Thoughts?

Hoof_hearted

Aug 29, 2017
So the more Freyja matures the more I'm undecided what to do with her, my original plan was once she hit 4 she'd take over whisks spot and be my riding horse while whisks enjoys life being pampered by the kids and giving pony rides with the occadional wee hack. However the more she matures the more I feel like she'd be wasted with me as all I do I potter about and hack. Shes only 2 at the moment 3 middle of next year. Standing around 15'1hh currently, these photos are 3 months between them IMG_20180809_124555_668.jpgIMG_20181110_164541_263.jpg

Why do you feel she'd be wasted?

I just feel she's got so much potential to go far with someone who isn't just a happy hacker like myself. She's so clever and she's taking everything in with a level head so far. I feel if I kept her I'd be being selfish haha.

Horses don't have competition ambitions, that's a human trait & placing human feelings & aims on a horse is foolish at best & damaging at worst. If you're happy with her as a hack then where's the waste? So far the traits she's shown are just what people look for in a hacking horse, but you haven't said anything that would suggest she's got potential to be a top class competition horse.

If you think she's going to be too much for you to hack then that's a different issue & in that case I could understand selling her on as an unbroken youngster so that someone else has a clean slate to start with, but they may then use her as a hack anyway!

Is she content and happy with you? (She looks it!). If she is, why change things? She's not standing in the field thinking, "Gosh dammit, I wish I could go eventing." Horses don't yearn for what they haven't got. If they have good care, friends in the field and work they enjoy then they're fine. She's your darling! Keep her and ride her!

newrider.com