Thoughts

Hoof_hearted

Aug 29, 2017
So totally non horse related.

How many people have tied their dog up outside a shop as you pop in to get something like juice or a snack?

I was out a walk with my daughter and my dog today and decided to get a couple things from the shop so i tied my dog up, she's a good girl and always waits patiently for me and her treat that she knows she gets once i come out.

Anyways

Just as I was entering the shop I looked back to give her a quick glance and I seen a small boy with his arms wrapped around her neck giving her a cuddle. My first thought was aww how cute, then I thought what if she wasn't as tolerant of children and she bit him or gave him a nip?
I'd be completely to blame in that situation, not the fact that this boy's mother was standing some distance away talking on her phone.

It was the norm when I was a child (and also quite common for people to chuck their dogs out to roam the streets in the morning and let them back in when they got home from work). I think kids and parents were more dog savvy then, plus there wasn't the 'where there's a blame there's a claim' culture that exists today - if you got bitten it was your own fault for messing with the dog.

I wonder if it actually does society any good being so careful not to expose others to potential accidents instead of individuals having to actually learn how to avoid them, e.g. learning how to behave around strange dogs. I mean you'd think it was common sense to warn your child not to approach an unknown dog, but clearly not.

Having said that I wouldn't want to leave my friendly dog tied up outside a shop in case he got pinched!

Reactions: Jessey
Oh heck, bit tricky isn't it? Really the lad's mum should have been watching him properly. As you say, lucky your girl is good and okay with kids.
Yeah bless her I think it's the staffy in her that makes her so tolerant of kids, she just loves them.

It was the norm when I was a child (and also quite common for people to chuck their dogs out to roam the streets in the morning and let them back in when they got home from work). I think kids and parents were more dog savvy then, plus there wasn't the 'where there's a blame there's a claim' culture that exists today - if you got bitten it was your own fault for messing with the dog.

I wonder if it actually does society any good being so careful not to expose others to potential accidents instead of individuals having to actually learn how to avoid them, e.g. learning how to behave around strange dogs. I mean you'd think it was common sense to warn your child not to approach an unknown dog, but clearly not.

Having said that I wouldn't want to leave my friendly dog tied up outside a shop in case he got pinched!

So many people from this day and age seem go be lacking common sense it would seem. I deffinately think we'd benefit from not being so bubble wrapped!
Kids can't even play conkers without having to wear eye protection!

That's always my biggest fear leaving her tied up outside, not that she'd bite but someone steals her.

Funny you should start this thread. I wouldn’t tie up any more did as a kid with pet dogs but not now. But more to do with dogs being stolen.

However I was walking my new nine month old rescue puppy who is scared of people along the road at schooling out time. A very young boy just walked straight at Ceto and I she backed away behind my legs, the mother never said a thing. We were speechless. What if our dog who was on the led had nipped him she was terrified.

People today are idiots

Reactions: Trewsers
I wouldn't do it. There are so many dogs being stolen in this way. Whipped into the back of cars and away. There even being being stolen from peoples gardens.
A friend of mine was walking there dog down the busy shopping street. Pavement not particularly wide and lots of road traffic. They were walking there dog passed one tied outside a shop and it literally grabbed his dog and ripped it open. His dog needed multiple stitches. Further investigation revealed apparently the person regularly tied there dog outside shops in the area and it wasn't the first time it had lunged at other dogs. Locals who knew the dog and owner said that they were not the nicest of people.

I wouldn't either. Personally i wouldn't risk going in the shop for a min due to dogs been stolen. In regards to the child. Sadly i say sadly. You would be at fault as you would been seen as having a 'dangerous dog' I HATE that law. As every dog can bite. But they wouldn't take into account that for example the dog was tied up and couldn't get away. So defended itself in the only way it knew. And if it had never happened before there would be the whole 'unpredictability' of it happening again.

I wouldn't leave a dog tied up outside anywhere, far too many stolen around here.

We get loads of dogs that come into work and I always just say 'are they friendly?' to the owner before going to fuss them. Half the time at this point the owner has already let them jump up at me...

Any dogs wearing yellow I just leave be, as that's the colour that indicates nervous doggies.

I wouldn't ever leave tied up these days even for 1 min. Just too many that are stolen now. Add the blame there's a claim culture and just not worth it.

Same for me, I would tie up for fear of theft.

