Today I’m using a sheath cleaning company!!

Toz

Jul 14, 2019
Such a bizarre job to have don’t you think?!
I’m generally more than happy to do the task myself, not my favourite but it’s fine. Poor Barney suffers with maggots usually a few times a year so I regularly have a hand up his bits...
Oz however has been far less obliging and had dirty patches on the insides of his hind legs so needs doing.
It’s impossible though, he freaks out, breaks the string if tied up and kicks madly. As I can’t do it AND hold him and have no helper I figured for £20 it was worth a try! I’ve been completely honest and told them he’s going to be hard work, they said no problem and they have rarely failed to get the task done!
I’m really quite intrigued! Anyone used one before?

Poor Oz :( he’s currently chilling completely clueless as to what’s about to happen!

I haven't, but am currently debating how to approach a friend to do my boys, she's actually G's owner and a recently qualified vet who apparently has a thing for de-beaning, and she's very petite so think she would have more luck with small bits than I will with my broad hands ;) but what a subject to bring up :D
I would tend to agree if you have a difficult one and no second pair of hands, then 20 quid is peanuts to get the job done :)

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Yes I used for Ale. Was super impressed as he's not the easiest to handle and I can't get near it without him cow kicking. She spent some time working towards it not just grabbed and think that helped alot. She found no bean and wasn't particularly grubby so haven't bothered since. I only wanted to get it done in the first place as noticed he'd had it out more than often and wanted to check he wasn't uncomfortable about anything. Agree for the price it's well worth it!

Yes. I used one last year. Mylo is my first gelding and I just didn’t fancy getting my hand up there. She did a great job. He wasn’t too impressed, but stood for her whilst I stuffed treats in his mouth!!
No bean found, just a bit of dirt, so I will just get her out once a year for peace of mind.
She did comment that she found geldings who lived out, or had plenty of turnout every day, tended to be ‘cleaner’ she found bigger beans in horses who were stabled more.

Ramsey would NEVER drop so I rarely saw his! Even under sedation the vet fought to get hold! Hogan, however, dangles at every opportunity, so at least he's easy to check. Looks very clean at the moment.

• Haha
Ramsey would NEVER drop so I rarely saw his! Even under sedation the vet fought to get hold! Hogan, however, dangles at every opportunity, so at least he's easy to check. Looks very clean at the moment.
This just made me giggle :) Funny isn't it how some of the boys are happy to wave their willies about and others are really shy about it.

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy
I used the equine winky washer for mine. She started it off as a sideline and now if FB is anything to go by she's really busy - she publishes which postcode area she's going to be in and I don't even recognize some, she must travel some miles. I liked her because apart from getting the business done (two beans in Raf's case on her first visit), she didn't push her services on me and said neither horse would need doing again for a year. Raf's a bit funny about having his tackle manhandled but he was good for her, and Jack practically lifted his leg to give her easier access as soon as she walked in his stable with the bucket!

• Haha
Reactions: Russet and Huggy
This just made me giggle :) Funny isn't it how some of the boys are happy to wave their willies about and others are really shy about it.
It is funny! My friend's pony got his sunburned, he had it out so much - she can't count how many photos he's spoilt by, er, " exposing " himself. She gets very frustrated at him!

• Haha
Reactions: Russet and Jessey
It is funny! My friend's pony got his sunburned, he had it out so much - she can't count how many photos he's spoilt by, er, " exposing " himself. She gets very frustrated at him!
Ohh! Yes I have a really gorgeous photo of my daughters beloved pony stood with bubbles the Shetland who we still have. I framed it without even realising. :D
Well it went well. She arrived with her husband which I found even more amusing for some reason. Donned a large odd looking helmet and got to work.
My first instinct was to tell them to stop and leave as they seemed a bit nervous and Oz has taken a long time to get him to chill out and not panic at stuff, he was getting scared and I don’t want to push him back to freaking out being his go to reflex.
However we twitched him and he did let her get the job done.
Interestingly he was really happy to be approached and patted by her husband. He’s not around men often but has always been obviously worried by them- by any new person for a time but definitely men. So I was really pleased with that. Big improvement.

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
Ohh! Yes I have a really gorgeous photo of my daughters beloved pony stood with bubbles the Shetland who we still have. I framed it without even realising. :D
Well it went well. She arrived with her husband which I found even more amusing for some reason. Donned a large odd looking helmet and got to work.
My first instinct was to tell them to stop and leave as they seemed a bit nervous and Oz has taken a long time to get him to chill out and not panic at stuff, he was getting scared and I don’t want to push him back to freaking out being his go to reflex.
However we twitched him and he did let her get the job done.
Interestingly he was really happy to be approached and patted by her husband. He’s not around men often but has always been obviously worried by them- by any new person for a time but definitely men. So I was really pleased with that. Big improvement.
I don't know why but this description has me sniggering and wondering what on earth :p describe this weird helmet? :D

• Haha
Sorry but you need @Flipo's Mum :)

I guess my thoughts are how would you advertise this service and attract just people with horses!
I suppose if you have an annual vet check they could include that?
My mare doesn't mind her teats being cleaned but I don't do it too often as the body just produces more oils.

What's her number my lass would love him!
Saying that she doesn't reverse into geldings trying to eat anymore.

• Haha
I don't know why but this description has me sniggering and wondering what on earth :p describe this weird helmet? :D
it was really huge and red with a wide peak (ear to ear maybe rather than front like a riding hat or cap) the peak was black and flipped up and down!

I think I’ve seen them in some kind of sport but can’t for the life of me decide what!

newrider.com