Thought this might make you all feel better..

tbaynancy

Jul 27, 2009
our temps today:

"Variable cloudiness Temp. -40°C Feels Like -48 "

Yes, you are reading that correctly - it's almost - 50 f^%$*g degrees!!!

I'm sure YO will be keeping the horses in today. We've definitely hit a winter cold snap. Yesterday's HIGH was -28C.

Leaving for our usual 2 week beach vacation on Feb. 12th - can't wait!

Tina2011

Mar 23, 2012
Gateway to europe
OMG! that is cold. Is that normal in Canada? I used to have a canadian friend who lived in Toronto and she used to say the winters where cold. Never realised they where that cold.

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
Woweeeeee!!! :cold::cold::cold: That really IS cold!!!!

Do you ride at all in winter? I don't have a school so can't really, but even if I did its too cold for me to want to!!!

tbaynancy

Jul 27, 2009
Tina, I grew up in Toronto but now live in Thunder Bay - Toronto doesn't get this cold (in fact, the headlines for the papers there are warning of a big freeze - temps around -10). Folks up here would switch into their spring jackets!!

Warning to all environmentalists out there - don't read further ......

in this weather, I start my car up half an hour before I have to leave for work and let it run and it's still not "warm" but at least the seats don't feel like you're sitting on a concrete block. It's weather like this that makes me wish I'd paid for heated seats in my car.

tbaynancy

Jul 27, 2009
Woweeeeee!!! :cold::cold::cold: That really IS cold!!!!

Do you ride at all in winter? I don't have a school so can't really, but even if I did its too cold for me to want to!!!

We do have an indoor school (unheated) but I don't think anyone rides in this weather - just not pleasant. I'll ride when it's -25 or so, but that's my limit.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Puts it into respective doesn't it. The next time it goes slightly below freezing and you see a post from one of us UK peeps saying its cold-kick us up the rear!

Mainly its wet here, you need a canoe as oppose to a coat.

Last edited:

candyflosspot

bossy boots
Sep 7, 2010
Sheffield
That is cold Tbay:cold::cold:. Is it anything like Sweden where its a "dry" cold rather than a "damp" cold.. I have friends over in Sweden who i visited a few years ago and it was -20 when we were there.

Cold yes but it was just cold rather than like in England where we have a wet type of cold meaning it gets in your bones..:cold:

Roxy's Mum

Jul 21, 2009
Dorset
I keep telling people in this country that they have not experienced a winter or know the meaning of cold until they have experienced a Wisconsin winter - when I was there, temperatures were similar to yours tbaynancy, now THAT is bloody cold!

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
Somehow, I think Flip would cope just fine - he looks sturdy and fluffy enough to stand a Canadian winter. So, I guess you might as well just send him on over.

pmsl, your logic is impeccable TBay! Although not sure mr flip would agree today....snow day!!

So how much fuel must you guys get through .....or do you only go to work like one day out of the month?! Must cost so much more in heating. Mental!

tbaynancy

Jul 27, 2009
I keep telling people in this country that they have not experienced a winter or know the meaning of cold until they have experienced a Wisconsin winter - when I was there, temperatures were similar to yours tbaynancy, now THAT is bloody cold!

Yes, we get the same weather - we're just north of Wisconsin & Minnesota.

By the way, it's warmed up to -36 now (-44 with the wind chill).

tbaynancy

Jul 27, 2009
pmsl, your logic is impeccable TBay! Although not sure mr flip would agree today....snow day!!

So how much fuel must you guys get through .....or do you only go to work like one day out of the month?! Must cost so much more in heating. Mental!

We're lucky in that we heat with natural gas - which right now is relatively cheap compared to oil or electric. But, we have to plug our cars in overnight, so will probably see electric bills around $250 for a really cold month - not sure how that compares to UK rates?

Sadly, since this weather isn't unusual - it's work every day. Except I'm home today because OH has to go into the hospital later this morning for a minor (I hope) operation and I'm on here killing time so I don't have to think about it.