Today's experience / observation

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Today I learnt that I am getting better at interpreting horse speak:oops:o_O / the way they communicate with each other whatever you want to call it! But oh my! Talk about my heart in my moutho_O:eek:
As everyone knows Storm is on box rest with intervals of in hand walks and grazing / rolling etc. Every day I try and do something with her to keep her sane and so far so good she has amazed me. I take her into her special promised land which is a wonderful field that we had re seeded and it is hers alone and nobody else has access. I wanted to keep it nice just for her, no pot holes etc. Normally she just goes in nice and chilled with me or Mr Trews and puts head down to eat. Well today she did, and I was busy day dreaming until I caught site of Zi in the farthest away paddock. I don't know why but something told me he was looking about for a roll so to divert her attention I moved her along towards the side of the pig barn. Thinking I had caught her in time I relaxed but :eek:no, she had obviously received the alert from Zi that it was synchronised roll time:eek:on the end of a leadrope. Argh. I had to stop her, too late she went down - but good girl got back up asap. Just how did she observe him before me???? I am getting better but I need to be quicker. I don't let her roll in there, I take her into the sandschool for that on a lunge line. So shaky me took her back inside and then got the lunge line. Happy to say she enjoyed a LOT of rolls in the school - she is shedding so pretty needy on that score. In future, I think I'll play safe and always have her on a lunge line.
So, amongst this random waffle what things have you learnt that to an outsider would not even be noticed?
Anything in particular?

My four do synchronised rolling too.
I have noticed that the herd dynamics are changing again. Wubby still likes to think of himself as the boss, being first through the gate, hogging the hay etc, but since Harvey went, Grace has acted as the real herd leader. But just recently Rody has been challenging her. He’s also been spending more time with Wubby. Fraser still just adores Grace and will happily follow her around, though he also has the dual roles of herd look-out and watching for us to appear at feed time. I suspect Grace’s loss of status has something to do with my not taking her out driving as I used to. It will be interesting to see what happens when I have my new knee and so can get the cart out again.
One thing hasn’t changed though, and that is the special bond between Grace and Wubby. I don’t know if others can see it, but I can.

Reactions: Trewsers
That's interesting about the synchronised rolling - when Raf was turned out with others my main rolling related observation was that he wouldn't let anyone else roll if he could help it. He'd move towards them and they'd jump up and get out of the way. I used to feel really sorry for poor old Jack because that's the first thing he always liked to do after he'd been ridden and returned to the field, but no sooner had his knees started to buckle than he'd be moved on by Raf (one of the reasons why Raf and Jack don't share any more, poor Jack got no peace).

My four do synchronised rolling too.
I have noticed that the herd dynamics are changing again. Wubby still likes to think of himself as the boss, being first through the gate, hogging the hay etc, but since Harvey went, Grace has acted as the real herd leader. But just recently Rody has been challenging her. He’s also been spending more time with Wubby. Fraser still just adores Grace and will happily follow her around, though he also has the dual roles of herd look-out and watching for us to appear at feed time. I suspect Grace’s loss of status has something to do with my not taking her out driving as I used to. It will be interesting to see what happens when I have my new knee and so can get the cart out again.
One thing hasn’t changed though, and that is the special bond between Grace and Wubby. I don’t know if others can see it, but I can.

Hope your knee gets sorted soon and is a success.

Reactions: Sparky Lily
That's interesting about the synchronised rolling - when Raf was turned out with others my main rolling related observation was that he wouldn't let anyone else roll if he could help it. He'd move towards them and they'd jump up and get out of the way. I used to feel really sorry for poor old Jack because that's the first thing he always liked to do after he'd been ridden and returned to the field, but no sooner had his knees started to buckle than he'd be moved on by Raf (one of the reasons why Raf and Jack don't share any more, poor Jack got no peace).

Fancy him moving him on like that. A long time ago when Chloe and Storm shared the field Storm could be a bit nowty and try and move her on, not often, but I know a few times I'd watch them and Chloe would paw and sniff the ground and just about to go down and madam would shunt her on! But mostly they did roll in sync. Even though everyone lives in separate paddocks they still copy each other and the first thing they do on a summers morning is all roll within seconds of each other. However if Storm's with me in future on the rope then I'll have to be more alert. I had no idea she was paying such attention to Zi!

Reactions: Bodshi
Mine normally take turns to roll, Jess generally first then the boys line up to use the spot where she just was :)

I can normally tell if Jess is on the edge of a tantrum, tonight was one of those. Her behaviour just changes subtly, more clingy, and eager, but edgy. I doubt others would notice unless they knew her normal behaviour well.

I think I know Raf inside out most of the time but today I was reminded that I shouldn’t take things for granted when he was a bit of a lunatic on our in hand walk out for some exercise and grass. He’s not been allowed turn out since November because of his skin condition but he’s normally really good. Today he spun and spooked at everything and even lifted his front legs off the floor - not like him at all. However, I did notice when I was leading him off the yard that he looked much taller than usual so I think I have learned today that if he looks tall he’ll be a prat ;) No really, if I notice that posture again I’ll be on my guard. (Either that or someone really had swapped my same horse for a nut job.)

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
Mine normally take turns to roll, Jess generally first then the boys line up to use the spot where she just was :)

I can normally tell if Jess is on the edge of a tantrum, tonight was one of those. Her behaviour just changes subtly, more clingy, and eager, but edgy. I doubt others would notice unless they knew her normal behaviour well.

I know just what you mean about the edge of a tantrum!!!

Reactions: Jessey
I think I know Raf inside out most of the time but today I was reminded that I shouldn’t take things for granted when he was a bit of a lunatic on our in hand walk out for some exercise and grass. He’s not been allowed turn out since November because of his skin condition but he’s normally really good. Today he spun and spooked at everything and even lifted his front legs off the floor - not like him at all. However, I did notice when I was leading him off the yard that he looked much taller than usual so I think I have learned today that if he looks tall he’ll be a prat ;) No really, if I notice that posture again I’ll be on my guard. (Either that or someone really had swapped my same horse for a nut job.)

You see I often take madam for granted, and the minute I do, she surprises me! I really ought to learn. And I know the looking taller part so well too:rolleyes:

newrider.com