Threatening to rear...

SilverKismet

Aug 4, 2008
E.Sussex
Okay so Kizzy was threatening to rear for the first time today, she's never done it before!
She was backing up and taking her front legs a few inches off the ground.
It was because we were on the track leading to this little lane and I waited for a horse to go past on the lane before I let her go and she could see the horse and being her wanted to join it :p so I think she was just p***** off because I didn't let her, but she kept doing it then started it a bit after too when I asked her to stand.

Obviously it's hardly anything at this point and I don't mind tbh! But I'd rather she didn't turn into a rearer so what's the best thing to do if they threaten like that?
I don't know if I was doing the right thing.. I gave her all her rein and used a lot of leg, if I had a contact I think she would have gone up.
so just wondering if there's anything else I can do to stop her? :p

thanks guys :) x

Were you giving a lot of leg when asking her to stand?

She's going to get a bit het up when she's being asked to stand and let other horses go out of sight, its understandable. Completely relax yourself and ask her to stand - as soon as she's stood nicely release all the pressure (reins and legs) and as soon as she starts to move again ask her to stand and immediately release the pressure once she's stood.

Talk to her if it helps and stroke her neck. As long as you are releasing the pressure when she's stood still she shouldn't go up. If you think she will, try and turn her. Keeping the front end busy should prevent her from going up

read with interest your reply wild ponies...
would love you to help with mills,,,
ok when Mills sees some thing she does not like, or wants to go somewhere i don,t want her to go, she lifts her front legs,,,, some times just a little, some times a full on half to three quarter rear,,,but,,,,, at this point i have lost all reason, and there is no ay i can relax and let reins, / contact go,,,,,, what then,,,, pls...
she does not like donks,,, she rears,,,,
if she wants to go to the front of the ride, and i try and stop her she rears,,,
help...
oh btw now if we see a donk, i try and press her on, rather than hold her back,,,,
thanks
MM
:eek::eek::eek:

Were you giving a lot of leg when asking her to stand?

She's going to get a bit het up when she's being asked to stand and let other horses go out of sight, its understandable. Completely relax yourself and ask her to stand - as soon as she's stood nicely release all the pressure (reins and legs) and as soon as she starts to move again ask her to stand and immediately release the pressure once she's stood.

Talk to her if it helps and stroke her neck. As long as you are releasing the pressure when she's stood still she shouldn't go up. If you think she will, try and turn her. Keeping the front end busy should prevent her from going up

Ditto. If you put too much pressure on her then she'll go up. :)

x

read with interest your reply wild ponies...
would love you to help with mills,,,
ok when Mills sees some thing she does not like, or wants to go somewhere i don,t want her to go, she lifts her front legs,,,, some times just a little, some times a full on half to three quarter rear,,,but,,,,, at this point i have lost all reason, and there is no ay i can relax and let reins, / contact go,,,,,, what then,,,, pls...
she does not like donks,,, she rears,,,,
if she wants to go to the front of the ride, and i try and stop her she rears,,,
help...
oh btw now if we see a donk, i try and press her on, rather than hold her back,,,,
thanks
MM
:eek::eek::eek:

I think for me, personally, there are two different scenarios here. Fear and napping! The similarity between the two is her reaction to it.

Rearing is a 'last resort' IMO. It is the ultimate form of evasion but i also think that a horse won't rear unless it really wants to tell you something.

First off you say she does it when she's scared. Unfortunately a horse is a prey animal and if they feel in danger they are going to try to run away, fast! When we (as the rider) try to stop them, one response is to rear. We are essentially preventing them from escaping the scary situation!

Is your horse young? One thing I would reccomend regardless of age is basic groundwork and handling skills. Your horse HAS to put faith in you, you need to be the boss.

What's your reaction when she goes up? What do you do after she's reared? Without seeing it, it's hard to advise!

If you are confident enough to be able to distinguish between when she is genuinely scared and when she is napping, and she is persistent in napping, i'd personally give it a bloody good yelling at when it reared, some people give them a thwack between their ears mid air although i'd be very wary of doing that!

It's very easy saying 'relax and drop your rein contact' it comes naturally to me and i appreciate i'm very lucky. No one can cure your fear but they can help you deal with the situation better. The worst thing you can do is tense up. Additionally, if she's napping and rearing and you're letting her do what she wants following the rear for pure fear that she may do it again, you may inadvertently be teaching her that rearing results in her getting her own way.

It is difficult to determine when it is out of naughtiness or fear but acting quickly and consistently when she is naughty should help to stamp out the problem. Rearing is hard work for her, if you MAKE her do what it was that she didn't want to do in the first place.. she'll soon realise that it's easier to do that than to rear.

dont force her to stand for too long. stand for a few seconds and walk a circle or two then stand for another few seconds and gradually build up the length of time that you ask her to stand still, until you no longer have to circle.

Hello, thanks for all the replies!! :D

I do release all pressure when I asked her to stand and was also talking, stroking her neck etc. so next time she does it I will keep her moving a bit as you have said. Thanks :) x

Thanks WP
yes there are two issues,,,, fear and naughtiness,,,
ok naughty,,, i was at the back of ride, and then tried to wait for last rider,,,,,she went up two or three times, each time higher, and the next time, i would have been out the side door,,,, luckily the last rider came up by that time, and yelled really loud, ( i was past yelling ) and she got down and shot off to catch the ride,,, job done,,,
fear,,,,, i now push her on, and try and relax more,,, but i have had her a year now, and are lots more confident,,,so it seems to be coming under control a little bit,,,not had any major incidents lately....usually donks,,,, and have just found a new ride,,,, BUT that involves Alpacas..... whoops...:eek::eek::eek:
thanks again
MM
:)

newrider.com