Today was..Interesting/discouraging(rant+pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
erm...if he is not going well, your not on form, running out etc. very poor time to start raising the jumps!
Very poor way to educate a horse on his third time jumping I'm afraid, you only raise the jumps when there are no errors at base height.
Poor horse :(

Well, for starters, hitting him on the head will make him head shy!

secondly, raising the jumps when he is obviously not having a good day is bad. you should just do one last jump to end it on a good note.

also, has his saddle been checked as it looks very far forward in the 2nd pic and if his tack is causing him any discomfort it could cause him to bite while being tacked up.

I think you should really work on your own riding and his way of going on the flat before attempting jumping.

Like already said probably not the best thing to do to raise up the jump but at least you ended it on a good note:)

Did you actually hit him on the head or just tap??

I agree with getting his saddle checked, he might of just been having a bad day but better be safe than sorry.

Well, for starters, hitting him on the head will make him head shy!

secondly, raising the jumps when he is obviously not having a good day is bad. you should just do one last jump to end it on a good note.

also, has his saddle been checked as it looks very far forward in the 2nd pic and if his tack is causing him any discomfort it could cause him to bite while being tacked up.

I think you should really work on your own riding and his way of going on the flat before attempting jumping.

I suspect the weather because it went from sunny and warm to rain...

Actually the first time I raised it he went over it no problem, and secondly I did end it by having him jump 1'6 and left it at that. I've never had him bite me or run out or even so much as not follow a command, so something must have just been off today for him.

I suspect the weather because it went from sunny and warm to rain...

Actually the first time I raised it he went over it no problem, and secondly I did end it by having him jump 1'6 and left it at that. I've never had him bite me or run out or even so much as not follow a command, so something must have just been off today for him.

have to be toally honest with you, from what you have described he is showing he is in discomfort,
as others have said, he proberly needs that saddle checking,

did you start him off with trotting poles ?

does he work well in walk, trot and canter ?

when was the last time he had the dentist ?

or saddle fitter ?

these are all checks ild do with my horse if she ever showed signs like that :)

have to be toally honest with you, from what you have described he is showing he is in discomfort,
as others have said, he proberly needs that saddle checking,

did you start him off with trotting poles ?

does he work well in walk, trot and canter ?

when was the last time he had the dentist ?

or saddle fitter ?

these are all checks ild do with my horse if she ever showed signs like that :)

He has never done any ground work jumping before. I just actually jumped him for the first time last week, and he has had no issues whatsoever he loves it. He normally always has a great trot, canter etc that is very smooth but today everything was sloppy and rushed. I'm thinking about it now as I'm at work(not in the best mood) that I'm trying to prove something to people I think:eek:, because I feel like since a guy lol I need to do everything well, when in reality I've only been riding less than a year:rolleyes:.

I've gone from jumping a handful of times on a 15k horse with cross poles to jumping 2' on a horse with really no training(remember his owners didn't take good care of him before I came). He seems to really love jumping like I said he has had no issues with ANYTHING I've asked of him till today. I know I will be great at jumping with King but everyones right..I need to work on me first and small things with him instead of trying to get him to jump 2'6 his third day jumping(which he did 1 time today). I'm teaching him bad habits:eek:

I think your in too much of a hurry to jump! Riding isnt all about jumping and getting the jumps higher, it doesnt prove anything really!
Best get the basics sorted first...some people have suggested trotting poles, make sure you space them right also.
My last private lesson consisted of nothing but walk-trot-walk-halt-trot transtitons to get the horse listening, and a few rein backs which I had never did....if you have been riding only for a year, you wont be experienced enough to be jumping a horse that has no/little experience with jumping
do you have instruction?

poor thing, just like us, they can have pretty full on *really cant be bothered with this chit* days. The days are getting shorter, the quality and feed value in the grass is changing, many horses are starting to be a little lethargic in response.

Put it aside as a non day, let him know you dont hold it against him, an assess him for perhaps needing an increase in fiber and or compound mix.

Agree with what has been said above.
Your horse's behaviour is your horse trying to tell you that something isn't right. You need to listen to him and find out what the problem is i.e. teeth, back, tack. So the first thing I would do before anything else is to get your horse FULLY checked out.

Also, trying to jump a horse which has never established itself on the ground to me is insane I'm sorry. It sounds as though you are severely trying to run before you can walk. Going by the pictures you don't look very inbalance. I would suggest getting a good flatwork instructor to help you and your horse on the flat, at the same time have jumping lessons on an experienced horse to progress your own jumping, then and only then once you and your horse are ready would I start working towards jumping. This obviously is after getting your horse fully checked out for any discomfort issues.

