too lightweight?

IrishDQ

Mar 14, 2006
Ireland
I'm currently considering going to look at this horse, she is a 6 year old thoroughbred mare. the only 2 things are, she looks quite fine boned and I'm wondering would I be too heavy for her, even though she is 16hh? I am 5'3'' or 5'4'' tall and I weigh about 11st. (on a diet at the moment though! :eek: )also, would a TB be capable of living out 24/7? would I be better of with something a bit heavier? :confused: I've attached the picture her owner sent me.

Attachments

• tbforsale.jpg
    tbforsale.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 101
i have to be honest i dont like anything as fine as that, but i wouldnt worry if you are 11 stone and its 16 hhs that will be fine,
the old gypsy rule of thumb for every 1hh it can carry a stone in weight for 1 hour dont beat ** self up i wish i weight 11stn LOL

looks like u'd have to feed it up and rug it up in colder months but it is a horse at the end of the day they will soon adapt to the out side world, as long as there is some natural shelter cant see it being much of a problem,

do you not have access to a stable then ?

nice looking gg considering it has less then 10" of bone haha :D

to be honest, I'm not too big a fan of very fine horses either, I prefer heavier types like hunters, ID x TB, Cob x TB etc.....

I'm only going to be renting land so no stable, hopefully there will be some natural shelter though. I was planning on rugging any horse I get in wet weather anyway because even though they probably don't need it, I'd hate to see him/her all wet and miserable looking lol.

The horse looks gorgeous, I'd have her! (then again I'm only 8st so I tend to worry about the horse being too BIG rather than not being able to carry me)

Damn,, why couldn't I have decided to go through a "late horse phase" AFTER university?

Wow certainly doesn't look 16h or 6yrs old! Was that picture taken when she was a yearling? :p :)

Just by the little bit of info you've given us I'd be looking elsewhere, just supposing she is sterotypical TB (considering she'll have at least 1 or 2 major traits)

- not ideal out 24/7 (for several reasons)
- bad feet (if you've not got an arena so constant roadwork could be an issue and you'll be in bother if she loses a shoe)
- stressy breed (out of all breeds IME they do not do well on their own, few horses do, but TB's in particular get terrible habits, fence-walking, weaving, windsucking etc

I had more than that but I can't think.

Adding that to the fact you don't particularly like TB's - Just leaves me thinking why you think shes good for you? lol - cheap :p

Last edited:
irish, i'llhelp u find a better horse, if your not particually fussed on fines, better off getting soemthing you really love, ID and their crosses tend to be a winner iv had 4 of them my self now and i love the breed they have ween'd me off shires and my clydesdales lol they eat less lol

I thought she looked very young myself, especially because she seems to have such a thin face *shrug*
maybe I will be better of looking for something else, feel like an idiot now for wasting the owners time emailing back and forth..... :(

Don't - its just an email!

And by the looks of things, the crate for example - unless she was a yearling when that picture was taken, she is not 16h nowhere near it, so its the owner who has been wasting your time!

Last edited:
ok here we go

nice looking suffolk punch 14 yrs old looks easy to do http://www.horsemart.co.uk/AdvertRe...yResultsHorses.asp/Web/DisplayHorseDetail.asp

next we have

this pritty Irish Draught has a shiver but ... for GP happy hacker wouldnt worry about it too much
http://www.horsemart.co.uk/AdvertRe...yResultsHorses.asp/Web/DisplayHorseDetail.asp

this 1 looks solid but could do with a bit more weight slightly under for my liking lol

http://www.horsemart.co.uk/AdvertRe...yResultsHorses.asp/Web/DisplayHorseDetail.asp

if i had more money i'd have a look at this 1 looks nice and quite young :)

and this breed needs no rugs and livesout all year, the only heavy horse i'v yet to own lol

hope that helps in some mad way x

I will email her now and ask how old the horse was when the picture was taken.....

Courage, thanks so much for finding those horses and they are lovely but unfortunatly I'm in Ireland and budget doesn't allow for travelling to UK to get a horse sadly!

you might be lucky being in Ireland could you get your self to a sale ? i got my ID mare from a sale over there and had her shipped over, but i did a dangerous thing and bought her off a dvd lol lease if you are there you can see the horses your self, you may get a bargin :)

IrishDQ... I'm only going to say this once more....

This is your first horse, try and get an older heavier sensible type.
If I were you I'd be looking at heavyish horses around 15 hh and around 10 years old... You need something that will be relatively easy to look after and that has had a lot of experience.

Please stop looking at such young horses, so many people on NR have bought first horses that were too much for them.

Contact your local riding club and pony club and see if they know of anything suitable for sale (or loan even). See if you can get someone experienced to go along with you if you do view anything.

Why not make it easy on yourself ? You're only a young thing.

Last edited:
Blimey I would also get her vetted. i dont think she looks 6 unless the photo is old..

I would constantly be worried about those spindly legs! Saying that I'm used to big thick log legs one at each corner lol !

Saying that the horse may be the sweetest thing ever, and simply need some proper management.

I wouldnt say she looked very hardy, however good rugging/feeding i'm sure she would cope.

I emailed the owner and asked how old she was when the photo was taken.
fits, as I said before I prefer the heavier sorts myself anyway lol. I am used to riding anything up to 16.2hh though. An ID x or Cob x would be nice I think.
I never realised horse shopping would be so difficult, of course it'd be easier if I had an extra few thousand to spend lol.

Pretty filly :) Definitely not 6 in that pic, though...

How about a Connemara? or a Connemara x? My boy shares his field with a connie, he is lovely, a bit under 15hh, lovely powerful wee fella, great jumper, indestructible feet, lives out all year round with no real need of a rug. Just what I wanted (but I went out and bought a big donkey eared IDx ;)).

she'll be fine to live out, there are lots of tb's out 24/7 @ my yard. she'll be fine to carry your wieght aswell. the only thing with tb's is that they can be quite 'scatty' so you have to be prepared to cope with bucks & rears etc.

good luck! post updates!:D

She is lovely but no way 6 in that pic. If this is your first horse, and bearing in mind I have no clue as to what experience you have, maybe a TB would not be so great.

I say that to you cos I was there, bought a TB windsucking mare as my first horse, and learnt very quickly when I got her fit, that maybe it was not one of my better moves.:D (I say bought, to be honest she was almost given to me which says it all):D

Whilst I would say I learnt a lot from her, I would also say, not all good:D

For a first horse, get yourself something that has been there and done it, that way your first venture into horse ownership is FUN. Get yourself something that you can relax on, can live out comfortably 24/7 and you can go and do whatever you want to do with it. Even older horses can have some issues, but with a young TB, you could be looking at lots of work, work, work. The right one will be out there for you at the right price its just a case of looking a bit harder.:D Have fun looking, thats what it is about, make sure you get the right one.

Not going to give you advice on what type of horse to get :) but she would be fine to be out and about over winter. I use to ride for a lady and we got a 16.1hh LW TB mare and i was like :eek: i'll break those legs!! As like you i much prefer the 'big guys'. She had *alot* of problems but the women bought her knowing the problems and we knew most of the history behind her.
But she managed perfectly well, she was out most of the year in only a LW rug, she did have a coat like a teddy bear though! :D
I hated LW types before i got her and had this whole image of the TB as being looneys, but she certainly broke the mould! Yes she still had a few moments where i thought, thank god you are a small horse :eek: but she was worth all the hard work and coped perfectly fine! i rode her and i'm about 5 foot 9in and my weight goes up and down like a yoyo! :rolleyes:
grazing.jpg

a picture of when she arrived look at those legs! :eek:

newrider.com