)

I will never, ever loan a horse again after going through the heratbreak of losing Prince :(

Ditto, although we got back from a show and I was told to either ride with his owner, or not at all. I haven't seen him since :(

I will never loan a horse, nor can I imagine ever loaning one out as I would hate to do that to somebody. I like to think I wouldn't do it in such a sudden way, but you never know.

I never wanted to own my old loan mare - I guess I didn't get to know her properly to really fall for her. Didn't stop being absolutely devestated when she went!

I hope that Stumpy's future loaner doesn't keep bugging me to sell her. She's MINE :p

Yup, I do wish I owned Sam, but in reality I know that he is never for sale, I love him to death and despite his issues he is my boy!!

But, I do think that if I had the money to afford my own I would get a different horse, but then thinking about it I'm not sure I could find one as cool as Sam, I do know thought that if he was mine I would invest in a Saddle Co saddle as I've heard such rave reviews about them!!!

:D

Speaking from the other perspective as the owner of the loaned horse, who is very much loved by both parties. He isn't for sale, won't be for sale, and is to be owned by us for life!

Equally, while he is fit and well and enjoying his eventing, he will stay in his loan home, as long as they want him.

He is worth a pretty penny on the open market, many people would give their right arm to have a horse of his calibre, temperament and soundness.

However, he has been incredible in the seven years i've had him, and I consider it to be my duty to make sure that he gets a certain standard of life, and also a retirement to lots of grazing at an appropriate time. He is the type of horse that were he to get into the wrong hands, could easily end up being labelled as dangerous.

I tried to buy my ex share horse when his owner and I parted company a year ago. It was heartbreaking for me having to give him up.

That's why I decided to buy my own after that. Never want to go through that again.

A huge YES. I wish that my loan horse was mine and that I had total say over her keep. Loaning has so many positive factors but ultimately the horses always belong to someone else and they have the right to take them back as and when they please. The problem is that when you start a loan situation you never think that you are going to become so attached to them!

ahhh laura you whimp! i'd have to ring now else i would be worried!

about the question, i have been sharing a horse (as you probably know, laura fo sure does) and it is heart breaking. when i go home, i was thinking of sharing but i cant :( i will have to buy!

I actually am quite happy with the situation I'm in. I started riding Spyder about 5 years ago when i first started volunteering for RDA, the instructor told me I could have a lesson afterwards in return for helping out, and I met Spyder. I was allowed to ride him after RDA every week, and soon his owner suggested me and my friend who rode her other pony, come down on a Sunday to help out on the yard in return for riding. 5 years later whenever I'm home from uni I share him with his owner, who is now a good friend. It's a great situation for both of us, as she doesn't ride very often at all - maybe once a week, so when i'm home Spyder gets exercised more often. I get a horse I can look after, do pretty much what I want with, without the complete responsibility for him, as if anything does go wrong I can just knock on her door for help! Yes, there are days when I'd love it if he was my own, but I think this way works out the best at the moment. His owner has mentioned a few times that in a few years she's going to retire, move house, and give him to me, but we shall see about that!

I love my situation too, but I have been on the other end.

I leased two horses for about 5-6 months, and one day the owner emailed me and said that she was putting one of them up for sale (this happened to be the one I got along with wayyyy better). I cried all night long, thought about buying her, etc etc. It turned out for the best, because instead of buying her, I looked for another loan. I hadn't really bonded to either of the horses, so it was easy for me, plus I wanted to be at a bigger barn.

Now I half lease Eddie, and I really couldn't be happier. His owner and I get along soooo well, and she tells me that she wants me to treat him like he is my own. We call and email about him quite often, and that makes me happy because I can tell she loves him and cares about him sooo much, but she still trusts me with her baby. I would have a hard time loaning from someone I didn't feel comfortable talking to.

At this point in my life, I wouldn't want to buy. I like the flexibility of my half lease; being able to go on vacation and not worry, not needing to be at the barn every day or twice a day. I have a lot of other things going on in my life, so this is ideal for me right now...give me a couple years though, and I'll be ready to hunker down with my own baby!

newrider.com