ETA;

So I popped him in the side of the head

this is no way to treat a horse!

I truely think you need to go back to basics if you want to teach King properly.

As I have said on a previous thread, groundwork is just as important for jumping (if not more so) than the jumping itself. As you are a novice then the best and only way IMO is get the regular help of an RI. They can show you hundreds of different excercises for you to go away and practice together. Also show you how to ensure that ground poles are set the correct distance apart for the King's striding.

Please please don't attempt to do more jumping with him until you get the basics in place. Take things slowly and you will have a long and successful jumping career together. :)

As much as I love all you guys I kinda disagree somewhat lol. I learned a lot of what I know on my own, and yes my form sucks I don't deny that but for only riding like a year I've done what a lot of people it takes more time to do(even if the wrong way). I like how everyone seems to really only have gripes about my riding:mad:. I know I'm doing things the wrong way, but then again I don't show so it doesn't really matter that much:rolleyes:. Call me stubborn I'm ok with that:p. Keep in mind most of you have been riding for ages and have grown up doing things the right way, but I kinda like the fact that I had an RI that just let me go jump one day without having to worry about if I was in 2 point correctly for example. My back does hurt like the dickens tho and I think I'm gonna get myself a body protector:D. As far as the bite mark is concerned it's huge and red thanks for asking about how I was doing, poor king right even though he's just an animal:rolleyes:. Sorry that's my rant...

I think what most people are trying to say NightRider that even if your own way works for YOU, it might not be working for your horse, which I think we'll all agree is paramount.

I would not be paying for the services of a RI who just 'let me get on with it' - I can do that by myself!

I think what most people are trying to say NightRider that even if your own way works for YOU, it might not be working for your horse, which I think we'll all agree is paramount.

I would not be paying for the services of a RI who just 'let me get on with it' - I can do that by myself!

That was my old RI who I've realized was not as great of a teacher as she said she was. My new one has been to worlds for western and some dressage:p but haven't had a chance to really get in a good lesson with her.

I know I'm just being dumb today because I'm frustrated, but I mean he has been so fine lately and for a horse that literally just started jumping last week and now is jumping 2' I think thats pretty good:cool:. I mean he literally has never bit me or ran out on me, he has always just done everything I asked of him and really enjoyed it. I think Monday I will just work with him on cantering and not jump at all. Sorry guys I'm not trying to be an A**hole I'm just upset.

I think, as others have said, you are in way too much of a hurry to jump. King sounds as if he's in pain somewhere (probably saddle) and you need to have that checked out. He needs to be taught to jump properly, by doing trotting poles, raised trotting poles, canter poles etc. and until he's doing these perfectly and his flatwork is established you really shouldn't be trying to jump him-never mind putting them higher when he's obviously not having a good day. By jumping him too early you will just be confusing him and making him feel that jumping is something he doesn't want to do - as you experienced today when he was running out.
You must also take into account that it could be your riding thats confusing him, get lessons with a good instructor to help you both improve. :)
And as for "popping him round the head", that is no way to behave towards your horse, you'll only make him headshy.
Good luck anyway. :)

I think, as others have said, you are in way too much of a hurry to jump. King sounds as if he's in pain somewhere (probably saddle) and you need to have that checked out. He needs to be taught to jump properly, by doing trotting poles, raised trotting poles, canter poles etc. and until he's doing these perfectly and his flatwork is established you really shouldn't be trying to jump him-never mind putting them higher when he's obviously not having a good day. By jumping him too early you will just be confusing him and making him feel that jumping is something he doesn't want to do - as you experienced today when he was running out.
You must also take into account that it could be your riding thats confusing him, get lessons with a good instructor to help you both improve. :)
And as for "popping him round the head", that is no way to behave towards your horse, you'll only make him headshy.
Good luck anyway. :)

I've been jumping off and on for about the past 3 or so months actually just not very consistently, and it can't be the saddle because it's the same one he is used to and he's never had an issue. It has to be something with the weather because it was such a dramatic change of climate. To clear it up I didn't punch him in the face or anything but it's not like im the only one who gets after their horse. Normally I'm the biggest pushover ever I just got frustrated. Why am I being so defensive anyhow?. I just feel like no one has anything good to actually say about the jumping becasue of the post, but when I've posted other times about how he's been doing I get constructive criticism but I get some well dones also:) because of this it's all bad:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
newrider.com