Today’s challenge : for a total of £30.........

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
Find me some items that I can use as a simple horse agility course.
I have poles already and jumps wings, so these can be used. I thought maybe hoola hoops - flags - cones ( but proper cones are expensive).
It was an idea my riding instructor mentioned today to make lessons a little different, so the items would only be used a few times over the year, hence the low budget. Also, must be things that can be kept outside or in half a tiny shed.
Any suggestions?

They don't need to be used a few times of the year, you can probably find a use for them monthly as your ideas grow.

For budget / free - think of the local recycling centre or tip if they sell anything. EBay and preloved.
Cones are expensive but "coughs" left over in the hedge ones are free.

Tarp is my obvious choice
Tyres
Cut up left over pieces of rubber mat
Old carpet pieces
Lunge line to make a gate from the jump wings. Or to make the windmill if your RI / yourself can find a way to attach to get it to work
Barrels
Plastic water containers
Buckets
Flags with or without garden cane to attach to.

What can you borrow from home? Umbrella? Clothes line with or without old clothes? Shopping bags & baskets? Garden canes?

Canes could also be laid out as a box to stand in, or grid/maze to walk through, or one balance on jump wings to ride/lead under.

I brought some cheap bunting from amazon, I'm sure you could use that for various things. Pipe lagging is useful too.

Theres a horse under there somewhere. Raid some skips from builders then often have plastic wraps or bits of sheet.
IMG_20160506_195900073_HDR.jpg

I have a collection of road cones. All free. Laid out. To weave in and out of. Also use as pole raisers and also lay two together at point which encourages horse to pick feet up as he trots over. Also the orange ones are high enough I can reach down pick up and swing forward and back, move sideways from sitting in saddle. I also practice dropping them beside if there on tarmac they make a lovely bang. Also make the horses walk into them and knock them over, then practice them stepping over without panic.

IMG_20180904_192114618.jpg

I'm going to get some banners that they use to advertise events round the town they come in all colours. I'm going to hang from some trees as my one lad hates stuff above his head. I'm going to split some as well so that he has to walk through them with it trailing on his back.
I've got some long bamboo poles which are really light. Tied together and pushed into ground. From the top I cut some plastic feed sacks up like streamers. They really flapped in the wind. I then rode through. The only thing was that if he stepped sideways he would be into the upright of the bamboo. That's why I'd prefer to hang from a tree. I think its safer. Haven't got any pictures.

This appeared on one of my usual hacking routes a couple of weeks ago. They were doing an orienteering event that day. My lad wouldn't go near. So I want one to practice with but that will cost. Great flap and it swung round in different directions.
IMG_20190511_145831.jpg

Plastic drinks bottles which have been stamped on make great items to walk on. An old sheet or duvet cover can be converted into a curtain with some jump wings and a pole at the top. Balls of all shapes and sizes are great too.

Also balls and balloons are cheap enough.
You can use a stick to lean down and push a football or burst the balloons.
Christmas or Halloween decorations usually have something useful in it.
I put a snowman outfit over a cone once and she hit it and it hit her back. So she sniffed it politely next time.

• Haha
Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com