Thrush on draft that won’t pickup feet!

LoveShires

Feb 9, 2020
Cleantrax is really good stuff but you generally need the foot pretty clean before hand and have to soak for a long time (45 mins) with liquid up to the fetlock in some kind of boot, which I suspect would be challenging, I would probably do that once he's better having his feet messed with. Apple cider vinegar (non-pasteurized/'with the mother') is a good option, cheap, easy to get, and mild but effective. For soaks mix 50/50 with water and soak for 15 mins, it's mild and cheap enough that you can do it twice daily if you need to or weekly for maintenance :)

Something like this may also be good for soaking as it is large with a small lip around the edge and won't tip over, you could hopefully lead him onto it and get 2 feet soaked at a time https://www.amazon.com/Draper-31937-Mortar-Mixing-Board/dp/B00GYYB7MG/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=builder+mixing+tray&qid=1581320450&sr=8-3 If it's a bit slippy (as any rubber can be when wet) and small piece of old carpet in the bottom should help.
I have the Apple cider vinegar with the mother. Is the vinegar just to help clean the hoof or does it help with the thrush?

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
...la la land
Helps with the thrush. Killing the bad bacteria. Don't overuse as it can also kill the good bacteria.
I use some of my sheep foot dip on my horses. Which basically contains zinc oxide. Not something I do too often as it can over dry the foot. But used sensibly will kill nasty bacteria like thrush infections.

Reactions: Jessey

LoveShires

Feb 9, 2020
Helps with the thrush. Killing the bad bacteria. Don't overuse as it can also kill the good bacteria.
I use some of my sheep foot dip on my horses. Which basically contains zinc oxide. Not something I do too often as it can over dry the foot. But used sensibly will kill nasty bacteria like thrush infections.
Thank you very much