Thursday Thread how often do you exercise your horse

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I have currently lost interest in riding, but that might just be because I have been so focused on the course and getting it done. It's fine but I am pretty wiped out and now it's raining so not exactly enticing!

So she's getting groundwork, jumping, polework, transitions etc because the nuts and bolts of it, I love looking after a horse, I love groundwork but I can take or leave the ridden.
So can she so that's ideal.

Over to you.

Reactions: Jessey
I have three but only one that can be exercised. I would love to ride him more, but I have issues.
Firstly, my confidence is not enough to take him out alone yet. So, I have to rely on Mr T for support (plus he loves riding him too) and atm work is dominating a lot of things - riding being one of them.
My other issue is time because of the girls (see below)
The girls - I love being around them (perhaps as well given they take up a huge portion of my day on and off until nine of an evening!) I chose to keep Storm going and will do my best by her no matter what. But that goes with a big commitment - she needs in hand walking three times a day, she needs in hand grazing four times a day and moving into several smaller paddocks in between. And come hell or high water she HAS to have her hour grazing in hand before breakfast (including in force ten wind and rain:p) We have to constantly monitor her leg - and what she's doing on it plus she needs her brain occupied - otherwise this can lead to trouble. So all in all, between leg scratches on the old bird (Chloe) who also needs a lot of care, some days I am just too weary to tack up (I know this sounds rubbish). Even though we've settled here - there are always lots of things that need doing like fencing, new paddocks and maintenance, so some days if there are spare hours the time gets spent on those. I enjoy it though and it's nice to see an end result like a nice new fence. :)
I guess I could do groundwork with him, but he is such a lovely gentle giant plod - and the tack always beams at me..........................................
I didn't have anything to ride for a long time - neither did Mr T, and you would have thought we'd be squeezing Zi rides in constantly, but it just hasn't worked out like that. Good job he's such a lovely horse and does not mind if you ride him every day or once a year!lol

Well, since Belles arthritis started getting worse I've been trying to ride most days, we don't go far and we mostly only walk but it's made a huge difference to her mobility. I would be equally happy doing ground work with her or just spending time with her though.
I think we often put a lot of pressure on ourselves to ride sometimes and we really shouldn't, as long as the horses are happy and we are happy who cares.

Reactions: Trewsers
I exercise Ben everyday, either under saddle or long reining. If I ever miss a day I feel really bad because it is so important for his rehab. We are only walking for 45 minutes per day in straight lines. Sometimes it gets a little tedious and I start clock watching, but then I dream of the day when he may be able to trot and that keeps me going.

Reactions: Trewsers
I try to do 5 days a week, but due to longstanding soundness issues it's usually mostly walking & not always long rides. It's a fine line - enough exercise helps him a lot, too little is a problem as is too much.

Ginger is ridden five times a week. Now I’m back up to three horses it’s hard work with a full time job.

I walk the dogs and gym before work after work is ponies.
Ginger is ridden every day after work. Peanut it just groomed in the field. Eddie is removed from field for either a walk and some on hand training or just removed and checked over.

Sat is Eddie day for proper training

Depends if the bugger has injured herself ;) I used to do 6 days a week when we were competing, that reduced to 5 when we switched to doing more distance, since her lameness issues a few years ago I find she's better doing alternate days if I'm going further or can do daily short rides (under 2 hours) but can do 3 or 4 longer days if I'm careful. Recently it's not even been worth saddling up for the under 30 minutes we've built up to (and been knocked back from repeatedly with 1 thing after another) luckily I'm just as content now days to just pootle around the yard tending to their every need :)

I ride both days at weekends and on my day off during the week, so that's three times. I try to squeeze in a ride after work at least once a week too, but it doesn't always happen. I've no idea why, I used to ride nearly every evening but somehow I just don't seem to have the time at the moment. I think it's possibly because my OH is being more demanding of my time - wanting me to help in the garden (his new hobby) or just wanting to eat earlier in the evening. Damned inconvenient really. At least one of the weekly rides will be a walk in the bareback pad, just chillin' ...

I try to ride 6 days a week to stop him piling weight on. However this on/off rain makes it difficult as I don’t want him out in a rug, nor do I want to put a saddle on a shopping wet horse. He and I both hate lunging and haven’t enough experience between us to long rein (must book some lessons). The other problem is that he won’t hack out alone, so 6 days in the school gets to be very boring if we can’t find someone to ride out with us. In reality he probably gets worked 4 times a week on average.

I haven't ridden since Sunday this week but I've lunged every day. But some days I will do 8 days riding then a day off with billy. Other times I do one day work on day off particularly with chunky. I have lost some enthusiasm to ride at the moment but that's only because I'm too knackered with my job and all the other animals I'm finishing at 11 at night. I keep telling myself when the other stuff with the animals drops off I will be able to get back to riding more. But if you average out horses workload its 3 to 4 times a week.

I try to ride 6 days a week to stop him piling weight on. However this on/off rain makes it difficult as I don’t want him out in a rug, nor do I want to put a saddle on a shopping wet horse. He and I both hate lunging and haven’t enough experience between us to long rein (must book some lessons). The other problem is that he won’t hack out alone, so 6 days in the school gets to be very boring if we can’t find someone to ride out with us. In reality he probably gets worked 4 times a week on average.
I enjoy longreining and often take her around the field and switch to a bit of lunging.
I carry a child's lunge whip as it's cheaper than a driving whip for back up.

newrider.com