Years ago at a show I had my Jack Russell tied at the camp site, I had nipped to the tent next door to talk to my friend, while I was there a girl went to my dog and started teasing him with her sleeve (her hand pulled up inside it) and was gently slapping him upside the head with the floppy bit of fabric, she hadn't quite expected him to play tug with the bit her fingers were in :rolleyes: the mother came to give me an earful about my dog 'attacking' her child, luckily someone had seen the girl tormenting him and told me before the mother got to me and I was able to ask her why her child had not been supervised, had gone into my camping area and had tourmented my dog which was under control, on a lead....thankfully she backed off. Seriously what kind of plonker tourments a working Jack! she was bloody lucky he was good and let go as soon as he realized he had hold of fingers, because it was nothing for that dog to gut a rabbit in one bite o_O

I live in quite a small rural town and don't actually think I've heard of any dogs being stolen here, still dosnt stop it being on the back of my mind though as I hear about it happening in other places.
Where she's tied up she's easily seen from within the shop...usually.

There was something in 2014 where 4 dogs were taken 3 from outside a shop and one from the inside of an unlocked car, but they were found outside another supermarket the next town over, (different days) someone's idea of a prank I think?
Nothing since then though.

I have never tied my dog up outside a shop, because he is far too stealable. He is placid enough to go with anyone and he looks expensive (he was a wedding present, and he’s priceless). You could also hide him under a coat. C6BE0712-A420-47B6-BBF2-0CA7CB79250F.jpegHere’s him & his sister a few years ago on their birthday. 81050B60-8AA4-474C-B5F8-C093EE93CA8F.jpeg

Reactions: Hoof_hearted
Years ago when one of my children was quite young he kicked his football over the fence into next door's garden. Because we were friendly with the neighbours he didn't think, just nipped round to retrieve it. However, their little dog was in its kennel in the garden and it jumped out and bit him on the arm, resulting in a trip to a&e. The neighbours were mortified but it would never have crossed our mind to blame them or the dog, The dog was securely fastened in the garden and my son was trespassing on his space.

Reactions: Trewsers
I have never tied my dog up outside a shop, because he is far too stealable. He is placid enough to go with anyone and he looks expensive (he was a wedding present, and he’s priceless). You could also hide him under a coat. View attachment 93389Here’s him & his sister a few years ago on their birthday. View attachment 93390

Oh my goodness he's so cute! I wouldn't leave him tied up either even where i live. purely because I'd image he is a magnet for attention.

My dogs a mutt, to me she's the most beautiful dog ever and worth every penny I paid and so much more, but you know just looking at her she's a mutt (staffy x jtr)

Reactions: HaloHoney
Years ago when one of my children was quite young he kicked his football over the fence into next door's garden. Because we were friendly with the neighbours he didn't think, just nipped round to retrieve it. However, their little dog was in its kennel in the garden and it jumped out and bit him on the arm, resulting in a trip to a&e. The neighbours were mortified but it would never have crossed our mind to blame them or the dog, The dog was securely fastened in the garden and my son was trespassing on his space.

I'm just wondering if that happened today to someone who wasn't on good terms with their neighbour or as understanding to the sotuation, would the dog be deemed as unsafe by the parents and if they pressed to have it destroyed who would win?

I'm just wondering if that happened today to someone who wasn't on good terms with their neighbour or as understanding to the sotuation, would the dog be deemed as unsafe by the parents and if they pressed to have it destroyed who would win?
Having just sought legal advise re my horses when I was having issues with kids going in my field, the land owner or tenant is legally responsible for the welfare of anyone on the property, invited or not. Trespass isn't a legal matter just a civil one, so even if they are trespassing it doesn't mitigate your responsibility as a land owner/tenant. Which I think is absolutely crazy. The legal team did advise me that the more keep out/no trespassing signs I had up and documented having up then the higher the chance that a judge would rule in my favor if it were to happen. Of course it all remains up to a judge at the end of the day, but the letter of the law is that you are responsible for anything that happens on your property.

Having just sought legal advise re my horses when I was having issues with kids going in my field, the land owner or tenant is legally responsible for the welfare of anyone on the property, invited or not. Trespass isn't a legal matter just a civil one, so even if they are trespassing it doesn't mitigate your responsibility as a land owner/tenant. Which I think is absolutely crazy. The legal team did advise me that the more keep out/no trespassing signs I had up and documented having up then the higher the chance that a judge would rule in my favor if it were to happen. Of course it all remains up to a judge at the end of the day, but the letter of the law is that you are responsible for anything that happens on your property.

Its crazy really how easily other sensible people can be held accountable for the actions of silly people.
Like your dog and the little girl had there been no witnesses you'd be entirely to blame in everyone's eyes.
I bet there's even still people who would argue your dog was unsafe for nipping a child even with a witness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com