tiny problem. New yard.

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Well sox appears to be very happy at his new yard dispiriting it only been a few days since we moved there. Which I am really pleased with. I love seeing him actually been a horse with other horses and a large field not just a post stamp size field. Everyone e is really lovely and friendly.

This is where the problem seems to lie. Me and the other liveries all work different shifts. I do 7 til 3 or 12 til 8. One of the girls is at uni so generally had the afternoons off or or only does a few hours at uni. For the moment. The other girl either does 7 til 5 or 8 til 6. Though there's one day she starts early afternoon. I spoke to the girl at uni and she said she is quite happy to do favours but doesn't want to to be a permanent thing which is fine. .. I am rambling here. Basically they don't turn out til late ish either half 7 for one girl or the other won't turn out til 10 sometimes. Sox gets upset by himself ,the field is quite boggy and not flat and as well as he may do himself an injury from it . It's the shouting that he can do that gets me! I have asked if they wanted me to turn there's out at least one of them so sox has company but they said thanks but no thanks. If I am on an early the latest I can turn him out is half 6 quarter to 7 depending on where I am working. If I am on a late my mum said was he would kindly bring him in but I don't want to have to rely on my mum really. I am just a bit stuck and not to sure what to do.

Do you know why they said thanks but no thanks. Seems the obvious solution to me.

If the 7:30 girl won't let you turn out will she turn Sox out with hers instead?

Does your yard not offer extra's like turning them out for you? It may be a short term solution.

TBH - I wouldnt trust someone new to do my horse for me within a few days of them coming to my yard - I would wait and get to know them a little first, make sure they are like minded etc.

Reactions: Jayne
This happened to me. It was very frustrating as Rubic was ok out by herself so I would just put her out. Then I had people complaining that she was upset (any time I ever saw her out by herself she never even lifted her head from the grass) or just that it wasn't right that she was out by herself. So I said to them I was happy to put their horse out to keep her company before I went to work.... NO was the answer but they were happy to put Rubic out on my behalf and charge me for it if I wanted, funny that (they weren't employed by the yard, just liveries that wanted to be in charge). Rubic just kept getting put out by herself and the two of us were happy. I personally didn't want anyone at the yard I was on to touch Rubic (mainly because some of them were horrible people or that they just didn't do things quite the way I wanted (eg feeding treats when putting a horse out etc)) so can understand why other people wouldn't want anyone else dealing with their horse.

I'm sorry I know this doesn't help you but I'd be a bit wary of getting into a favour-for-a-favour type agreement at first. If it is an option, pay that little bit extra to get him turned out when there will be company in the field or perhaps rely on your mum until you are settled at the yard and then work something out.

Probably not an option money wise, but really the easiest way would be to have your own second horse to keep him company. I hate relying on others as at some point the favours will not be possible.

Reactions: squidsin
I think turn him out early and try not to worry! It's unlikely he'll come to harm. Perhas you can negotiate someone else to do it a bit later onceyou know the fellow liveries better.

Reactions: Chrisnscully
He will get used to it. They have made it clear that they deal with theirs and thats how they like it so I would just do your horse and leave them to it. You wont be there to hear him shouting and normally they only shout for a short time before going to graze.

Absolutely support what MrC has said - he'll soon learn the other one comes out after a short while - perhaps give him some hay or a few carrots/treats chucked about to amuse him.

I agree with Nat - they don't all get used to it, some do but some just never will. It is all very well just saying ' Oh leave him too it he will be grand if you just ignore him' - great advice to a certain extent, but not helpful if Lauren comes up to find he HAS really lost it and thrown himself through the wire or something equally alarming. And she then has yet another injury to worry about. :rolleyes:

I would be more inclined to try and introduce single grazing to him a little at a time.....for those of you who have been on here long enough to know Sox's history, he is a quite a highly strung boy and Lauren is doing a great job with him but he needs quite precise and careful handling IMO, to help him settle into his new yard and become the fabulous horse he obviously is under all his stress and nerves.

