Tips for Getting a Horse Calm at a Show

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
Our yearly show is coming up in a few weeks time and I'm silently panicking about it. My friend has introduced a ridden novice horse and rider class - walk and trot only, and the judge will not ride. She's putting it first in the schedule at around 8.30am and i really want to do it as feel it will be a real confidence boost for my horse and I but I'm nervous.
Last year was our first ever show, and our entrance to the show ground was a little eventful, I had to dig my heels in and hold on for dear life as flipo got a tad excited and he's one heck of a strong horse when he wants to be!
He did eventually settle down a bit, but this was after about three hours - he looked like a stallion in his first class and I had issues trying to keep up with him!
We can walk to the grounds as its only five minutes from our field, I think (fingers crossed) his brain won't be quite as
blown by it all this time round as we went past the same grounds later last year when there was a dressage meet and while he did call to many of the horses and get a tad prancey, he was controllable (in hand).
I feel fine coping with him on the ground, I do have a fear of too many riders about the place and we are hoping to work on this in the coming weeks by gathering some fellow liveries and riding in the show ground before the big day (the field belongs to our yard owner so I can do this easily and we go past it all the time.)
I just wondered if anyone has any tips for getting my horse calm before I get on. I really wish the class was later on in the day so I could bring him up and let him mooch about eating grass for a few hours before hand, but friend's justification is that the class is better first when not so many folk are about. At this rate I'll be in there for around 6.30am in the vain hope of him settling!

If we do chicken out, I fully intend on riding that day later on, having discussed it with another friend, my aim is just to ride in the show ground that day. If its in the actual class first thing then fab, if it's just around the grounds later on once he's settled and done a couple of the other In hand classes then fine.

Enter, go and ride round the show field in plenty of time for your class, if you think he's getting above himself leave, go with the intention of leaving the second you feel out of control, that way if he does stay calm and you do the class it's an added bonus.

I think Wally's idea is a good one. Surprisingly when I took Tobes to his first show last year he was proper laid back. Although I didn't ride or enter anything, he loved it. Grazed, walked around, horses cantering in rings, all milling around, and he took it all in his stride. Tried to eat my bacon roll, stood nicely when I was chatting to people I knew and it was a case of 'who are you and what have you done with Tobes?!'

Flip was good at his show last year wasn't he? YO says ' horses only know what they have done' and I think that is correct.

I would get there early, walk around and spend the day. If he is calm enough for your class then do it, if not, just spend the day there. And ride him around when he and you are calm.

Instant magic calmer 1/2 hour before you go. Go early and stick to what he knows when you warm up at home.

Rescue remedy for you, deep breath and enjoy

When we used to go to an annual show that was very local to the yard, I used to like getting there super early so the horseboxes were coming to us rather than us getting there and suddenly seeing all theses exciting boxes!

Plenty of walking round and letting him see the sights!

Sounds like you have it pretty much covered. If it gets too much, leave. Otherwise, go with no expectations other than to get home in one peice - anything else will be a bonus. Im sure you'll have a fab day :)

My RI came to a show with me last year because Hebe had found the last one really exciting, She just walked round with her, letting her look at everything but keeping her attention by asking her to do simple things - walk on, halt, turn left, turn right - until Hebe was calm. Then she handed her over to me and I did the same thing before getting on and doing it all over again. No excitement, no fuss. It was a dressage comp, and the judge commented on what a calm test we did.

I think it's probably worth doing that before you try riding, because if you're the slightest bit tense or worried the horse will pick it up. If he's not settled in time for your class, just tell them you're withdrawing; keep walking until he's settled enough for you to get on, then just ride round calmly and you'll have achieved your aim.

you'll be fine :) he must have seen other horses and a few horseboxes before, no :) and you can walk and trot round a field/an arena. AND it's the first show of the day, so he wont have time to hang about getting wound up :) and if worst comes to worst, any rude riders in the warmup ring will soon scamper when they see how big he is :) have fun, i'm sure it'll be fine :) x

newrider.com