Thrush Treatment

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Figured I'd share after big success', I brought Nettex foot master spray (the stuff meant for sheep and cattle) about 6 weeks ago and applied to Jess' feet, she always gets low grade thrush in winter (I've tried everything from topical over the counter stuff, natural remedies and soaks of Milton and cleantrax, all of which would get rid of it short term but it would soon be back) :( Also applied it to my friends horse that I trim that has had pretty bad thrush all summer despite various treatments. Both cleared up immediately after 1 treatment and it isn't back yet! I didn't expect it to work that well :)

I also applied it to Jess' hoof wall, below where she got the 'mud fever' last xmas that effected the hoof wall, as it was still growing through very rough despite the skin bit having cleared up last January. 1 squirt and its looking way better and far less rough :) As the main ingredient in the spray is anti-fungicidal I think I was on to something when I felt like the 'mud fever' was actually a fungal infection as anti-biotics didn't seem to help it at all.

I find the Barrier Hygiene Foot spray for sheep very good for thrush plus it is natural. their cream for mud fever is also very good both as a barrier cream and to soft the scabs and heal the skin underneath.

Just don't tell anyone its purple and can go pink and leave a long term stain. I had some sheep I treated on there heads as the flies were bugging them. They still have pink hair and horns are pink several months on. But it does work.
I also used it on chunky sheath area last winter when he got that nasty wire cut which got infected. It dried all the pus area up.

Reactions: Jessey
Just don't tell anyone its purple and can go pink and leave a long term stain. I had some sheep I treated on there heads as the flies were bugging them. They still have pink hair and horns are pink several months on. But it does work.
I also used it on chunky sheath area last winter when he got that nasty wire cut which got infected. It dried all the pus area up.
I came into work one day this week with a purple hand, really shouldn't apply that stuff in the dark! :p and as you say it takes ages to wash off

Reactions: Trewsers
I find the Barrier Hygiene Foot spray for sheep very good for thrush plus it is natural. their cream for mud fever is also very good both as a barrier cream and to soft the scabs and heal the skin underneath.
I think I tried all of the tack shop shelf horse treatments, most barely touched it. I think it's a bit to do with our soil here as most horses I look at have thrush to some extent, its sand littered with very sharp flints, its very abrasive and the flint cuts let the nasties in to get a hold.

I think I tried all of the tack shop shelf horse treatments, most barely touched it. I think it's a bit to do with our soil here as most horses I look at have thrush to some extent, its sand littered with very sharp flints, its very abrasive and the flint cuts let the nasties in to get a hold.
I found it worked well for us on boxy donkey feet plus it is aimed at sheep so it is quite strong and cheaper than horse stuff....I used to alternate it with purple sheep spray but found I preferred it as it seemed to be quite deep cleaning

That's the stuff I use too. Jack had a touch of thrush a few years ago and I asked my farrier what to use. He said "that good purple spray" and when I produced my can he said "Yup, that's the right one" My horses all get a spritz on their soles and crevices regularly, as a preventer.

I came into work one day this week with a purple hand, really shouldn't apply that stuff in the dark! :p and as you say it takes ages to wash off

Hehehe we should have a purple hand gang! I'm scrubbin and purple spraying her back foot atm, as she has another cavity in it. I look weird with my purple fingers......and spotted hands!

newrider.com