If slowly trying to acclimatise him to going out alone for a few hours doesn't work, then try and find another answer that will work for him. :)

Reactions: Trewsers
Would another let you turn theirs out even if it wasn't a reciprocal favour? This is what I did on my last yard. Annoying because it was two trips up a long track, but even though Tobes was not super happy with that particular horse, it was better than none!

Everyone has on opinion I suppose.

Maybe that yard isn't for you as if I had a routine that worked for me and mine round my job and someone new came and what they were asking wasnt suitable to my routine then I would politely decline as well.

Shame if you are both settled there and have to move.

Do you know why they said thanks but no thanks. Seems the obvious solution to me.
no I don't. Maybe because I am new.

Does your yard not offer extra's like turning them out for you? It may be a short term solution. No. Strict DIY.

TBH - I wouldnt trust someone new to do my horse for me within a few days of them coming to my yard - I would wait and get to know them a little first, make sure they are like minded etc.
tbh I don't have a choice. Not with work.

Probably not an option money wise, but really the easiest way would be to have your own second horse to keep him company. I hate relying on others as at some point the favours will not be possible.
Sox is enough for me I can't afford another.

I think turn him out early and try not to worry! It's unlikely he'll come to harm. Perhas you can negotiate someone else to do it a bit later onceyou know the fellow liveries better.
Sox is the type of horse were he can hurt himself on anything. The mud is very thick and he comes in up to his hocks covered in mud. He has pulled himself before at a previous yard and he was lame for I think a week. I dread to think what could be done with the field this boggy in some places.

Thank you everyone. I know I am new there and the liveries have to get used to me. But yeah it seems they generally do there own horses. I have spoken to one of the girls tonight and nd they said I can turn there horse out with them in the morning when I am on an early or they will turn sox out. Saves sox destroying the field.

I thought you picked this yard as they offered to assist diy? perhaps that was one of the others you were considering.
I don't think it's fair for you to expect others to change their routines within a few days of arrival to suit you, I personally wouldn't have moved to a yard if I had a horse with bad separation anxiety who was going to have to go out alone.
Hopefully the helpful liverys situation doesn't change or she doesn't change her mind.

Reactions: PePo
Yup, it looks to me as if you have 4 options:
1) Turn Sox out on his own and hope for the best
2) Ask one of the liveries to turn him out with theirs
3) Pay someone to turn him out later
4) Move yards

Not sure there actually is anything else you can do!

I would give it a couple of weeks of turning him out alone and see how he copes with it. If you are turning out at 6:45am and someone else will be turning out at 7:30am, then it really isn't that long to leave him. Hopefully a pile of hay will help him cope until he gets used to the routine.

I think that generally on DIY yards most people like to look after their own horses, unless they are close friends who help each other out on a regular basis. I personally would not like to be responsible for turning out someone elses horse, and neither would I want another livery to touch mine.

I don't think it's fair for you to expect others to change their routines within a few days of arrival to suit you, I personally wouldn't have moved to a yard if I had a horse with bad separation anxiety who was going to have to go out alone.
hang on a minute. I never knew sox has or a had separation anxiety. I am certainly not expecting them to stop there routines for me! Sox would shout and canter around for a bit when I used to turn him out early but when others.saw him they said he was fine and eating grass.

Yup, it looks to me as if you have 4 options:
1) Turn Sox out on his own and hope for the best
2) Ask one of the liveries to turn him out with theirs
3) Pay someone to turn him out later
4) Move yards
My options are 1 and 2.
Not sure there actually is anything else you can do!

I would give it a couple of weeks of turning him out alone and see how he copes with it. If you are turning out at 6:45am and someone else will be turning out at 7:30am, then it really isn't that long to leave him. Hopefully a pile of hay will help him cope until he gets used to the routine.
Sadly I don't have a choice as it's work so he will be going out early though I may ask one of the girls to turn out. At my other yard people did do others horses and would turn out bring in if needs be. Some did buddy up which is what I did.

newrider.com