Thrush, absolute bain of my life

Sophieandbella

Jan 11, 2022
So my mare seems to be really prone to thrush. She is bare foot, lives out 24/7 so it's not an issue of dirty/ damp bedding etc. I think her feet just hold mud more than others do. Prior to this latest bout I was picking them out every other day and spraying with milton.
All four feet have been a bit thrushy but one hind particularly bad and its got into the central sulcus. I have been using Leovet frog medic on this which is helping close it up quite nicely. I've also been spraying that either side of the frog on all her feet as I'm wary of mixing chemicals.
Anyway they seem to be doing OK but then some days there will be a bit of black pus again. Leovet advise using the frog medic only for 1-2 weeks and I think I'm on week 4 now. So what do people recommend? I'd prefer to switch to a more natural product if possible, ideally something that I can then carry on using as a preventative measure. Or does thrush become immune to products when you carry on using them long term?

Have you had a vet to see her? I don't mean to sound preachy, just wondered if a diagnosis of thrush had been confirmed.

Ive never used but i see lots of recommendations for red horse products.
Also using a mix of 50% apple cider vinegar and 50% water.

I myself have used some of my sheep zinc sulphate footdip.

Have you had a vet to see her? I don't mean to sound preachy, just wondered if a diagnosis of thrush had been confirmed.
No not had the vet out. My equine podiatrist confirmed it was thrush in the central sulcus. The frog medic seems to be really helping with that but every few days there will be a bit of black gunge down the sides of the frog again. Looking for something that's going to get rid of it once and for all!
I'll check out the red horse products, thanks

Reactions: Bodshi
I really like the red horse field paste, but honestly upping picking to once/twice daily will help heaps. Occasional soaks in Milton (it takes 15 mins to kill bacteria) help, I’d do that first, then field paste and pick as often as possible until clear, then field paste at least weekly.

I really like the red horse field paste, but honestly upping picking to once/twice daily will help heaps. Occasional soaks in Milton (it takes 15 mins to kill bacteria) help, I’d do that first, then field paste and pick as often as possible until clear, then field paste at least weekly.
Belle get feet picked twice daily, everyday but she still gets it occasionally 😔

I would echo red horse products. Clean the hoof and apply the paste every three to four days. Brush on iodine to the rest of the hoof.

But it's going to clear up quicker if you pick out the feet daily and allow air to get to the hoof.
You may find changing to a more regular trim cycle helps as the frog won't get the chance to grow over so much.
Milton could be causing the hoof to become too dry and the frog to crack and bacteria then gets in.

Eta. Just watched a good talk on soles.
There is no such thing as perfect hooves, and even if we do everything for the horse, sometimes they get thrush, abscess etc.

newrider.com